When is a game counted as a game?

Maybe sounds like a silly thread title, but what are the parameters that make a game count for stats, records, etc.

Dixie did not play a game in a tourney earlier this year due to illness. Listed as a forfeit on their schedule.

Dixie did not play a game in a tourney earlier this year due to BOE rule of no travel, not because tourney cancelled the game. Game was just cancelled.

NCC/CovCath played half of a game that was suspended. No score posted on either team's schedule. What if the game would have gone 3 quarters, or deep into the 4th and then the floor deemed unsafe? Is there a definition of "game" in the rulebook?

Maybe sounds like a silly thread title, but what are the parameters that make a game count for stats, records, etc.

Dixie did not play a game in a tourney earlier this year due to illness. Listed as a forfeit on their schedule.

Dixie did not play a game in a tourney earlier this year due to BOE rule of no travel, not because tourney cancelled the game. Game was just cancelled.

NCC/CovCath played half of a game that was suspended. No score posted on either team's schedule. What if the game would have gone 3 quarters, or deep into the 4th and then the floor deemed unsafe? Is there a definition of "game" in the rulebook?

If the school was closed due to illness then I personally don't feel that the KHSAA should rule it a forfeit. However if the school wasn't closed, but the team had so many players ill that the couldn't field a team, then that would probably be just bad luck. Why? Because there's no easy way to verify that your opponent actually has that many players so ill as to be unable to attend school. That's a great deal like injuries, being ineligible due to grades or suspension or whatever. Now if your opponent wanted to be a good guy, there's no reason the game couldn't be postponed & played later.

If the school system has a policy of no travel due to the school being called off that should be 100% treated as a DNP and rescheduled if possible (definitely if a district game that influences the outcome of the district seeding).

Regarding a partially played game, well . . . you've either played the 32 minutes or you haven't unless an official calls the game due to so many ejections or technical fouls or the game getting out of hand.

JMO. Some of the officials who are on the BGP board can correct me if they know differently.

Got to believe if a team no-shows and game is not later played,,,it is a loss, need some official answers

Officials jurisdiction is terminated and the final score has been approved when all officials leave the visual confines of the playing area. This, I believe, applies to 99% of the games, a complete game. If play is suspended due to court conditions, I believe this becomes an issue for the schools, rather than an officially certified game. The CCH game would be a suspended game. A team no-show is a forfeit, and I would think that if a team cancelled late (due to illness for example) that the forfeit issue is in the hands of the non-forfeiting team. The could make a choice to make up the game, or force the forfeit.

The forfeited game was in the LexCath tourney. It would have been Dixie's last consolation game, on the last day of the tournament. It was not rescheduled because it was a tournament game.

The cancelled game was from the Scott County tourney. It would have been Dixie's first game of the tourney, but because Dixie could not get permission from the BOE they had to WITHDRAW from the tourney at the last minute.

In both cases with Dixie they could not reschedule because they were tournament games.

I believe there is a recent example of a ranked team that had to withdraw from the King of the Bluegrass tourney because they had to play a make up game from district play. Withdrawing from a tourney before it begins and having to forfeit a game in a tourney that you have already started playing in are two different things.

I believe there is a recent example of a ranked team that had to withdraw from the King of the Bluegrass tourney because they had to play a make up game from district play. Withdrawing from a tourney before it begins and having to forfeit a game in a tourney that you have already started playing in are two different things.

I don't believe "withdraw" is in the lexicon of allowable reasons not to have to forfeit. I assume they signed a contract and thus made a commitment to the KOB and thus for them to pull out still leaves the tournament and their scheduled opponent w/o a game unless the KOB was able to find a replacement. Were they? I'm sure they tried unless it was too late. If they did then there shouldn't have been a forfeit (unless the KOB was out in some way). If they didn't, then a forfeit should result.

For my information, how is it they "had to" play a make up game from district play? I know all district games must be played (unless it is late in the year, dates aren't available and the game doesn't effect the seeding), but does their particular district have some kind of rules that make them have to accept certain make up dates. I'm truly curious and am NOT attempting to be sarcastic.

Officials jurisdiction is terminated and the final score has been approved when all officials leave the visual confines of the playing area. This, I believe, applies to 99% of the games, a complete game. If play is suspended due to court conditions, I believe this becomes an issue for the schools, rather than an officially certified game. The CCH game would be a suspended game. A team no-show is a forfeit, and I would think that if a team cancelled late (due to illness for example) that the forfeit issue is in the hands of the non-forfeiting team. The could make a choice to make up the game, or force the forfeit.

So if the game is not complete ( a full 32 minutes ) but is 28 minutes in and the electricity goes out, or a backboard is shattered, what then. Suspended? Considered a game or not? Stats count or wiped away? Listed as a W/L?

So if the game is not complete ( a full 32 minutes ) but is 28 minutes in and the electricity goes out, or a backboard is shattered, what then. Suspended? Considered a game or not? Stats count or wiped away? Listed as a W/L?

My very unofficial view is that it is wiped off the books = no game, no stats, no win or loss.

The forfeited game was in the LexCath tourney. It would have been Dixie's last consolation game, on the last day of the tournament. It was not rescheduled because it was a tournament game.

The cancelled game was from the Scott County tourney. It would have been Dixie's first game of the tourney, but because Dixie could not get permission from the BOE they had to WITHDRAW from the tourney at the last minute.

In both cases with Dixie they could not reschedule because they were tournament games.

The KOB is played in DEC......................