No respect for Elam

I have worked for the Knox County School System on separate occasions in the past four and a half years. I have also seen how another school system and sports are handled several of them going to state with one winning. Over the past few days I have heard the rummor mill going saying Elam needs to go at KC. What is this. He has had two down years after about four where KC was a legit threat for the Region title. I don't understand by the fans are getting on Elam. It is not Elam's fault that:

- Kris Mills (I think one of the most under rated players to come out of the 13th because he is 5'8) was better then the other players and was able to start all four years there. But as a result of this some of the current Barbourville Seniors parents who at the the time played in the county system choose to send their kids to the city school. These kids played for the county and were better then their teammates who are not KC's players. So it makes sense that KC does not have the best players in the county.

- I don't see why parents feel that starting for four years is what you should want in a school.

- I also don't get why people are getting on Elam? didn't he just win two District titles and was Region runner up to a tough Rockcastel Team?

Let me ask a question

When was the last Region win for Barbourville and Dinky?

Nobody questions that because in theory everybody says Knox Central is bigger and has better athletes. So here is another question. How is Hazard who is in the same city as a 3a Perry Central (about the same size at knox) is able to win the All A tourny and be able to compete on a year in-year out basis able to do that?

Just some ramdon thoughts

I give Elam respect. Heck, I even wrote a column about him last week. The last time b'ville won a 13th Region tourney game was in 1988, I believe.

It would be a shame for Elam to be run out. He does a great job with what he currently has to work with. When this bunch matures, they should do all right.

It would be a shame for Elam to be run out. He does a great job with what he currently has to work with. When this bunch matures, they should do all right.

:thumb: He has some fire and works hard on the sideline and it usually translates to his teams playing hard.

How long has it been(prior to Elam) since Knox Central made a regional final and how many winning seasons have they had in the last 10 years when he was not the coach?

:thumb: He has some fire and works hard on the sideline and it usually translates to his teams playing hard.

How long has it been(prior to Elam) since Knox Central made a regional final and how many winning seasons have they had in the last 10 years when he was not the coach?

I am sure Les could find the answer out. Can't you Les

Knox Central's won-loss record as far back as the KHSAA scoreboard goes.

I'm not certain if Elam started in the 2001-02 or the 2002-03 season.

97/98 5-15

98/99 7-15

99/00 12-16

00/01 10-15

01/02 10-17

02/03 20-9

03/04 20-11

04/05 7-18

I think Knox Central made it to the regional finals in 1997 and lost to Corbin. I believe they lost to Clay in the 1988 finals at Bell. I think their last regional title was around 1970.

Elam does a good job when he has some talent. It might not have been the best day to start this thread though with a 44-point loss.

I believe this is Elam's fifth season, which would mean he started in 2001/02.

It might not have been the best day to start this thread though with a 44-point loss.

QUOTE]

I don't think it matters what day I started the thread. What I was saying was people need to get off Elam. I am sorry he just dosent have the best experienced talent in that county. Notice I said experienced. Give the the underclassmen a another year or so to come together and we will see what happens.

Elam needs the respect. Experience is a key role in winning and that is what his team needs right now. That however, takes time and time only. I know everybody talks bout the county kids going to Bville and stuff but that’s their business. Dinky would be winning bout 7 games a year with just "city" kids". I only have one question. Cody Miller is one of the best 8th graders around. How come everybody says he is going elsewhere and he is playing for KC right now. For Central to be consistent every year they need the best players that live in Knox County, to go to Knox Central.

I think Knox Central made it to the regional finals in 1997 and lost to Corbin. I believe they lost to Clay in the 1988 finals at Bell. I think their last regional title was around 1970.

Elam does a good job when he has some talent. It might not have been the best day to start this thread though with a 44-point loss.

I believe this is Elam's fifth season, which would mean he started in 2001/02.

I don't believe that it was Knox Central who Corbin beat in the regional final in 1997, I think that it was Bell Co. or Clay Co.

I don't believe that it was Knox Central who Corbin beat in the regional final in 1997, I think that it was Bell Co. or Clay Co.

Corbin won by two over Knox Central in the finals. Mark Hyden hit the game-winning shot. I just looked it up. Corbin beat Clay in the semifinals. Bell didn't make it to the regional that year.

Corbin won by two over Knox Central in the finals. Mark Hyden hit the game-winning shot. I just looked it up. Corbin beat Clay in the semifinals. Bell didn't make it to the regional that year.

Was Rick Jones a sophomore on that Corbin team? Where was it played at? I am drawing a complete blank on that game, maybe you can jar my memory.