Campbell County 13 Bracken County 3 (10th Region First Round)

In my day, only one pitcher was necessary. She pitched every game. Backup pitchers learned other positions or sat on the pine. Who is the freshman pitcher who I'm hearing good things about? Saw a few camel fans last week who told me they have a redhead who is a really good pitcher. Do you know her, owen five?

Anna Johnson is the freshman. A little rough around the edges but is a strong kid.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Because kids are not willing to work at it in my opinion. It does not matter if your high school school coach does not know much about pitching in my opinion. You can ask ANY average pitcher how to fix their pitching and they can tell you. For example you throw a pitch high or continually throw it ask them what they need to do. #1 is to shorten their stride. If they are throwing everything low you lengthen your stride. You have to throw everyday. If your child does not do that you can't blame anyone but them. People will disagree with me on this but kids must work at it. Also pitchers need to run everyday to keep their legs in shape. Legs equal power/speed.

I bet JMU's daughter does something softball related everyday and it has paid off.[/

I will stop brfore i say something i shouldnt say:) people dont know what some of these kids do or dont do every day or on weekends:) nothings beats good old playing time either:)

Randy, fill me in on something since my only experience with ladies softball is watching college games on ESPN for the most part. Does one pitcher pitch most of the entire season for teams in high school? Is there worry about arms or pitch counts or pitching consecutive days like in baseball? It just seems like Emma has pitched every game this season,every inning for BC. Does BC even have a number 2 or 3? How many games does a number 1 pitch in a season? Thanks

The only game I know for sure Emma didn't pitch the whole way was one of the Class A games. There may have been a couple of others, but not sure.

I think it's pretty common for a pitcher to carry the bulk of the pitching load. The toll taken on the arm is completely different in softball than baseball because of the throwing motion, so they say it's totally different. I do think Emma, in particular, becomes quite a bit fatigued at times. I don't think that was the case tonight, though her velocity seemed considerably less tonight than what I've seen of her throughout the year. After the first batter in the top of the 1st, I told LCDAWGS & a couple of other guys we were sitting with that Emma wasn't throwing very hard tonight. Again, I'm not saying she was fatigued tonight, but she wasn't throwing nearly as hard as I've seen her throw this year.

The only game I know for sure Emma didn't pitch the whole way was one of the Class A games. There may have been a couple of others, but not sure.

I think it's pretty common for a pitcher to carry the bulk of the pitching load. The toll taken on the arm is completely different in softball than baseball because of the throwing motion, so they say it's totally different. I do think Emma, in particular, becomes quite a bit fatigued at times. I don't think that was the case tonight, though her velocity seemed considerably less tonight than what I've seen of her throughout the year. After the first batter in the top of the 1st, I told LCDAWGS & a couple of other guys we were sitting with that Emma wasn't throwing very hard tonight. Again, I'm not saying she was fatigued tonight, but she wasn't throwing nearly as hard as I've seen her throw this year.

:popcorn:

Because kids are not willing to work at it in my opinion. It does not matter if your high school school coach does not know much about pitching in my opinion. You can ask ANY average pitcher how to fix their pitching and they can tell you. For example you throw a pitch high or continually throw it ask them what they need to do. #1 is to shorten their stride. If they are throwing everything low you lengthen your stride. You have to throw everyday. If your child does not do that you can't blame anyone but them. People will disagree with me on this but kids must work at it. Also pitchers need to run everyday to keep their legs in shape. Legs equal power/speed.

I bet JMU's daughter does something softball related everyday and it has paid off.[/

I will stop brfore i say something i shouldnt say:) people dont know what some of these kids do or dont do every day or on weekends:) nothings beats good old playing time either:)

I am not disagreeing with you about playing time you simple asked why is it hard to develop a 2nd pitcher and I gave my reasoning. In my opinion high school softball is not for development of players unless those players are not playing on a club team. High school softball is to keep the skills at the level they were and to work on things (just my opinion). When I played high school softball was fun because our club teams were intense. Did I learn anything new from my HS coach? Nope because it was my club team coaches who had already taught me my skills.

With all this said playing time is important but if you are not putting the work in it means nothing.

Looking at their schedule looks like the only quailty win was against SK and I think Sk pitched their #2 that game. Lost 12-2 against Bracken so yeah this is a real shocker. Bracken also played 14 more games than Campbell Co so that makes it even more shocking!

This was a big upset for sure. If they was to play 10 more times CC might beat them once but thats beside the point CC took care of business on the one that mattered. Goes to show you better be ready to play every night. Great job by the 37th district on winning 2 games they weren't suppose to win and good luck tomorrow night

I bet JMU's daughter does something softball related everyday and it has paid off.

*and when I say pitch everyday I mean something pitching related. If that is working on your spins or throwing you have to do something everyday due to muscle memory.

After my daughters freshman year and Danielle Hausfeld graduating, NewCath Coach Denny Barnes came to my daugther and told her she needed to learn how to pitch because we had no one to pitch the following year. He knew I would work with her and so everyday for the next 9 months everyday I would catch for her. Dan and Danielle Hausfeld gave us quite a few "pointers" and we took it from there. In the beginning (1st month) it was BRUTAL, I thought this was going to be a mistake, however as we kept going at it she got better and better. She does a decent job of just getting the ball over the plate and that was all that was asked of her. In all honesty she "loaths" pitching, hates it, hates it, hates it and trust me she is average at best, but for a kid who never had a "real" lesson one I'm pleased that she was able to it.

Like memyselfandi stated, it takes dedication and practice EVERYDAY to be really successful at this craft.

Look at some of the best college pitchers, "J" Train, Escobedo, Ricketts, "stocky" ladies with strong legs.

I would love to see you call any of those lady's "Stocky" to their face. My Guess is there would be no more Lawnboy-away needed.

I don't know, but maybe you miss to make a point that education is first!!!

Would she need to attend this 8th grade graduation in order for her to move onto the 9th grade? If not it does not have anything to with education. The rest of her 8th grade class does not need her there in order to graduate, her softball team needs her in order to compete at their best.