Covington Catholic/Scott County predictions

Covington Catholic vs. Scott County (State Championship Game)  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Covington Catholic vs. Scott County (State Championship Game)

• Covington Catholic (32-2)
    • Scott County (35-3)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gilbert is avg over 30 ppg in this tournament. Scott Co is a matchup problem for CCH.

As much as I want the Colonels to win and bring the title back to the 9th Region, I think it will be very tough.

CVH and Ruthsatz will have to contain Gilbert and Schulte will have to play the game of his life on the block.

Honestly, I don't think Scott Co's "size" will be an issue, that is the least active 7' I've ever seen. Now, they'll have to keep him off the offensive glass, but I don't think he is the difference.

Gilbert shoots the ball off the live dribble as well as anyone I've seen this year. He is REALLY hard to defend. He will certainly get his.

However, I think CovCath has more guys that can score the ball and ultimately win a fairly close game (5-7 points).

I went with Scott County to win it in the BGP contest, but honestly, after I saw Trinity I didn't think anyone would beat the Rocks. I wasn't overly impressed with SC until tonight's game. Gilbert would not be denied & he has been the tournament's best player.

Ruthsatz has been the tournament's second top player & he has the better supporting cast IMO.

It's a tough call, but I'll stick with my original thought: Scott County wins. By about 4.

After some extensive research on the treasure trove that is this site (http://www.kyhssports.freewebspace.com), I've found that this is the first time in the 88 years that there have been district tournaments (began in 1927) that two district runners-up will meet in the finals of the Sweet 16. The closest we've come before was in 1941 when Inez lost their district while St. X did not actually play in one (all Louisville city schools advanced directly to the 7th Region tourney per notes on the site). This will be the 11th time a district runner-up will win the Sweet 16. Previous winners as runners-up in their own district:

1930 - Corinth

1937 - Midway

1941 - Inez

1942 - Lafayette

1960 - Flaget

1971 - Male

1976 - Edmonson County

1979 - Lafayette

1985 - Hopkinsville

2011 - Christian County

Honestly, I don't think Scott Co's "size" will be an issue, that is the least active 7' I've ever seen. Now, they'll have to keep him off the offensive glass, but I don't think he is the difference.

Gilbert shoots the ball off the live dribble as well as anyone I've seen this year. He is REALLY hard to defend. He will certainly get his.

However, I think CovCath has more guys that can score the ball and ultimately win a fairly close game (5-7 points).

I would agree 100% with this, just based on what I saw at the Republic Bank Tourney at LexCath back in Dec.