Top 15 Players in the state of Kentucky Regardless of Class

price499

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great points on NKU. My only argument would be that shouldnt you at least try? Heck, by your example, no way at first glance my wife says yes to me. Way out over my skis there, but I tried and she said yes. You just never know, dangerous to assume you know the answer if you dont at least ask.

Maybe they have tried to get kids into their program? You have to remember NKU is only in their second year of D1. They couldn't compete with the other schools that have been mentioned earlier, so they had to go elsewhere to get talent.

How do we know they haven't tried to get these kids into their program? You have to remember NKU is only in their second year of D1. They couldn't compete with the other schools that have been mentioned earlier, so they had to go elsewhere to get talent.

Lets just say I have a close tie with one of the top local summer organizations. Phones atr ringing off the hook. Wichita State. Louisiana Monroe. FGCU, Miami, etc. Those schools are on same level, IMO. To my knowledge, nothing out of the Norse. I am not even talking about the headline kids, there are plenty on that team that would take a norse offer seriously.

What I'm trying to say is this. Your son gets a phone call from a school, what's the 1st thing you do as a parent? You go to the team website and check out how many position players are in his spot on the roster and how many will be graduating. You see he has a good opportunity to play, then he signs. He shows up on campus and the school has signed 2 JUCO's and a Canadian which play the same position. One who may be a stud and will be drafted after the season. They weren't your kids mentor because he tranfered in and has no loyalty to the school. All your son has is a missed year of playing time and falling behind. I agree NKU needed to do something, but I'm talking about it from the recent graduate's or soon to graduate point of view.

Lets just say I have a close tie with one of the top local summer organizations. Phones atr ringing off the hook. Wichita State. Louisiana Monroe. FGCU, Miami, etc. Those schools are on same level, IMO. To my knowledge, nothing out of the Norse. I am not even talking about the headline kids, there are plenty on that team that would take a norse offer seriously.[/QUOT

I'm sure what you say is true. No doubt they have to do a better job at recruiting talent in the area. As I said before, with moving to D1 and the conference they play in, no doubt kids would be more willing to go there. Has the kids you are referring to showed interest in the Norse?

What I'm trying to say is this. Your son gets a phone call from a school, what's the 1st thing you do as a parent? You go to the team website and check out how many position players are in his spot on the roster and how many will be graduating. You see he has a good opportunity to play, then he signs. He shows up on campus and the school has signed 2 JUCO's and a Canadian which play the same position. One who may be a stud and will be drafted after the season. They weren't your kids mentor because he tranfered in and has no loyalty to the school. All your son has is a missed year of playing time and falling behind. I agree NKU needed to do something, but I'm talking about it from the recent graduate's or soon to graduate point of view.

Unfortunately that happens in most baseball programs.

Edited by Rocky

I have always been told that NKU doesn't recruit kids from around here because they don't have to. There are a ton of kids from the Greater Cincinnati area that go away to other schools get home sick or hurt and come back home. Those are the kids that NKU tries to get to walk on so they don't have to waste their scholarships on them... This was when they were D2. I don't know if their strategy has changed in the past couple years..:idunno:

Todd Asalon and Dizzy Peyton have never been the ones to go after local talent. When they were D2 they did what raiderbird stated, wait until kids wanted to transfer from other schools. Ball State used to supply a large percentage of their players. I'm sure as a D1 school they are still looking elsewhere for players.

Louisville is one of the top programs in the country, you cant campare NKU or Morehead to them either. They have won there conference countless times and moving to the ACC. It has been routine for them to go to the CWS with coach Mac.

Which is exactly why I said I believe NKU is doing what they have to do so they can build their program up.

Once they have it as a recognizable Baseball Program then they can start getting those top local players etc.

Baby steps.

I have always been told that NKU doesn't recruit kids from around here because they don't have to. There are a ton of kids from the Greater Cincinnati area that go away to other schools get home sick or hurt and come back home. Those are the kids that NKU tries to get to walk on so they don't have to waste their scholarships on them... This was when they were D2. I don't know if their strategy has changed in the past couple years..:idunno:

That is a huge difference in kids who get homesick and kids playing at D1 schools compared to DII as NKU used to be and leaving their scholarships to come home.

I think it's totally different and the ones NKU plans on bringing in who leave other schools I would guess aren't the best players from the other schools and probably kids that didn't get a lot of opportunity to play much if at all. Just my thoughts.

There has to be a mutual interest for NKU to get the TOP local talent. And quite frankly if you're a top D1 type player (which, sorry, there aren't a ton of anyway), why would you choose NKU?? I'd say they are at the bottom of D1 choices in the area (UC, OU, Miami of OH, UK,etc), and if you look at those rosters, there are hardly any players from NKY (if any at all). While there are plenty of good baseball players in the area, there aren't many at the D1 level. And to compete at that level, signing a bunch of really good local kids isn't going to get it done. So to me, it isn't a huge surprise that you don't see many NKY kids on NKU's roster. The great players will have much better options (ie Tiberi, Stringer, Luke Maile etc), and the players that are just really good aren't good enough to help NKU compete. With only a handful of scholarships available, schools can't afford to miss. Baseball more than any other sport (at least of the big sports at the D1 level) HAS to go beyond their local areas to get the talent they need in order to be competitive.

I've said it before... I played low level D1 baseball, and then was a grad assistant coach who scouted and did recruiting for a couple of years where I played. When I got lists of players to look at, maybe 1 of 10 were truly D1 level players. Not saying they weren't good, but people tend to overestimate how good kids really are. And most of the time it has nothing to do with stats....most of depends on physical characteristics and how that kid projects. And for some reason, this area in particular seems to overestimate how good kids really are. I don't believe there is enough D1 level talent in the area for NKU to focus a lot of recruiting efforts locally.

Lets just say I have a close tie with one of the top local summer organizations. Phones atr ringing off the hook. Wichita State. Louisiana Monroe. FGCU, Miami, etc. Those schools are on same level, IMO. To my knowledge, nothing out of the Norse. I am not even talking about the headline kids, there are plenty on that team that would take a norse offer seriously.

No...NKU is certainly a step down from those schools, especially Wichita State. If you get a call from one of those schools, you only choose NKU if you want to stay close to home.