Rules Question

Saw a T given for this a couple of years ago in a close game. The coach had the player do it in a huddle and all the players tried to keep it from the vision of the crowd and refs.

All Coaches know that the players has to leave the court to change either a jersey or shorts.

You would be surprised at how much coaches "forget" about rules and points of emphasis

This should be a T. It is on the coach he should tell the player to go in the hallway. You cannot start allowing Ref. to pick and choice what rules to enforce. Now should they put in the rule book that a player can remove his jersey if blood is on it and he has a shirt underneath? Absolutely.

Good officials are preventitive. Guarantee that kid didn't know the rule. Everything isn't black and white. When a kid is in the lane, do refs tell them to get out if they camp out? Yes. If two kids are going at it on the block do refs tell them to clean it up? Yes. This is no different.

Good officials are preventitive. Guarantee that kid didn't know the rule. Everything isn't black and white. When a kid is in the lane, do refs tell them to get out if they camp out? Yes. If two kids are going at it on the block do refs tell them to clean it up? Yes. This is no different.

While I agree with your sentiment I'd argue that the analogies made do not fit. Three seconds is close but it still depends on when the official actually notices them in the lane. He could be watching two bigs bang down low and not notice the other play initially. With the banging on the blocks example it's so subjective.

There is no subjectivity on the removing the shirt rule. You either saw it or you didn't.

Again, your overall point is spot on. It has to be a T if seen by the official.

In most cases the only officials that would "T" a player up and not help a player out by telling him to leave the floor are those officials who want everyone in the gym to know they are in charge. We all know some of these officials that want everyone to know they have the whistle and can call anything they want.

In most cases the only officials that would "T" a player up and not help a player out by telling him to leave the floor are those officials who want everyone in the gym to know they are in charge. We all know some of these officials that want everyone to know they have the whistle and can call anything they want.

This a known rule by coaches. If a player does it before an official can say anything then a T is warranted

I think the origin of the rule (guessing here) had something to do with players yanking their jerseys off in frustration. A few years ago there was an emphasis about players NOT leaving the floor when they foul out until a sub has been brought to the table. Same thing. They didn't want a kid stomping off frustrated. We were instructed that action would be a T.

Logic would be say to make an exception for when there is blood and the player is directed to leave the court.

I think the origin of the rule (guessing here) had something to do with players yanking their jerseys off in frustration. A few years ago there was an emphasis about players NOT leaving the floor when they foul out until a sub has been brought to the table. Same thing. They didn't want a kid stomping off frustrated. We were instructed that action would be a T.

Logic would be say to make an exception for when there is blood and the player is directed to leave the court.

Yes officials should use logic in this case. How close was the player to the bench or was he in the middle of the floor taking off his jersey. In most cases, I guarantee the last thing the player, coach, or trainer is thinking about is getting completely off the floor. They want the jersey off immediately due to the blood.

Yes officials should use logic in this case. How close was the player to the bench or was he in the middle of the floor taking off his jersey. In most cases, I guarantee the last thing the player, coach, or trainer is thinking about is getting completely off the floor. They want the jersey off immediately due to the blood.

I had a player who had to change at halftime of a game and on the way out of the dressing room his shirt was almost all the way on, and he had on a t-shirt as he was about to pull the jersey down and tuck it in and a ref called a T on him. I was amazed by that one.

It is a T and had it called on us in All A finals. The ref told him to change it and our player had an undershirt.When he pulled it the T was called.