Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Church Attendance

Featured Replies

Went to Mass once in Florida. In their bulletin they published attendance figures for the various Masses from the week before. So I am sitting there before Mass on a Saturday night and the previous Saturday night the attendance was listed as 454. I look around and there are maybe 30 people there this time with Mass about to start. Thought maybe they were counting season ticket holders or something. Then as Mass starts at 5 PM people just kept streaming in......like 20 every minute all the way up to Communion time. By then the church is absolutely packed. And then 90% of the people leave immediately after Communion. At the end there were maybe 50 people left. Strangest thing.

 

I don't get it how folks leave right after communion, there is only about 5 minutes of the mass remaining.

 

I remember Fr. Frazier at Divine Mercy in Bellevue calling people out has they would leave mass before it was over.

 

He is also the priest that "chastised" someone who had their cell phone go off during mass. He told the person, "if a phone rings during mass it better be God on the other end". :lol2:

  • Replies 90
  • Views 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Went to Mass once in Florida. In their bulletin they published attendance figures for the various Masses from the week before. So I am sitting there before Mass on a Saturday night and the previous Saturday night the attendance was listed as 454. I look around and there are maybe 30 people there this time with Mass about to start. Thought maybe they were counting season ticket holders or something. Then as Mass starts at 5 PM people just kept streaming in......like 20 every minute all the way up to Communion time. By then the church is absolutely packed. And then 90% of the people leave immediately after Communion. At the end there were maybe 50 people left. Strangest thing.

 

That seems to be true at most Catholic churches. It is at ours.

I don't get it how folks leave right after communion, there is only about 5 minutes of the mass remaining.

 

I remember Fr. Frazier at Divine Mercy in Bellevue calling people out has they would leave mass before it was over.

 

He is also the priest that "chastised" someone who had their cell phone go off during mass. He told the person, "if a phone rings during mass it better be God on the other end". :lol2:

 

I live by the rule "priest is last one to enter and the first one to exit."

I live by the rule "priest is last one to enter and the first one to exit."

 

:thumb:

Every Sunday and most Wednesday's. I also teach a youth group and have spoke on "youth" nights. I am one of those "crazy" Pentecostals. I love my Lord and when I miss church for whatever reason I certainly feel that lack of uplifting. Going to church lifts us up, corrects us and if we are willing to listen and accept what the spirit reveals to us we will grow!

I don't get it how folks leave right after communion, there is only about 5 minutes of the mass remaining.

 

I remember Fr. Frazier at Divine Mercy in Bellevue calling people out has they would leave mass before it was over.

 

He is also the priest that "chastised" someone who had their cell phone go off during mass. He told the person, "if a phone rings during mass it better be God on the other end". :lol2:

One former pastor of our church (many years ago) would call people out if they didn't find a seat right away at midnight Mass. He would also make people who sat too far back at regular Mass, move forward. In fact, he wouldn't even turn on the lights in the back half of the church. :cool:

The coolest church I've ever been to is St. Thomas More in Sarasota, Florida. Most of the walls in the naïve are glass, and the pews are arranged in a cross formation. It gives it a very open and airy feel. Granted, you can get away with that in Florida, but it makes for an uplifting experience. They had a full choir at every Mass, and everyone there was super-friendly and welcoming.

 

They had some even more unique features though. The alter was at one end of the cross, but there was a podium in the center where he sometimes gave the homily. Also, at the beginning of Mass, they would have all the little kids gather in the center. The priest would give them a brief talk and ask one or two of them a question. Then the kids would be dismissed to go to Sunday school.

 

And last but certainly not least, it is the only church I've ever seen that features a full-fledged gift shop in the vestibule. Only in Florida! :lol2:

Every Sunday and most Wednesday's. I also teach a youth group and have spoke on "youth" nights. I am one of those "crazy" Pentecostals. I love my Lord and when I miss church for whatever reason I certainly feel that lack of uplifting. Going to church lifts us up, corrects us and if we are willing to listen and accept what the spirit reveals to us we will grow!

:thumb:

I live by the rule "priest is last one to enter and the first one to exit."

 

First time attending St Louis Parish today. SHOCKED at how many people bolted after communion.

First time attending St Louis Parish today. SHOCKED at how many people bolted after communion.

 

I would almost guarantee half of them "bolted" at this point, happens every time we go there. Seems like no one wants to wait in line to leave. I would also bet you probably knew at least 8 to 10 people that were there. Seems like everytime we go there I run into St. Henry hoops head coach Dave Faust.

 

I should have mentioned, if you don't get there by 2:45 plan on standing for mass.

I can honestly say the last Sunday/Saturday mass that I missed was Easter Sunday of '94 (it was a scheduling snafu on my part), although I made up for later that evening by watching a 2 hour special about the life of Christ on cable. :lol2:

 

Ever since I can remember weekend mass has been a family thing. Growing up my parents and my brother and sister always attended EVERY week, including Holy Days. When I got into high school, especially when I was a jr. & sr., I started going on Saturday evening so I could catch a few extra winks in the morning. :thumb:. After high school I continued to attend every Saturday/Sunday and on various Holy Days, although I'm sure I missed a time or two, but that's it.

 

Even when I was playing in softball tourneys back in the day and we were out of town, as soon as I got to my hotel room I would get out the phone book and find the nearest church so I could go to mass. I remember going to mass at a church in Murfreesboro, TN and I had to wear my uniform (hot pink sliders:sssh:). After mass as I greeted the priest outside of church I apologized because of my attire, his response..."God doesn't care how you're dressed just as long as you show up". Today has a husband and father of 3, we go as a family mostly on Saturday evenings, this is my 1st priority for the weekend.

 

Please don't take this the wrong way, but why do so many not attend when they are out of town???? Just because you might be on vacation doesn't mean you take a vacation from attending Mass! When we are going out of town the 1st thing I do is go to Mass Times and find a catholic church and it's mass times.

 

As a Catholic there is no reason to not make your weekly obligation with all the churches and the wide variety of times to make it to mass. For the NKY Catholics it starts with the 3:00pm Saturday Mass at St. Louis (8th & Walnut) downtown Cincinnati to Sunday at 7:00pm at St. Henry.

 

Northern KY Catholics have a new "last chance" Mass - Thomas More College - Mary, Seat of Wisdom Chapel - 8:00pm on Sunday night.

Northern KY Catholics have a new "last chance" Mass - Thomas More College - Mary, Seat of Wisdom Chapel - 8:00pm on Sunday night.

 

I thought this was only during the fall and spring semesters. No?

First time attending St Louis Parish today. SHOCKED at how many people bolted after communion.

 

That is a "drive thru" mass. We had the same thing w our 4:30 Saturday mass at St. Francis de Sales in Newport before it was torn down for "progress".

First time attending St Louis Parish today. SHOCKED at how many people bolted after communion.

 

Agreed. It's almost embarrassing to sit in the congregation and see how many people leave after communion at that mass.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.