August 13, 201313 yr Ok, fair enough as far as an explanation of what's believed. Totally, absolutely 100% debatable for sure and not what I believe, and I'll just leave it at that for now.See, for those who believe, this is not debatable in any way. It's simply a fact that comes from the earliest days of Christianity. That's part of the reason why people who follow Christian denominations that have split from Catholicism over the centuries are asked to obstain from participating in Catholic communion. It's the only part of the Mass that is reserved in that way. Everyone is welcome to participate in all of the other parts of the Mass. Not trying to sound antagonistic. Just trying to explain our position as I understand it. What I would be interested to know though Bird...lets say you invite me to a mass with you...which I would totally go to and look forward to by the way if that actually happened. But lets say it did happen. Comes time for Communion. I go up and get in line (assuming that's how it's done where you go, that's how I have seen it done at masses I have been to). So, what happens to me when I approach the Priest to accept Communion? Does he know I'm not Catholic and by the doctrine he believes in he refuses me? Or do you grab me by the arm and ask me not to go forward, you knowing that I'm not Catholic and believing I should not receive communion there? If I did get up there and got the bread and the sip of wine...what would that then mean as far as a Catholic was concerned? Or did it mean nothing at all? Not trying to start anything, and I think you know that, just very interested in knowing. I find this topic very interesting.No, we don't have any communion cops that pull you over and whoop on you. At least, not yet. ;-) It's really just a matter between the person and their conscience. This question actually came up during one of our RCIA meetings earlier this year. Our priest explained that we can't know the ways of the Lord. Perhaps it would have a positive effect on the person; however, it's a sticky area. Catholics aren't even allowed to participate in communion if they have unconfessed mortal sins on their heart. It's considered an offense to Christ. I would love for you to go to Mass with me! There's probably some things you could explain to me. If you live in our area, I invite you to get involved in our RCIA program -- or one near you. These are just casual weekly discussion and learning sessions that run for a number of weeks leading up to Easter. There is no assumption that you would actually become Catholic, but baptism and confirmation into the Church are the culmination of the process for those who choose to take that step. PM me if you would like more information about it. Edited August 13, 201313 yr by Birdsfan
August 13, 201313 yr See, for those who believe, this is not debatable in any way. It's simply a fact that comes from the earliest days of Christianity. That's part of the reason why people who follow Christian denominations that have split from Catholicism over the centuries are asked to obstain from participating in Catholic communion. It's the only part of the Mass that is reserved in that way. Everyone is welcome to participate in all of the other parts of the Mass. Not trying to sound antagonistic. Just trying to explain our position as I understand it. No, we don't have any communion cops that pull you over and whoop on you. At least, not yet. ;-) It's really just a matter between the person and their conscience. This question actually came up during one of our RCIA meetings earlier this year. Our priest explained that we can't know the ways of the Lord. Perhaps it would have a positive effect on the person; however, it's a sticky area. Catholics aren't even allowed to participate in communion if they have unconfessed mortal sins on their heart. It's considered an offense to Christ. I would love for you to go to Mass with me! There's probably some things you could explain to me. If you live in our area, I invite you to get involved in our RCIA program -- or one near you. These are just casual weekly discussion and learning sessions that run for a number of weeks leading up to Easter. There is no assumption that you would actually become Catholic, but baptism and confirmation into the Church are the culmination of the process for those who choose to take that step. PM me if you would like more information about it. Don't live up that way, live in Anderson County, but if it's an open invitation to attend mass with you at some point in the future, would love to do it, I'd make the trip up there. Would also like to get to know the NKY area better and maybe visit one of those "hidden gems" places to eat that was brought up in another thread. My work takes me to NKY somewhat frequently, Florence and Hebron area, but outside of those two areas I really don't know a lot about NKY. And hey...what do you know...just looked at my schedule...work has me at the Cincy airport tomorrow till about 2:00 or so, sitting in on a class up there. I'm thinking a brief tour of some areas and a nice supper at one of the afore mentioned hidden gems.:up: Now, just a tidbit of info here I stumbled across as I was researching this topic. A little age on this study, but has to do with Catholics and their beliefs about Communion. Definitely a split in how its viewed across the masses. Recently, a Gallup poll was taken on Catholic attitudes toward Holy Communion. The poll showed serious confusion among Catholics about one of the most basic beliefs of the Church. Only 30 percent of those surveyed believe they are actually receiving the Body and Blood, soul and divinity of the Lord Jesus Christ under the appearance of bread and wine. 29 percent think they are receiving bread and wine which symbolize the spirit and teachings of Jesus and, in so doing, are expressing their attachment to His person and words. 10 percent understand their action to be receiving bread and wine in which Jesus is present. and 23 percent hold that they are receiving what has become the Body and Blood of Christ because of their personal belief.
