Are there any qualifications to be a high school ref?

Yes i am. I've been watching basketball or playing it for well over 15 years. I'm saying it is pretty bad when (no offense) but when there are ppl in the stands that know nothing about bball and are seeing how bad these refs are. It's not like it's that hard to go out on a court and call a game. i used to ump ball games and it's the same thing, yes there is pressure but you have to be consistant and you have to be fair. Most of my problem with the game calling is it's totally not fair. Sometimes the game is called in the way of the other team, sometimes it's called in the way of the team i want to win, but either way one of the teams are getting screwed. Out of the 15-20 games i've wathced this year I think i've seen 4 games called good. Yes, there are going to be mistakes, they are human but to totally blow a game is a bit rediculous, but regardless there are more and more games being left up to refs.

No offense taken, basketballwiz - but we'll just have to agree to disagree.

If you've never been to a rules clinic, or read (and digested) a rule book, there is no way that you know more than the average ref. Maybe (and it's a BIG maybe) you might know more than a first year ref.

I love sitting in the stands and listen to the "unofficial refs" scream about the missed "over and back" call, when they don't understand that all three points have to cross the midcourt line, or my favorite - the morons that scream for a five second call, when they have no idea of how it even works (you can actually gaurd your man for up to 12 seconds without getting the five second call).

There are others, but these two are probably my favorites.

Frances