July 11, 201313 yr Am I correct that it was within the last couple of years where they came out with some rules that say whether it's to be observed on that day vs the next Sunday? They are kind of confusing...and they only apply to three specific Holy Days: The Assumption, The Solemnity of Mary Mother Of God, and All Saints Day. If any of them fall on Saturdays or Mondays, then the Sunday mass will count for observation of the Holy Day as well.
July 11, 201313 yr If I'm in town we go 100% of the time. On the road, not so much. Holy days are rare for me unless Mrs. TAC lays the heavy guilt trip on me.
July 11, 201313 yr Every Sunday morning and Sunday night. Most Wednesday nights. Miss when we are out of town, sometimes go where we are, but seem to travel on Sunday morning when we are returning from out of town. This is my family in a nutshell.
July 12, 201313 yr Am I correct that it was within the last couple of years where they came out with some rules that say whether it's to be observed on that day vs the next Sunday?Yes, some holy days are commuted to Sunday, if they fall on like a Monday or Saturday. Others, I think, are moved even farther. Last year, there were only three or four days of obligation that were not celebrated on Sunday -- at least in our diocese. I try to get there every Sunday, and have varying success in observing the holy days of obligation.
July 12, 201313 yr It has always amazed me how well attended is Ash Wednesday at the beginning of Lent for Catholics. Ash Wednesday is not a holy day, but it the day that we get ashes put on our foreheads. On the other hand, holy day Masses seem less attended to me.
July 12, 201313 yr It has always amazed me how well attended is Ash Wednesday at the beginning of Lent for Catholics. Ash Wednesday is not a holy day, but it the day that we get ashes put on our foreheads. On the other hand, holy day Masses seem less attended to me.I think it makes people feel more "Catholic." It's the customary thing to do on that day...kind of like showing your patriotism on the 4th of July or getting an "I Voted" sticker on election day. On the holy days, you don't come away with any cool "proof of purchase." That's my cynical take on it anyway.
July 12, 201313 yr I think it makes people feel more "Catholic." It's the customary thing to do on that day...kind of like showing your patriotism on the 4th of July or getting an "I Voted" sticker on election day. On the holy days, you don't come away with any cool "proof of purchase." That's my cynical take on it anyway. I agree wholeheartedly with your take....cynical or not.
July 12, 201313 yr I can honestly say the last Sunday/Saturday mass that I missed was Easter Sunday of '94 (it was a scheduling snafu on my part), although I made up for later that evening by watching a 2 hour special about the life of Christ on cable. :lol2: Ever since I can remember weekend mass has been a family thing. Growing up my parents and my brother and sister always attended EVERY week, including Holy Days. When I got into high school, especially when I was a jr. & sr., I started going on Saturday evening so I could catch a few extra winks in the morning. :thumb:. After high school I continued to attend every Saturday/Sunday and on various Holy Days, although I'm sure I missed a time or two, but that's it. Even when I was playing in softball tourneys back in the day and we were out of town, as soon as I got to my hotel room I would get out the phone book and find the nearest church so I could go to mass. I remember going to mass at a church in Murfreesboro, TN and I had to wear my uniform (hot pink sliders:sssh:). After mass as I greeted the priest outside of church I apologized because of my attire, his response..."God doesn't care how you're dressed just as long as you show up". Today has a husband and father of 3, we go as a family mostly on Saturday evenings, this is my 1st priority for the weekend. Please don't take this the wrong way, but why do so many not attend when they are out of town???? Just because you might be on vacation doesn't mean you take a vacation from attending Mass! When we are going out of town the 1st thing I do is go to Mass Times and find a catholic church and it's mass times. As a Catholic there is no reason to not make your weekly obligation with all the churches and the wide variety of times to make it to mass. For the NKY Catholics it starts with the 3:00pm Saturday Mass at St. Louis (8th & Walnut) downtown Cincinnati to Sunday at 7:00pm at St. Henry.
