University of Illinois 1-day camp

We took a group of 19 to the camp at U. of Illinois. VERY well-run camp--all of it right on the game field and in their weight room right off the game field.

About 200 kids present.

I'm trying and trying to post some pictures, but am obviously doing something wrong. But I'll keep trying. (tried straight from computer--nothing showed up; tried from web hosting--said invalid file...help?)

Taking guys on these trips is a lot of work and time, but when you get to see first-hand the bonding that takes place, it's really invaluable. If it didn't cost so much, would love to take a whole team.

This shot was at 11pm (EDT) at the statue of Red Grange. Not only was it great exposure to over 20 colleges of all levels, but our guys got to learn a little of the rich history of this great game (something you DON'T get playing 'Madden 2013').

IMG_0512.jpg

For coaches out there looking for a place to recommend to your guys for exposure, I'd put this one up there with any. Northwestern and Ohio State had a lot more college coaches there to evaluate, had them from all levels, but there were maybe 4 times more kids -- had to look like a greek god or Tony Siragusa to stand out.

This one had 3 other full-scholarship schools in addition to Illinois (SIU, EIU, and WIU) -- and all of us know we have WAY more players who can play at the FCS level than the FBS level. In addition, there were D2, D3, & NAIA schools from Illinois, Missouri, Wisconsin, and Indiana there.

Three of my guys who were previously unknown to them got the attention of at least one of the FCS schools there (and Derek Strasser -- played Rush End for us last year, will be a Safety this year -- had all 3 of them asking me about him). One of the strong Missouri NAIA schools asked if he could speak to our whole group about his school and said he'd be starting to come to Ballard to recruit as an annual visit.

Nice stuff Coach. How would you compare the Illinois Camp versus others you have seen.

I edited the above post to exactly what you asked while you were posting apparently.

As far as exposure to a large-number and wide-variety of schools as well as chance to get noticed by them, I'd count it the best I've taken kids to. My ONLY criticism is that they fed them dinner (a VERY nice, all-you-can eat meal) at the beginning and only then about 30 minutes before the offense guys ran 40s.

I went to the UK night camp the next day and because they had so many more campers, I'd say our kids got about 3x more reps in the 1on1 drills than the kids at UK got (and, due to how they did after about 12 great reps in a row in the 1on1's, had a Jr-to-be Moe Masden and Sr-to-be Bennie Berry get the eye of about 5 different schools; 2 of them FCS schools). In comparison to the 15 reps those guys got at UI, Will Bush at the UK camp got about 5 reps total vs. a DB in their 1on1's (although they DID keep him around after the camp to get him and about 7 or 8 other receivers reps).

As I said above, the Northwestern and Ohio State camps have MANY more FCS, D2, D3, and NAIA schools there to see kids perform, but there are just too many kids there for adequate reps and too many campers for someone to stand out unless they're already known about or they have freakish size (and those guys often don't really need a camp like this to catch a college's eye -- they get that based on their height/weight alone).

Hope that helps.

Congrats. Ballard loaded with athletes this year. I for one expect the opener to be a very, very good football game

Yes--we hope to play them tough again.

And you're right--we have some good athletes. Unfortunately, ours are getting looked at by good FCS programs while the team we play first has a bunch of guys getting looks from BCS programs!