Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Church Attendance

Featured Replies

That is a "drive thru" mass. We had the same thing w our 4:30 Saturday mass at St. Francis de Sales in Newport before it was torn down for "progress".

 

Went to quite a few of these "quickies" back in the day. None other than "the great" Al Schottelkotte was always in attendance. Al Schottelkotte - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  • Replies 90
  • Views 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I rarely miss Church and Sunday School. I love going & have a wonderful church family!

i only miss 2 times a year. and even then i sometimes go somewhere else in a different town.

i only miss 2 times a year. and even then i sometimes go somewhere else in a different town.

Is one one of those days March 14th?

(Couldn't resist. :lol2:)

I thought this was only during the fall and spring semesters. No?

 

You are right, Clyde. Chapel website lists exception of holidays and summer break. It's still nice to know that 8pm is there during the school year. I fly into CVG a few times a year with Sunday flights without a chance to go to Mass before I board. It's not the same watching Mass online or on EWTN.

That seems to be true at most Catholic churches. It is at ours.

 

Not at ours. Most wait until the last song is over.

Never. Scarred by my early religious upbringing then married a lapsed Catholic. Haven't been other than last week's funeral in a V E R Y long time.

Driving a group of kids and we pass a very large newer Protestant church. One of the youngsters says, "Hey, that's my church! That's where we go." Another youngster said, "I thought you went to St. -------" (a Catholic Church). The first kid then explains that he only goes to the Catholic Church for the religious education classes so he can make his Confirmation.

 

I just thought it was odd. Why bother with the Catholic Confirmation process if the entire family worships at another church?

Driving a group of kids and we pass a very large newer Protestant church. One of the youngsters says, "Hey, that's my church! That's where we go." Another youngster said, "I thought you went to St. -------" (a Catholic Church). The first kid then explains that he only goes to the Catholic Church for the religious education classes so he can make his Confirmation.

 

I just thought it was odd. Why bother with the Catholic Confirmation process if the entire family worships at another church?

 

That's one that I've never heard of.

 

Although, I've always felt there was an odd "fascination" with the Catholic sacraments on the part of Protestants and non-Catholics in general. Reconciliation is panned by so many, yet the confessional sure makes its way into a LOT of scenes in tv shows and movies. And for as disdainful as some of the Protestants I've met have been about the Catholic church, they sure make a big stink about why they should be allowed to receive Eucharist on occasions where they find themselves in a mass for some reason or another (primarily Catholic funeral and wedding masses). And as for anointing of the sick, I don't work in the medical field, but I have several family members and friends who do, and I've heard most of them comment at some time or another on how strange it is that so many non-Catholics are absolutely insistent on having a priest come in and give them the anointing of the sick. I suppose at least that one could come down to the "there are not atheists in foxholes" saying.

Through the summer I have missed two times. Once was the day after coming back from Florida. The other was coming back from Muncie, IN. Even made it out after a night of partying down in New Orleans :lol2: I would say I have been 16 of the past 18 weekends.

As a Catholic there is no reason to not make your weekly obligation with all the churches and the wide variety of times to make it to mass. For the NKY Catholics it starts with the 3:00pm Saturday Mass at St. Louis (8th & Walnut) downtown Cincinnati to Sunday at 7:00pm at St. Henry.

 

In Louisville and NKY/Cincy it would be hard to say you simply could not make it to mass with the numerous churches. In Louisville they start at 4:00 on Saturday at several parishes and go through Sat evening, start up again at 6:30 Sunday morning and go till the 10:00 PM mass at Holy Family, that mass commonly called the UPS employee/UofL Student mass. When I have been traveling out in the state........a few times I think I could say my family probably went above the call to find a Catholic Church for mass and probably could have missed in good consious. Catholic Churches can be very spread apart and may only have one mass. Another thing to remind those Catholic travelers, when you are going to a church, make sure to double check if you will be crossing over the Eastern/Central Time Zone. Showing up for mass when it is letting out can be frustrating.

I would love to travel to Europe just to visit the "very old" churches. I'm amazed how they built some of these places back then.

 

I visited a friend of mine while he was teaching at the University of Nice, France and we made the short drive to Turin, Italy. The churches are amazing. Often times when you read their history, it would say something along the lines, construction began in 1453 and was completed in 1614. I have always heard how secular Europe has become but when we went to mass, the church was well attended.

 

I have heard weddings are much different. Our Catholic weddings have been somewhat Protestantized (unity candles, father giving the bride away, etc.). Weddings in most Catholic countries are still more along the traditional Catholic Rite which if a to be married couple in the US wants, they can ask for. The problem would be finding a priest or deacon who has ever done one before and would know how to do it.

We attended the 10 AM at St. Bernardette's in Panama City this morning. That paarish is so much different than ours. For one thing, it is huge, with over 800 families. They have a wide array of programs and services. It seems to be a very active and flourishing parish. Sadly, they're in the process of recovering from a massive Julu 4th flood that wiped out their child development center and severely damaged the nave of the church itself. They still have plastic up to divide the construction area from the rest of the church. It was a little awkward today, but the Masses are being celebrated despite the chaos.

 

The church itself is pretty cool. It's sort of a clam shell design, with all sorts of nooks and crannies with additional seating, as well as a Marion chapel seperated from the nave by glass windows. The overflow crowd sits in there during the mass and participate with everyone else. The music was provided by guitarists (sorry traditionalists) and an older lady with a surprisingly talented voice. The congregation actually applauds at the end of Mass.

 

Interesting side note: They had four "alter boys"...and they were all girls! They also had the ringing of the bells at the appropriate moments in the consecration. I kind of miss that at our church, where they don't ring the bells. Another thing they do differently is everyone holding hands during the Lord's Prayer. I'm not a fan of that tradition, and glad we don't do that at our church. Oh, I forgot to mention the awesome gift shop out in the vestibule! :)

Edited by Birdsfan

Another thing they do differently is everyone holding hands during the Lord's Prayer. I'm not a fan of that tradition, and glad we don't do that at our church.
Why does that differ between parishes and why do you not like holding hands? We have always held hands at ours and recently I went to one that did not. I got some strange looks from the girl next to me as I kept reaching for her hand.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.