July 13, 201313 yr How often do you attend church? Never miss Pretty often Spur radically Easter and Christmas only Never Feel free to add why if you would like. More than the Chreasters. More than pretty often. But less than "Never Miss". Not gonna lie, there is room for improvement at our house. Good news is that today is the first day of the rest of our lives!
July 13, 201313 yr Even when I was playing in softball tourneys back in the day and we were out of town, as soon as I got to my hotel room I would get out the phone book and find the nearest church so I could go to mass. I remember going to mass at a church in Murfreesboro, TN . I can't tell you how many different cities I've attended mass. I was in Florida somewhere and the priest was from Ft Thomas. Ran into people from NKY at mass in Siesta Key. The view out of the all-glass front of the churches in Dana Point, CA and Lake Tahoe were was so pretty. Seeing the Latinos in Chattanooga stop at the status of Mary on the way back from communion was something I hadn't seen before. Mass in Brooklyn had a sign language person and about 20 or 30 deaf people. The entire congregation turned around and threw the peace sign at everyone during the sign of peace. The church in Kauai gave all visitors a small hand-made gift. The really small church in Folly Beach had an old-school small-town KY church feel to it. I love it.
July 13, 201313 yr I can't tell you how many different cities I've attended mass. I was in Florida somewhere and the priest was from Ft Thomas. Ran into people from NKY at mass in Siesta Key. The view out of the all-glass front of the churches in Dana Point, CA and Lake Tahoe were was so pretty. Seeing the Latinos in Chattanooga stop at the status of Mary on the way back from communion was something I hadn't seen before. Mass in Brooklyn had a sign language person and about 20 or 30 deaf people. The entire congregation turned around and threw the peace sign at everyone during the sign of peace. The church in Kauai gave all visitors a small hand-made gift. The really small church in Folly Beach had an old-school small-town KY church feel to it. I love it. I look forward to attending mass when out of town for some of the same things mentioned above. :thumb:
July 13, 201313 yr I can't tell you how many different cities I've attended mass. I was in Florida somewhere and the priest was from Ft Thomas. Ran into people from NKY at mass in Siesta Key. The view out of the all-glass front of the churches in Dana Point, CA and Lake Tahoe were was so pretty. Seeing the Latinos in Chattanooga stop at the status of Mary on the way back from communion was something I hadn't seen before. Mass in Brooklyn had a sign language person and about 20 or 30 deaf people. The entire congregation turned around and threw the peace sign at everyone during the sign of peace. The church in Kauai gave all visitors a small hand-made gift. The really small church in Folly Beach had an old-school small-town KY church feel to it. I love it. Winter 1976. Small town of Krimmel, Austria. (My folks signed up to be the high school Army brat ski club sponsors.) Mass in that tiny Austrian Church. Men on one side of the church. Women on the other. Families do not sit together. So so cold inside that Holy Water Fonts are frozen. Heard the words "Heilige Geist" and "Amen". Knew we were all connected.
July 13, 201313 yr Winter 1976. Small town of Krimmel, Austria. (My folks signed up to be the high school Army brat ski club sponsors.) Mass in that tiny Austrian Church. Men on one side of the church. Women on the other. Families do not sit together. So so cold inside that Holy Water Fonts are frozen. Heard the words "Heilige Geist" and "Amen". Knew we were all connected. I would love to travel to Europe just to visit the "very old" churches. I'm amazed how they built some of these places back then.
July 13, 201313 yr Went to Mass once in Florida. In their bulletin they published attendance figures for the various Masses from the week before. So I am sitting there before Mass on a Saturday night and the previous Saturday night the attendance was listed as 454. I look around and there are maybe 30 people there this time with Mass about to start. Thought maybe they were counting season ticket holders or something. Then as Mass starts at 5 PM people just kept streaming in......like 20 every minute all the way up to Communion time. By then the church is absolutely packed. And then 90% of the people leave immediately after Communion. At the end there were maybe 50 people left. Strangest thing.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.