August 12, 201313 yr I got some strange looks from the girl next to me as I kept reaching for her hand. :lol2:
August 12, 201313 yr The music was provided by guitarists (sorry traditionalists) You know, even as traditionally-minded as I am when it comes to the mass, I've never minded guitars, so long as they're played well and appropriately. You can play any traditional instrument in a non-traditional way or even an awful way. The pianist at my parents' new parish gets horribly carried away sometimes. It's like Experimental Jazz Mass. I draw the line at drumsets.
August 12, 201313 yr I find it very interesting to read the varied experiences in different parishes. Who says Catholics are boring and all the same?
August 12, 201313 yr I find it very interesting to read the varied experiences in different parishes. Who says Catholics are boring and all the same? Nobody anymore... the product of 60 years of confusing and often-ignored rubrics.
August 12, 201313 yr I don't like the hand shaking/holding hands/hugging thing at all. And I don't like guitars, drums etc.. Blame it on my age and Father Pank. Until I was about 10, we girls were required to wear a mantilla at Mass, and we were never allowed to serve.
August 12, 201313 yr I don't like the hand shaking/holding hands/hugging thing at all. You prude. And I don't like guitars, drums etc.. Blame it on my age and Father Pank. I prefer an organ also. Until I was about 10, we girls were required to wear a mantilla at Mass. I think you should pull the old mantilla out of the closet and sport it this Sunday morning for old times sake.
August 12, 201313 yr :lol: I'm not a touchy feely person, and I still have that mantilla....but it's staying in the keepsake box.
August 13, 201313 yr You prude. I prefer an organ also. So, you're saying you like shaking hands, but you prefer an organ? Hmm...
August 13, 201313 yr You know, even as traditionally-minded as I am when it comes to the mass, I've never minded guitars, so long as they're played well and appropriately. You can play any traditional instrument in a non-traditional way or even an awful way. The pianist at my parents' new parish gets horribly carried away sometimes. It's like Experimental Jazz Mass. I draw the line at drumsets. This was just two guitarists and a soloist. They were great!
August 13, 201313 yr That's one that I've never heard of. Although, I've always felt there was an odd "fascination" with the Catholic sacraments on the part of Protestants and non-Catholics in general. Reconciliation is panned by so many, yet the confessional sure makes its way into a LOT of scenes in tv shows and movies. And for as disdainful as some of the Protestants I've met have been about the Catholic church, they sure make a big stink about why they should be allowed to receive Eucharist on occasions where they find themselves in a mass for some reason or another (primarily Catholic funeral and wedding masses). And as for anointing of the sick, I don't work in the medical field, but I have several family members and friends who do, and I've heard most of them comment at some time or another on how strange it is that so many non-Catholics are absolutely insistent on having a priest come in and give them the anointing of the sick. I suppose at least that one could come down to the "there are not atheists in foxholes" saying. CWB, should they NOT partake in Communion? Not sure I follow your line of thinking here. If I attended a mass again, and have a few times in the past, I would probably partake or at least expect to be able to...I won't say I'm 100% sure simply because of the way I have seen it offered. I have been in Catholic masses where everyone drank from the same cup, not sure if that is common practice or not, but I did not partake. I have also been told that since I'm not Catholic then I couldn't take communion at a Catholic mass. I don't know if that is true or not, but was told that. And even if that was the case, I don't know how anyone would know anyway. Also...and this may sound like a stupid question but I really don't know...is actual wine served for Communion at most/all Catholic masses? I know it was at least at a couple of them I went to, what I was told anyway. Didn't know if that is commonplace, if grape juice is used like it is in Christian churches or not.
August 13, 201313 yr CWB, should they NOT partake in Communion? Not sure I follow your line of thinking here. If I attended a mass again, and have a few times in the past, I would probably partake or at least expect to be able to...I won't say I'm 100% sure simply because of the way I have seen it offered. I have been in Catholic masses where everyone drank from the same cup, not sure if that is common practice or not, but I did not partake. I have also been told that since I'm not Catholic then I couldn't take communion at a Catholic mass. I don't know if that is true or not, but was told that. And even if that was the case, I don't know how anyone would know anyway. Closed communion is one of those topics that is not popular because many say all Christians should be able to come together for communion. The issue with the Catholic Church is that there is an assumption that if you go to receive communion, you are in communion with the Catholic Church and have the same belief towards the Euchartist that Catholics do. So obviously non Catholics would not be in communion with the Catholic Church and if a Catholic has fallen away but is attending a mass for say a wedding or a funeral, they are asked to abstain until they come back into the fold. This is also true for those of the Eastern Orthodox faith. Even though the Eastern Orthodox faith views the Eucharist virtually identical as the Catholic view, those of the Eastern Orthodox faith are not to partake in Catholic Communion and I am pretty sure they ask that we Catholics do not partake in their communion. Again, this is an area that is not particularily popular and would require much more reading than my post here to understand. Also...and this may sound like a stupid question but I really don't know...is actual wine served for Communion at most/all Catholic masses? I know it was at least at a couple of them I went to, what I was told anyway. Didn't know if that is commonplace, if grape juice is used like it is in Christian churches or not. Yes, actual wine is used for communion. The wine must be red wine also since we are pretty sure that was what was used at the Last Supper since Jewish custom called for red wine used at the Passover Seder meal.