August 13, 201313 yr Communion is between you and God, not you and the church/preacher/congregation. I'm not sure how individual Catholics feel about it. I have always assumed the Catholic Church teaches that Communion is the epitome of when the community of faith (Catholic Faith) come together as one to share in communion with God. Somewhat shoots off of the "When two more more gather in My Name, I am with you" (I think that is how it goes). Also in that communion hails back to the last supper where the Apostles met with Jesus as a group of believers. That is why I would assume the Chuch feels communion is for a group of similar faith.
August 13, 201313 yr See, for those who believe, this is not debatable in any way. It's simply a fact that comes from the earliest days of Christianity. That's part of the reason why people who follow Christian denominations that have split from Catholicism over the centuries are asked to obstain from participating in Catholic communion. It's the only part of the Mass that is reserved in that way. Everyone is welcome to participate in all of the other parts of the Mass. Not trying to sound antagonistic. Just trying to explain our position as I understand it. No, we don't have any communion cops that pull you over and whoop on you. At least, not yet. ;-) It's really just a matter between the person and their conscience. This question actually came up during one of our RCIA meetings earlier this year. Our priest explained that we can't know the ways of the Lord. Perhaps it would have a positive effect on the person; however, it's a sticky area. Catholics aren't even allowed to participate in communion if they have unconfessed mortal sins on their heart. It's considered an offense to Christ. I would love for you to go to Mass with me! There's probably some things you could explain to me. If you live in our area, I invite you to get involved in our RCIA program -- or one near you. These are just casual weekly discussion and learning sessions that run for a number of weeks leading up to Easter. There is no assumption that you would actually become Catholic, but baptism and confirmation into the Church are the culmination of the process for those who choose to take that step. PM me if you would like more information about it. I have seen "communion cops" in New Orleans at St. Louis Cathedral. They were big guys in coats and ties standing to the left and right of those distributing Holy Communion. The one watched me very carefully to make sure that I had chewed and swallowed the host prior to walking past him. While discussing this with my family afterwards, we assumed this practice had a lot to do with the vodoo and occult presence all around the French Quarter. Many in that lifestyle have been known to come into a Mass, steal the Body and Blood of Christ without consuming it and then go and make it part of a satanic ritual. Pretty sick IMO! We don't have the "Mafia looking dudes" in NKY (that I know of), but as a trained Minister of Holy Communion, we are told to be on the lookout for similar actions ourselves (which is extremely tough to do if trying to concentrate on the next person in line).
August 13, 201313 yr See, for those who believe, this is not debatable in any way. It's simply a fact that comes from the earliest days of Christianity. That's part of the reason why people who follow Christian denominations that have split from Catholicism over the centuries are asked to obstain from participating in Catholic communion. It's the only part of the Mass that is reserved in that way. Everyone is welcome to participate in all of the other parts of the Mass. Not trying to sound antagonistic. Just trying to explain our position as I understand it. No, we don't have any communion cops that pull you over and whoop on you. At least, not yet. ;-) It's really just a matter between the person and their conscience. This question actually came up during one of our RCIA meetings earlier this year. Our priest explained that we can't know the ways of the Lord. Perhaps it would have a positive effect on the person; however, it's a sticky area. Catholics aren't even allowed to participate in communion if they have unconfessed mortal sins on their heart. It's considered an offense to Christ. I would love for you to go to Mass with me! There's probably some things you could explain to me. If you live in our area, I invite you to get involved in our RCIA program -- or one near you. These are just casual weekly discussion and learning sessions that run for a number of weeks leading up to Easter. There is no assumption that you would actually become Catholic, but baptism and confirmation into the Church are the culmination of the process for those who choose to take that step. PM me if you would like more information about it. Dang, meant to point this out in last reply to you and forgot. Actually yes it is debatable...and seems to be very debatable even among Catholics as that overview from the study I posted, done by a Catholic organization, alludes to.
