No respect for Elam

Game was played at Cawood. Yes Rick played at Corbin that season. Hounds played Trigg at the state and won, then lost to Warren East

I remember the state tournament games, but I must have skipped the region that year. The game that Corbin lost to Warren East in the quarterfinals went to OT if I remember correctly with Corbin having a chance to win it in regulation. I also recall that Jones did not get the ball for the last shot and it seems as though another sophomore(Corey Sears)took that shot.

Rick's showing in that state tournament was also the begiining of the end for his Redhound career, well............ that plus the basketball banquet.

were you at the Lynn Camp game? I got on 105.7's morning show this morning and we talked about the upcoming district and 13th Region tourneys.

No didn't get to go down. If I would have known I would have listened in and hear what you think about what will happen in March.

It's rare for a KC coach in any sport to be dismissed due to his W-L record, it's usually a result of some behind the scenes turmoil. I'm not well informed on the inner workings of this year's team, but as an observer over the years I don't think the things happening this season can all be blamed on Elam. With seven elementary schools feeding into Knox Central, it has long been a common practice for kids to transfer to another elementary looking for more playing time, better teammates and thus a better chance at a trophy, or just to get away from a coach who disagrees with them. In recent years it has become fashionable to continue this trend in high school. The result has been a lack of disipline and unrealistic expectations regarding quick playing time and roles. Why work, wait, and sit the bench when you can just transfer to a smaller school with less competition for playing time? Some that do attend the school they are supposed to expect to be coddled and when they find that they are expected to wait, work, and improve, they either quit or transfer. How can a coach disipline players like this? Of course the stock answer is you coach and it's my way or the highway but that results are a season like this one with a team made up primarily of freshmen and sophomores getting playing time out of necessity and who may leave next year when more is expected of them, thus starting the cycle all over again.

I've hesitated to post on this topic because I don't won't it to appear that I'm criticising any particular kid or parents. I know of one who quit that I've always found to be hardworking and level headed and with supportive parents, so I'm sure there are underlying circumstances in each individual case. I'm speaking in very general terms here and my point is that Elam's job is very tough right now. IMO, the hardest part of coaching is not the Xs and Os, but learning to deal with the personalities of players and parents and that only comes with experience. I'm pulling for Brandon to survive long enough to gain that experience. I'm also expecting the situation to improve with the opening of the new middleschool next year.

It's rare for a KC coach in any sport to be dismissed due to his W-L record, it's usually a result of some behind the scenes turmoil. I'm not well informed on the inner workings of this year's team, but as an observer over the years I don't think the things happening this season can all be blamed on Elam. With seven elementary schools feeding into Knox Central, it has long been a common practice for kids to transfer to another elementary looking for more playing time, better teammates and thus a better chance at a trophy, or just to get away from a coach who disagrees with them. In recent years it has become fashionable to continue this trend in high school. The result has been a lack of disipline and unrealistic expectations regarding quick playing time and roles. Why work, wait, and sit the bench when you can just transfer to a smaller school with less competition for playing time? Some that do attend the school they are supposed to expect to be coddled and when they find that they are expected to wait, work, and improve, they either quit or transfer. How can a coach disipline players like this? Of course the stock answer is you coach and it's my way or the highway but that results are a season like this one with a team made up primarily of freshmen and sophomores getting playing time out of necessity and who may leave next year when more is expected of them, thus starting the cycle all over again.

I've hesitated to post on this topic because I don't won't it to appear that I'm criticising any particular kid or parents. I know of one who quit that I've always found to be hardworking and level headed and with supportive parents, so I'm sure there are underlying circumstances in each individual case. I'm speaking in very general terms here and my point is that Elam's job is very tough right now. IMO, the hardest part of coaching is not the Xs and Os, but learning to deal with the personalities of players and parents and that only comes with experience. I'm pulling for Brandon to survive long enough to gain that experience. I'm also expecting the situation to improve with the opening of the new middleschool next year.

I believe that Whitley Co. basketball experiences some of the same problems as Knox Central. There are a lot of "stars" developed at each of the elementary schools who do not want to become team or role players once all the players come together at one school. This often results in disgruntled players and parents who don't want to wait their turn or who will sacrifice for the benefit of the team, then they either quit or cause problems within the team.

They can make it work, but it takes the coach, players and parents all on the same page, otherwise you can see the results.

This what this post was about for me. I hope people can see that Elam does his best at any given point. meaning he is giving his kids 100% of his ability every time he is in front of them. That is all. I would hate to see him or any coach forced out because some kids say he goes or I go, this is not the pros and at this level we don't need a TO.

Elam as an X's and O's guy is pretty good, but sometimes his fire and competetive nature gets the better of him and he explodes on the sideslines. When he has time to mature he will get that under control. KC needs to hold onto him and things will work out.

Sports and Coaching needs to be exempt from politics, although at most county schools its not, and disgrundled parents spend alot of time yelping about the coach they don't like or who in their mind has done a dis-service to their kid. Just let the coach do the coaching and things will be fine.

Of course what I just stated could be applied to many school systems across the state.

I believe that Whitley Co. basketball experiences some of the same problems as Knox Central. There are a lot of "stars" developed at each of the elementary schools who do not want to become team or role players once all the players come together at one school. This often results in disgruntled players and parents who don't want to wait their turn or who will sacrifice for the benefit of the team, then they either quit or cause problems within the team.

They can make it work, but it takes the coach, players and parents all on the same page, otherwise you can see the results.

I think everyone who has another school within driving distance has that problem in varying degrees.

I really think a big part of the solution to KC's basketball problem is going to come from an unexpected source, the emergence of the Central football team. When the middleschool opens next fall and and more young kids are introduced to football, their choice of schools is going to be greatly narrowed.