June 13, 201313 yr I disagree, schools are tax funded and therefore have to be transparent/accountable and their actions are subject public record/disclosure. I understand and there is a way to get that information through the "Open Records Act", which you can do. I still wouldn't offer it up unless I had to.
June 14, 201313 yr I have been thinking about this whole situation and history repeats itself over and over in these types of situations. THE RUN IS OVER.... These types of situations typically occur with "seasoned" or "senior" individuals. Just seems like maybe her generation is still stuck in the 70's and 80's when this type of stuff happened whether right or wrong. I personally believe it is very difficult for teachers/educators that have been in the system for 30 plus yrs to truly understand what one can and can't do in 2013. I just really hate to see someone as successful and brilliant as Nell has been to have something like this happen this late in her career, thats why I say maybe it time to move on while she is on top. God forbid the next incident whether it be teacher or coaching may be minor to all but it will be the last straw.
June 14, 201313 yr I have been thinking about this whole situation and history repeats itself over and over in these types of situations. THE RUN IS OVER.... These types of situations typically occur with "seasoned" or "senior" individuals. Just seems like maybe her generation is still stuck in the 70's and 80's when this type of stuff happened whether right or wrong. I personally believe it is very difficult for teachers/educators that have been in the system for 30 plus yrs to truly understand what one can and can't do in 2013. I just really hate to see someone as successful and brilliant as Nell has been to have something like this happen this late in her career, thats why I say maybe it time to move on while she is on top. God forbid the next incident whether it be teacher or coaching may be minor to all but it will be the last straw. Bobby Knight's zero-tolerance policy comes to mind.
June 14, 201313 yr I disagree, schools are tax funded and therefore have to be transparent/accountable and their actions are subject public record/disclosure. Eh, while I tend to agree with financial records, personnel and discipline records are different. Police departments are tax funded, can I go look up officer's reprimands and such? Budgets, I can, don't know about the other.
June 14, 201313 yr Author Eh, while I tend to agree with financial records, personnel and discipline records are different. Police departments are tax funded, can I go look up officer's reprimands and such? Budgets, I can, don't know about the other. Yes on police officer discipline records.
June 14, 201313 yr Yes on police officer discipline records. Well, I'm more educated then. Anybody has access to those? Or members of the press?
June 14, 201313 yr Author Well, I'm more educated then. Anybody has access to those? Or members of the press? I would have to look into it to give a more specific answer.
June 15, 201313 yr I would have to look into it to give a more specific answer. Anyone can have access to them but not immediately. There are procedures, in general, they are: You can ask in writing, fax, or email. If the cost is more than $40 to produce (this would be an employee's time, copies, whiting out or removing minors names, etc.), you may be asked to pay. People could literally tie up, let's say a Finance Officer for days if there was a lot invlolved and dependent on what you want. Let's say you requested all warrants in year for the city of Cincinnati. This could take hours to copy and lots of paper. The vast majority of requests are far less that $40. The agency has 10 business days to provide the information for review or product. If they canot meet the timeline they must give you a reason and a time they will be able to. So, in essence, you could get a teacher or police officers discipline records, once the investigation is completed, but you have to follow the law to get them. I also think it is very different with students. Do not believe you can get them. Never did a private citizen ask for a staff members records of any kind in my 20 years as a school administrator. Several times lawyers and newspapers did. Please be mindful these are general, there are exceptions and could be things you can't request that I am not aware. I have had lots of citizens ask about salaries, etc. This is a piece of cake and takes no time and many post it on their websites.
June 19, 201313 yr I have been thinking about this whole situation and history repeats itself over and over in these types of situations. THE RUN IS OVER.... These types of situations typically occur with "seasoned" or "senior" individuals. Just seems like maybe her generation is still stuck in the 70's and 80's when this type of stuff happened whether right or wrong. I personally believe it is very difficult for teachers/educators that have been in the system for 30 plus yrs to truly understand what one can and can't do in 2013. I just really hate to see someone as successful and brilliant as Nell has been to have something like this happen this late in her career, thats why I say maybe it time to move on while she is on top. God forbid the next incident whether it be teacher or coaching may be minor to all but it will be the last straw. You bring up some very good points. I believe the political correctness in the past decade or so have gone way overboard to the point that it hurts society more than helps it. I'm not talking about this particular incident, but in general. People get so up in arms if a teacher even puts a hand on a student these days. I personally don't have an issue with it simply because teachers in many instances spend more time with the child than the actual parents do and teachers in many cases are the only adult role model many kids have in their lives and basically raise some of these kids just through the time spent during school hours. The biggest problem with society these days imo is the political correctness which in many cases teaches the wrong lessons. These days it is very easy to not be held accountable for your actions because all you have to do is point the blame elsewhere. This thread is a perfect example of what is wrong with society today. It's hardly even metnioned about the student who stole the cell phone, we instead are too stuck on the process that caught the guilty party and spend the time arguing about the process shouldn't have been done instead of punishing the guilty party for theft in the first place.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.