August 13, 201313 yr Only 30 percent of those surveyed believe they are actually receiving the Body and Blood, soul and divinity of the Lord Jesus Christ under the appearance of bread and wine. 29 percent think they are receiving bread and wine which symbolize the spirit and teachings of Jesus and, in so doing, are expressing their attachment to His person and words. 10 percent understand their action to be receiving bread and wine in which Jesus is present. and 23 percent hold that they are receiving what has become the Body and Blood of Christ because of their personal belief. [/b][/i] This must be the "spirit of renewal" from Vatican II we've all been waiting on for half a century... I joke... but this sort of stuff is not uncommon in the modern church.
August 13, 201313 yr Dang, meant to point this out in last reply to you and forgot. Actually yes it is debatable...and seems to be very debatable even among Catholics as that overview from the study I posted, done by a Catholic organization, alludes to. No, it is infallible doctrine and NOT subject to debate or opinion polls. Any Catholic who believes other than the approved doctrine is, in a word...wrong. There is no room for debate of the truth.
August 13, 201313 yr Dang, meant to point this out in last reply to you and forgot. Actually yes it is debatable...and seems to be very debatable even among Catholics as that overview from the study I posted, done by a Catholic organization, alludes to. Whoops...the poll was done by Gallup...meant to say I found it on a Catholic organization website discussing the findings. And Jim, if I'm not mistaken the poll was done several years ago, so the numbers may not be exactly the same today I'm sure.
August 13, 201313 yr No, it is infallible doctrine and NOT subject to debate or opinion polls. Any Catholic who believes other than the approved doctrine is, in a word...wrong. There is no room for debate of the truth. "Wrong"? No... you want to say it... come on, it's such a fun word and you know you want to say it...
August 13, 201313 yr I have not been to church since I was 13. My parents made me go to church before that and I never did like it.
August 13, 201313 yr "Wrong"? No... you want to say it... come on, it's such a fun word and you know you want to say it... "Riding the express bus to Cindertown?" :sneaky:
August 13, 201313 yr I have seen "communion cops" in New Orleans at St. Louis Cathedral. They were big guys in coats and ties standing to the left and right of those distributing Holy Communion. The one watched me very carefully to make sure that I had chewed and swallowed the host prior to walking past him. While discussing this with my family afterwards, we assumed this practice had a lot to do with the vodoo and occult presence all around the French Quarter. Many in that lifestyle have been known to come into a Mass, steal the Body and Blood of Christ without consuming it and then go and make it part of a satanic ritual. Pretty sick IMO! We don't have the "Mafia looking dudes" in NKY (that I know of), but as a trained Minister of Holy Communion, we are told to be on the lookout for similar actions ourselves (which is extremely tough to do if trying to concentrate on the next person in line). Weird. I was taught that you don't chew at all. In fact, we were taught to never let it touch our teeth. Random fact...my sister and I tried hundreds of times to make communion wafers at home. I can only assume that Gold Medal All-Purpose was not the flour of choice. :lol:
August 14, 201313 yr Many in that lifestyle have been known to come into a Mass, steal the Body and Blood of Christ without consuming it and then go and make it part of a satanic ritual. Pretty sick IMO!. It is very sick. Look up the black mass on Wikipedia and other sites. Even non Catholics would find it appalling what links they go to desecrate Jesus.
August 14, 201313 yr Weird. I was taught that you don't chew at all. In fact, we were taught to never let it touch our teeth. Random fact...my sister and I tried hundreds of times to make communion wafers at home. I can only assume that Gold Medal All-Purpose was not the flour of choice. :lol: I have a bit of a swallowing problem myself, so I need to chew a little bit (whether I am supposed to do it or no).
August 14, 201313 yr Weird. I was taught that you don't chew at all. In fact, we were taught to never let it touch our teeth. Me too. It's why communion comes in those little "wafers". They're made so that they dissolve on your tongue using only saliva to break it down. It comes from another old, pre-Vatican II teaching (read: still a teaching, everyone just ignores it) that chewing would lead to pieces of the host getting stuck in the communicant's teeth, which should be unacceptable considering that it's, you know, the consecrated flesh of the savior of the world.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.