Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Jury Duty Exemptions?

Featured Replies

A lactating mother in Missouri asked to be excused from jury duty because she cannot be away from her 7-month-old son. The court will not excuse her.

 

This ruling makes me nervous because my full-time college student, who lives in another city, just got summoned for jury duty here in NKY.

 

I am a believer in our civic duties as citizens. But what if it's an extreme inconvience to do jury duty?

  • Replies 37
  • Views 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was granted an exemption as a college student in another city.

 

You'll be fine.

I've done the jury duty thing several times. Was the foreman once. A disturbing thought for America when you think about it.

I was granted an exemption as a college student in another city.

 

You'll be fine.

 

Same here.

A lactating mother in Missouri asked to be excused from jury duty because she cannot be away from her 7-month-old son. The court will not excuse her.

 

This ruling makes me nervous because my full-time college student, who lives in another city, just got summoned for jury duty here in NKY.

 

I am a believer in our civic duties as citizens. But what if it's an extreme inconvience to do jury duty?

I've had jury duty twice. Both times people were able to get excused when they had legit reasons. There were a few that tried but had weak excuses and were denied. A full-time student will have ZERO problem getting excused especially if they live in an different city.

I, too, got excused from jury duty while a full time student in another state. I was called to serve in 2012 for Kenton County. Over the entire 3 month period, I only had to appear 3 days, one of which I got excused for because I had a major presentation to give for work. The other two times I was out of there by noon. While I wasn't real excited about it, after doing it, it's not really that big of a deal. Most cases are pretty simple, and don't last more than a day or two. And as long as you have a solid excuse, you should be able to get out of it.

I'm not trying to jinx myself but I have never been called for jury duty.

*Phone rings at Frank's house.*

 

:lol2:

I'm not trying to jinx myself but I have never been called for jury duty.

 

Same here thankfully.

About 10 years ago, got called for jury duty at the Federal Court up in Covington. Don't remember all the specifics, but I believe we were on-call for up to a year, or 20 days of actual trial service. The lady told us the first day it wouldn't be as bad as we thought, as most cases never went to trial, and that she would be splitting us up into two groups, and that she'd alternate each month which group she called first. She said most people never get asked to come in, or if they do, never get picked to sit on the actual jury.

 

There were a lot of people who said they were self-employed, or were the only breadwinner in their household, or worked on commission-only status (like me, at the time) who asked to be excused. Judge denied every single one.

 

So, the first trial starts, and they choose the jury. Guess who gets picked? You got it, me. Ends up being a bank robbery case (even after all this time, I can remember them calling the guy the bandana bandit). Trial lasts 5 or 6 days, and then they choose the 12 our of our 14 who were hearing the case, to actual deliver a verdict. I ended up being the 2nd alternate, so got to go home slightly earlier. (Found out later that deliberations were fairly quick...it was a slam dunk case)

 

Then, just 3 or 4 weeks later, got called back in again! And, once again got chosen to sit on the jury. This one, the trial portion actually was shorter (3 or 4 days)...but, we ended up with a deadlocked jury. (One single person refused to budge!) We ended up with 2 or 3 days of deliberations before it finally got called.

 

So, in the span of just a little over a month, I had actually "served" on the jury for somewhere around 12 days. And, as I mentioned earlier, being on commission-only, I could see my paycheck shrink dramatically. Ended up calling the lady in charge, and she said it was a pretty rare situation and that I should write a letter to the judge explaining my situation. So, I did. And ended up being excused for the remainder of the on-call period.

 

I will say this, I'm glad I got to actually sit on the two juries. The first one, as I mentioned, was a slam dunk for the prosecution. Absolutely no doubt about it. And, I remember thinking afterwards, "Wow, they really came to play ball". However in the second trial, with a lot of the same people on the prosecution team, when they rested their case, I remember thinking "Really? That's it? That's all you got?" I didn't even really need to hear the defense's case...there was more than enough reasonable doubt. So it was unique to see cases go both way. And, had it not been for the financial hardship it occurred...it would've been nice to sit on some more.

I've done the jury duty thing several times. Was the foreman once. A disturbing thought for America when you think about it.

Hahaha, I think they knew what they were doing when they picked you Randy. More proof that they know what they are doing, I've never been selected for jury duty in all my 48 years.

I've sat on a few juries over the years and it never ceases to amaze me how many people simply cannot make a decision.

I've done the jury duty thing several times. Was the foreman once. A disturbing thought for America when you think about it.

 

 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSmlpDU7TL0r76rjMfvxmE_ZFwSX5-AB_6ayDHm_jH-KygHDGONcg

  • Author

Sent in the paperwork with her 16 hr class schedule, address of dorm, and mentioned that she does not have a car at school. All of that is the honest truth. Hope that is sufficient.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.