February 16, 201412 yr Let's be honest, this team just isn't that good. Top 25, but not elite. Part of that is on Cal, this has been his worst coaching job IMO. The last 10 minutes of ball games, the Cats don't go to Randle, they just let the Harrison twins run into the lane and hope to get fouled while throwing up horrible shots. If Dakari is in the game you have to feature him on the block. He's too big of a defensive liability if you're not using him on offense he actually hurts the team. Not saying he's not a good player, just the opposite in fact. Just think you waste him if you don't give him the ball because he hurts the team on defense. I'd like to see Young play aggressive for an entire game, but I think alot of that goes on the twins. Didn't think WCS was bad and I don't think Poythress played enough. Frustrating game, like most this year.
February 16, 201412 yr Let's be honest, this team just isn't that good. Top 25, but not elite. Part of that is on Cal, this has been his worst coaching job IMO. The last 10 minutes of ball games, the Cats don't go to Randle, they just let the Harrison twins run into the lane and hope to get fouled while throwing up horrible shots. If Dakari is in the game you have to feature him on the block. He's too big of a defensive liability if you're not using him on offense he actually hurts the team. Not saying he's not a good player, just the opposite in fact. Just think you waste him if you don't give him the ball because he hurts the team on defense. I'd like to see Young play aggressive for an entire game, but I think alot of that goes on the twins. Didn't think WCS was bad and I don't think Poythress played enough. Frustrating game, like most this year. Disagree on Dakari defensively. He actually shows more of a willingness to consistently put a body on his man than Randle or Cauley-Stein. When WCS is "on" he's obviously a better shot blocker, but he's also prone to laying back and trying to pitch shots by out jumping guys and getting fouls instead. Dakari rebounds his area well enough and is never going to be the type of player who rebounds outside of his area because he's not explosive. Also, I don't really know which player on this team I'd want taking a last second shot. When getting a perimeter touch, Randle just as bad for putting his hand down and charging at the rim come hell or high water as the Harrisons.
February 17, 201412 yr If he's on the baseline, he's out of the coaching box. Free game for any of the 3. He was on the same side of the floor as the benches though. In your original post, I misread and thought you meant he was opposite the table. If any coach gets a T for being out of the box, its because the ref is looking for an excuse to give it. You can call that on any coach in the country during any point of any game.
February 17, 201412 yr Doesn't rebound doesn't guard, can't shoot free throws, and hasn't shown any consistency with the jumper He's the 4th leading rebounder on the team behind Randle, WCS, and Poythress. He's the 3rd best 3 point shooter (2nd if you discount Polson). 2nd leading scorer. His free throw shooting is terrible.
February 17, 201412 yr I've always taken Young to be one of those guys whose a streaky shooter. He puts up a lot of those for us out of necessity because no one else shoots it very well and when he's locked in, it really opens some things up.
February 17, 201412 yr I though that UK's zone was effective on Florida in the first half, but they played very little zone in the second half. I would also like to see Hawkins play more as he brings energy and hustle every time he's on the court. How much could it hurt by giving him, or even Hood, some of Aaron Harrison's minutes.
February 17, 201412 yr I have said a few times that I think this team could lose in the first round or make a run. Even though they lost last night, I am starting to see some things that lets me believe there is a better chance of them making a run than being knocked out early.
February 17, 201412 yr Three minutes to go in the game and the score is 60-57. The T 5 minutes earlier cost them the game? Really? James Young leads the team in scoring with 19 on 70% percent shooting, is the second leading rebounder and he sucks? Really? I see some emotion getting in the way of thinking. Here is how I see it. The Cats are still getting better. Their next challenge is to learn how to close out a game. Their defense is getting better but still needs improvement because the way you win close games at the end is by getting defensive stops. On offense, they still don't know what to go to when they need that end of the game basket. They took terrible shots in the last 4 minutes. They have to figure out how to run offense and get good looks at the end. Patience. The extra pass. Trust your teammates. It is still problems between the ears but they can fix those. I have doubts that they can fix it enough to get to a Final Four, but it is possible and would be a GREAT accomplishment in coaching by Cal if they do. Also, by the way, Florida is one heck of a team with no weaknesses.
February 17, 201412 yr Three minutes to go in the game and the score is 60-57. The T 5 minutes earlier cost them the game? Really? James Young leads the team in scoring with 19 on 70% percent shooting, is the second leading rebounder and he sucks? Really? I see some emotion getting in the way of thinking. Here is how I see it. The Cats are still getting better. Their next challenge is to learn how to close out a game. Their defense is getting better but still needs improvement because the way you win close games at the end is by getting defensive stops. On offense, they still don't know what to go to when they need that end of the game basket. They took terrible shots in the last 4 minutes. They have to figure out how to run offense and get good looks at the end. Patience. The extra pass. Trust your teammates. It is still problems between the ears but they can fix those. I have doubts that they can fix it enough to get to a Final Four, but it is possible and would be a GREAT accomplishment in coaching by Cal if they do. Also, by the way, Florida is one heck of a team with no weaknesses. Well said!!!:clap:
February 17, 201412 yr It's Monday and I still have a bad taste in my mouth. Even though it was likely over anyway, the play that really summed up the game (and the season for that matter so far) was when Prather went in between FOUR UK players and came down with the rebound. That was tough to watch.
February 17, 201412 yr If any coach gets a T for being out of the box, its because the ref is looking for an excuse to give it. You can call that on any coach in the country during any point of any game. There's a difference between being out of the box and coaching and being out of the box and whining about the officiating. Coach Cal does both, a lot and the officials told him on several trips down the floor to get back in it. That being said, the timing of the T Saturday night was awkward. Michael Stephens had heard and seen enough I assume and he took care of business at that time.
February 17, 201412 yr The thing that bothers me the most isn't that they lost, it isn't that they were just outmanned and outworked, it's that the past two season's teams have shown zero improvement from the beginning of the year. That's very alarming. How can you have a team of all freshman and sophomores and show no improvements?
February 17, 201412 yr I agree with Cal, for 30 min that was the best this team played all year and were capable of beating anybody. Unfortunately the last 10 min is clouding people's judgement. This team is improving but aren't to the point to close out big games. They're getting really close to where they need to be but just aren't there yet.
February 17, 201412 yr I agree with Cal, for 30 min that was the best this team played all year and were capable of beating anybody. Unfortunately the last 10 min is clouding people's judgement. This team is improving but aren't to the point to close out big games. They're getting really close to where they need to be but just aren't there yet. Agree, I posted back at the beginning of the season we would have to have patience with this team.
February 17, 201412 yr The better team won, no question. I felt Poythress should have more minutes. I also continue to be disappointed in the Rupp crowd. They just don't make noise. Near the end of they game, they stood...but still made no noise. That place can be so intimidating when it's really going but that's rare. I was there. The crowd was pretty awesome. Don't see how anyone could say anything different. It was loud. We stood and yelled when we made runs. We stood and yelled when we needed a stop. And the place was pretty packed.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.