Covington Catholic/Scott County predictions

Covington Catholic vs. Scott County (State Championship Game)  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Covington Catholic vs. Scott County (State Championship Game)

• Covington Catholic (32-2)
    • Scott County (35-3)

Honestly, I don't think Scott Co's "size" will be an issue, that is the least active 7' I've ever seen. Now, they'll have to keep him off the offensive glass, but I don't think he is the difference.

Gilbert shoots the ball off the live dribble as well as anyone I've seen this year. He is REALLY hard to defend. He will certainly get his.

However, I think CovCath has more guys that can score the ball and ultimately win a fairly close game (5-7 points).

I'm with you on this one but then again I've seen both teams once.

Edited by True blue (and gold)
fixed quote tags

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After some extensive research on the treasure trove that is this site (http://www.kyhssports.freewebspace.com), I've found that this is the first time in the 88 years that there have been district tournaments (began in 1927) that two district runners-up will meet in the finals of the Sweet 16. The closest we've come before was in 1941 when Inez lost their district while St. X did not actually play in one (all Louisville city schools advanced directly to the 7th Region tourney per notes on the site). This will be the 11th time a district runner-up will win the Sweet 16. Previous winners as runners-up in their own district:

1930 - Corinth

1937 - Midway

1941 - Inez

1942 - Lafayette

1960 - Flaget

1971 - Male

1976 - Edmonson County

1979 - Lafayette

1985 - Hopkinsville

2011 - Christian County

Info like this is why I still love this site. Awesome material right there. It hadn't even occurred to me that these two teams were both district runner-ups. :thumb:

As for the thread title, I'm going with Scott County in a close game. In close matchups like this, I tend to go with the team who has the best player/ Scott County's Gilbert=UConn's Napier. Why I picked the Huskies to get out of their pod over Villanova.

Not sure if CCH will play more man or more zone but I'd expect frosh CVH to draw Gilbert in man.

Gilbert will bust a zone to pieces. I would may do a zone chaser on Gilbert and use Schue and Schult to neutralize Long. Martini could be the X factor if CCH gets too busy worrying about Gilbert and Long.

Info like this is why I still love this site. Awesome material right there. It hadn't even occurred to me that these two teams were both district runner-ups. :thumb:

If you are really a KY HS Basketball stat geek like me you can pick up the KY HS BB Encyclopedia 1916-2013 at Joseph Beth Booksellers. It has every team, record, district results every yr, regional, player records and stats. It's like $40 but a ton of cool info.

Gilbert will bust a zone to pieces. I would may do a zone chaser on Gilbert and use Schue and Schult to neutralize Long. Martini could be the X factor if CCH gets too busy worrying about Gilbert and Long.

My guess is CVH is going to know what breath mints Gilbert chews.