May 26, 201313 yr Completely disagree. I see where Lawnboy is coming from here Clyde. I don't think any random or innocent kid should have done to them what happened at BC. However, if my daughter was suspicious of stealing that phone and there was good reason to believe she had it - I'd have no issue with what Nell did. I know it could've been handled better, so don't think I'm in favor of my kids being strip searched at school. It's regrettable and terribly sad that this will most likely end the great career of an amazing coach.
May 26, 201313 yr This would be against board of education policy in my district. Only an administrator can do anything like this and only with another administrator present, I believe.
May 26, 201313 yr I see where Lawnboy is coming from here Clyde. I don't think any random or innocent kid should have done to them what happened at BC. However, if my daughter was suspicious of stealing that phone and there was good reason to believe she had it - I'd have no issue with what Nell did. I know it could've been handled better, so don't think I'm in favor of my kids being strip searched at school. It's regrettable and terribly sad that this will most likely end the great career of an amazing coach. So that I do not put words into your mouth... Is it acceptable to have a girl raise her bra to show she didn't steal a cell phone?
May 26, 201313 yr So that I do not put words into your mouth... Is it acceptable to have a girl raise her bra to show she didn't steal a cell phone? You did not ask me, but I'll say emphatically, NO!
May 26, 201313 yr So that I do not put words into your mouth... Is it acceptable to have a girl raise her bra to show she didn't steal a cell phone? If they do that to my daughter, I pray to God they find a cell phone, because they are going to need it to call 911.
May 26, 201313 yr I am a big fan of Coach Fookes but I disagree on this one. Maybe call the cell phone number in question when the girls are pulled to the side?
May 26, 201313 yr What could you do with a stolen cell phone? I would call my service provider immediately and let them know it was stolen and they should be able to shut down service on it. If I had a stolen cell phone and tried to get service on it, couldn't the provider pull up info on the SIM card and see it wasn't mine?
May 26, 201313 yr So that I do not put words into your mouth... Is it acceptable to have a girl raise her bra to show she didn't steal a cell phone? I agree with you, and say no it's not acceptable! On her own, Fookes decided to take some girls to the side she thought may have stolen the phone, and make them raise their bra? With all of the teacher/student sex stuff going on i'm surprised more don't see an issue with this, I'm sure more would if it was a male teacher, even if it was with male students, or just a teacher and not a successful coach. As was mentioned, you call the number of the phone that was stolen, if you don't hear a ring, then you call the office or take them there, threaten to call the police. A LOT of better ways to handle this situation!
May 26, 201313 yr I related this story to my wife, a long-time teacher. What I got was a shake of the head and a "What was she thinking?"
May 26, 201313 yr No way would I let anyone at school humiliate my daughter that way. Just like my mom wouldn't let Mr. Listerman swat me in 7th grade, I would not let any school personnel lay a hand on my kid. You have a problem, you call me and we will work it out.
May 26, 201313 yr Thank goodness I had a shop teacher, dean of boys and coaches who "got my attention" at times or I would have gone down another path in life. I have no idea what transpired with coach Fookes, however I do know that some of us hard heads who like to push the envelope and do things we know are wrong, need an attention getter. I posted the above, and still stand by it, before I knew how Fookes conducted her investigation for the stolen phone. I agree, the phone shouldn't be in class but we all know they carry them to class anyway. My daughter is a high school teacher and confiscates phones just about every day and her school has a policy about bringing them to class. Calling the phone is a good idea but the thief may have turned it off or popped the battery out. I agree Fookes dropped the ball with this. If she had an idea of a group of girls who may have taken the phone, she should have marched them all to school administration and maybe involved the local authorities with the interrogation. I think Nell just slipped off the slope on this one.
May 26, 201313 yr Do we think Nell was trying to get a "sneak peak" at some high school girls breast???? Hell no she wasn't. Could she of handled the situation better??? Of course. But for the love of god, when we were in school :poop: like this happened all the time, and god forbid we go back to when our parents were in school. Parents now days need to get a grip, your "delicate little flowers" are not as delicate as you believe. I recall quite a few incidents as a student at NewCath from '80-'84.....I personally was "slammed" into a locker and lifted off the ground by a teacher for "acting the fool", when I told my parents exactly what happened (what I did & being slammed into the lockers) my dad said (somethink like), "I guess you won't do it again, will you." They didn't go to the school administration crying their child was violated. :no: I fully understand many will not see things as I do, but thats the beauty of this board you don't have to.
May 27, 201313 yr Do we think Nell was trying to get a "sneak peak" at some high school girls breast???? Hell no she wasn't. Could she of handled the situation better??? Of course. But for the love of god, when we were in school :poop: like this happened all the time, and god forbid we go back to when our parents were in school. Parents now days need to get a grip, your "delicate little flowers" are not as delicate as you believe. I recall quite a few incidents as a student at NewCath from '80-'84.....I personally was "slammed" into a locker and lifted off the ground by a teacher for "acting the fool", when I told my parents exactly what happened (what I did & being slammed into the lockers) my dad said (somethink like), "I guess you won't do it again, will you." They didn't go to the school administration crying their child was violated. :no: I fully understand many will not see things as I do, but thats the beauty of this board you don't have to. Just because something happened in the past does not mean that it was the right thing to do. If there is a better way to handle it, well...then she should have handled it in that better way.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.