Are there any qualifications to be a high school ref?

I am just wondering if there are any qualifications to be a high school referee. I've watched several games this season for several teams and last nights game at Boone County against Holy Cross was by far the worst called game ever. The refs had no idea on 4 occasions who had the ball and who the foul was being called on. I watched them make some bad calls and then to make up for it there would be a make up call which was obvious what was going on. They were calling some dumb stuff but as soon as one of Holy Cross's player started a pushing match, the kids were broke up and no foul was called. I watched both refs give the players for Holy Cross little butt taps. There have got to be some standards because the kids don't even control the games the refs do.

99% of the people that complain about officiating have never seen a copy of the Official Rule Book, have never taken a class on the rules, have never worn the stripes, and have absolutely NO IDEA what they are talking about.

Ignorance can be overcome by attending a rules clinic. If someone is serious about learning how to officiate, that is the starting point. Pay the dues to join the local association, get a copy of the rule book, READ it (along with a case book), attend some clinics, buy some stripes and a Fox 40 whistle, then get out there and make some friends. One will be amazed at just how easy it is to impress people with the vast stores of knowledge one can acquire so quickly...

Frances

I'm not laughing.

How many games have you ever officiated? Have you ever read the rule book? Have you been to any clinics?

Just asking.

Frances

It's just a joke...... as in any profession, there are good ones and bad ones and as every job has it's thankless moments.

I am not one to blast the refs, because as Aunt Bea says, I've never read the rule book. BUT in the last two weeks, I have seen more refs overturn calls than I had ever noticed before. Do we need instant replay? 99% of the time, the first call is the correct one. As silly as it may sound, is there a senior ref? One that can call the shots over the other one or two? The guard was already on the sidelines with the ball in his hand when another ref overturned the out of bounds call. It occurred at a very critical time in the game.

It's just a joke...... as in any profession, there are good ones and bad ones and as every job has it's thankless moments.

My apologies, bballfan42. I took your post as being a literal attack on all officials. Sorry about misreading your intent.

Just a sore spot with me...

Again, I apologize.

Frances

My apologies, bballfan42. I took your post as being a literal attack on all officials. Sorry about misreading your intent.

Just a sore spot with me...

Again, I apologize.

Frances

no prob............. I've noticed the same thing about people's posts. Without voice inflections, gestures and mannerisms, it is hard to know intent.

That's why I did try to show mine with the smileys.

You're the last person, I would want to get on my bad side. I'm afraid in a war of words with you............. I would be an unarmed man.

no prob............. I've noticed the same thing about people's posts. Without voice inflections, gestures and mannerisms, it is hard to know intent.

That's why I did try to show mine with the smileys.

You're the last person, I would want to get on my bad side. I'm afraid in a war of words with you............. I would be an unarmed man.

Nonsense, bballfan42. You made a statement in your post, and I took it the wrong way. It was my fault, completely.

As for the "war of words", it always comes down to being able to express yourself - and you're doing an excellent job of making yourself clear - taking a backseat to no one. :thumb:

Frances

I watched a ref a couple weeks ago over turn a 3 to a 2 and the kicker is that it was 2 possesions later. It was at a very critical part of the game and after watching a video of the game the boy shooting was a foot behind the line. Now i know refs make mistakes but this was 3 ft away from him and no one blocking his path. This one did get sent in and I hope that ref is done calling games. I think ray charles has a better chance calling these games than most of the refs in the 9th region i've seen.

I have also seen what I believe to be poor officiating in the 9th this year. However, that being said, I would like to add that I couldn't do a better job. Nor do I care to. You have to have some pretty thick skin to call b-ball games. No matter what you call (or don't call) someone is always going to think it's the wrong call. Tough situation. I have to admire them for doing it, though I think they must be gluttons for punishment.

99% of the people that complain about officiating have never seen a copy of the Official Rule Book, have never taken a class on the rules, have never worn the stripes, and have absolutely NO IDEA what they are talking about.

Ignorance can be overcome by attending a rules clinic. If someone is serious about learning how to officiate, that is the starting point. Pay the dues to join the local association, get a copy of the rule book, READ it (along with a case book), attend some clinics, buy some stripes and a Fox 40 whistle, then get out there and make some friends. One will be amazed at just how easy it is to impress people with the vast stores of knowledge one can acquire so quickly...

Frances

Preach it, brother.