August 13, 201313 yr Closed communion is one of those topics that is not popular because many say all Christians should be able to come together for communion. The issue with the Catholic Church is that there is an assumption that if you go to receive communion, you are in communion with the Catholic Church and have the same belief towards the Euchartist that Catholics do. So obviously non Catholics would not be in communion with the Catholic Church and if a Catholic has fallen away but is attending a mass for say a wedding or a funeral, they are asked to abstain until they come back into the fold. This is also true for those of the Eastern Orthodox faith. Even though the Eastern Orthodox faith views the Eucharist virtually identical as the Catholic view, those of the Eastern Orthodox faith are not to partake in Catholic Communion and I am pretty sure they ask that we Catholics do not partake in their communion. Again, this is an area that is not particularily popular and would require much more reading than my post here to understand. Yes, actual wine is used for communion. The wine must be red wine also since we are pretty sure that was what was used at the Last Supper since Jewish custom called for red wine used at the Passover Seder meal. That's what I was wondering. There are actually some Christian/Protestant churches that kind of believe or at least follow similar thinking and are church specific about communion, meaning you can only partake if you are a member of that church, but I have never been to one. Talk about getting our preacher riled up, bring up that topic. He frequently talks about Baptism and Communion in his messages, and every so often preaches a sermon on these topics specifically. It's as simple as this, if you are a born again believer and have been saved by the Grace of God, partake, no matter who you are or where you are from or if you belong to our church or any church. Communion is between you and God, not you and the church/preacher/congregation. I'm not sure how individual Catholics feel about it.
August 13, 201313 yr It's as simple as this, if you are a born again believer and have been saved by the Grace of God, partake, no matter who you are or where you are from or if you belong to our church or any church. Communion is between you and God, not you and the church/preacher/congregation. I'm not sure how individual Catholics feel about it.It's not a matter that is subject to individual Catholics' interpretation, but a dogma of the Church that all Catholics follow. We understand the eucharistic celebration in a way that is fundamentally different from protestant denominations. In the celebration of the eucharistic meal, the bread and wine actually become the body and the blood of Christ. At the moment of consecration, Christ himself becomes present under the veiled apearance of bread and wine. This is called transsubstantiation. We consume the body and the blood (in all sense of reality) at Holy Communion, in accordance with Christ's teaching and with the example of the last supper. Most Protestant churches I know of, see the bread and wine merely as symbolic representations. For Catholics, when you take that bit of bread into the palm of your hand, you are cradling The Lord Jesus Christ himself -- not a symbol...a metaphor...or a representation. It is Him. This is why people who are not in full communion with the Church are not permitted to receive Communion. Edited August 13, 201313 yr by Birdsfan
August 13, 201313 yr We have had threads on this topic before (communion) that were very informative and pretty wide in scope if I remember correctly. I appreciate those of you who are willing to share the Catholic beliefs with us non-Catholics in an open way.
August 13, 201313 yr It's not a matter that is subject to individual Catholics' interpretation, but a dogma of the Church that all Catholics follow. We understand the eucharistic celebration in a way that is fundamentally different from protestant denominations. In the celebration of the eucharistic meal, the bread and wine actually become the body and the blood of Christ. At the moment of consecration, Christ himself becomes present under the veiled apearance of bread and wine. This is called transsubstantiation. We consume the body and the blood (in all sense of reality) at Holy Communion, in accordance with Christ's teaching and with the example of the last supper. Most Protestant churches I know of, see the bread and wine merely as symbolic representations. For Catholics, when you take that bit of bread into the palm of your hand, you are cradling The Lord Jesus Christ himself -- not a symbol...a metaphor...or a representation. It is Him. This is why people who are not in full communion with the Church are not permitted to receive Communion. Ok, fair enough as far as an explanation of what's believed. Totally, absolutely 100% debatable for sure and not what I believe, and I'll just leave it at that for now. What I would be interested to know though Bird...lets say you invite me to a mass with you...which I would totally go to and look forward to by the way if that actually happened. But lets say it did happen. Comes time for Communion. I go up and get in line (assuming that's how it's done where you go, that's how I have seen it done at masses I have been to). So, what happens to me when I approach the Priest to accept Communion? Does he know I'm not Catholic and by the doctrine he believes in he refuses me? Or do you grab me by the arm and ask me not to go forward, you knowing that I'm not Catholic and believing I should not receive communion there? If I did get up there and got the bread and the sip of wine...what would that then mean as far as a Catholic was concerned? Or did it mean nothing at all? Not trying to start anything, and I think you know that, just very interested in knowing. I find this topic very interesting.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.