Wild Gray Wolf Killed By Hunter In Kentucky - First In 150 Years

Colonels_Wear_Blue

While I see what you are saying, I have a real hard time believing this guy saw that wolf and was convinced it was just a big coyote. At best he had to be a little uncertain and if there was uncertainty then he shouldn't of pulled the trigger. It could have been someone ones husky or German Shepard, or some other dog.
"IF" he had a moment of uncertainty, and we don't know if he did or not, then I would obviously agree, he should not have taken the shot. Even at that, I would call it a lapse in judgment and not a criminal act. Not being sure of the conditions at the time, and not knowing how much woods experience the guy had, I just don't feel like condemning him.

And given all the circumstances, I sure as heck don't think he should be prosecuted like doomer is advocating, which was the crux of my response.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"IF" he had a moment of uncertainty, and we don't know if he did or not, then I would obviously agree, he should not have taken the shot. Even at that, I would call it a lapse in judgment and not a criminal act. Not being sure of the conditions at the time, and not knowing how much woods experience the guy had, I just don't feel like condemning him.

And given all the circumstances, I sure as heck don't think he should be prosecuted like doomer is advocating, which was the crux of my response.

I would tend to agree that he probably shouldn't be prosecuted but I think a fat fine is in order.

Who has jurisdiction to make the call of whether to prosecute/fine the guy?

The animal was federally endagered, but as far as I can tell the KDFWR has no regulation about the species.

Can the KDFWR enforce federal regs or do the feds have to step in?

Why was this animal even DNA tested? If I kill a coyote I don't bother to alert the authorities. Was he trying to claim a prize for largest coyote?

If that Elk that looks like deer walks by, I bust it and call it in like I normally would a deer.

That is unless I questioned the species???

Why was this animal even DNA tested? If I kill a coyote I don't bother to alert the authorities. Was he trying to claim a prize for largest coyote?

If that Elk that looks like deer walks by, I bust it and call it in like I normally would a deer.

That is unless I questioned the species???

This and shooters remorse. If he didn't know it was a wolf beforehand, he knew "something wasn't right" afterward!

While I see what you are saying, I have a real hard time believing this guy saw that wolf and was convinced it was just a big coyote. At best he had to be a little uncertain and if there was uncertainty then he shouldn't of pulled the trigger. It could have been someone ones husky or German Shepard, or some other dog.
I lean towards this. It's obviously MUCH bigger than any coyote roaming around. It's pretty crazy to think he would have thought it was a wolf. But, the neighbors dog...quite possibly.

Not being 100% sure what you are shooting at is one of the greatest dangers in the woods. I'm more worried about that than the fact that he killed a wolf.

Who has jurisdiction to make the call of whether to prosecute/fine the guy?

The animal was federally endagered, but as far as I can tell the KDFWR has no regulation about the species.

Can the KDFWR enforce federal regs or do the feds have to step in?

Pretty sure the Feds would have to step in.

I am not advocating that the guy spend jail time if it was found to be mistaken identity and plausible. But at a minimum if he was found to be negligent...with a firearm...that is a danger. I would propose his hunting rights be suspended until he attended further training.