Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Russ Smith to the NBA?

Featured Replies

I just don't see Russ being successful in the NBA...

Spark plug off the bench type guy. Nate Robinson, Eddie House.. that sort of mold.

  • Replies 154
  • Views 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just don't see Russ being successful in the NBA...

 

Spark plug off the bench type guy. Nate Robinson, Eddie House.. that sort of mold.

And I guess a lot depends upon your definition of successful. The NBA roster is always in need of a Nate Robinson, Eddie House type. I can see a 12-15 minute type guy that brings energy. Able to hang around for a few years in the NBA and make a longer career of it abroad. I would take that. I do agree with labs that if he is going he needs to do it now.

One of the things the NBA guys talk about Russ Smith is his ability to get to the foul line. With the NBA rules of no hands on the point guard when they drive from out front I can see him causing some problems. That rule has really helped smaller guards. My concern would be what was said earlier can he defend bigger guards? Hardaway posted him up easy with only 7 secs on shot clock.

One of the things the NBA guys talk about Russ Smith is his ability to get to the foul line. With the NBA rules of no hands on the point guard when they drive from out front I can see him causing some problems. That rule has really helped smaller guards. My concern would be what was said earlier can he defend bigger guards? Hardaway posted him up easy with only 7 secs on shot clock.

 

His biggest problem is that he defends with his hands and like you said he is small. Defense will be his biggest concern at the next level early on.

He has nothing more to prove in college. He is who he is. He plays 100 mph every play and it is what makes him good and what makes him batty to watch.

He can sneak in late first round and make a roster.

He is not going to get to 6'6 over the summer.

I thought the one thing that would trip UL up on their road to the title was Smith. I didn't think he could put 6 solid games together in the tournament. He didn't. I didn't think he played that well versus WSU.

However, Hancock emerged as a reliable scorer and really bailed them out on the perimeter.

He has a chance at getting first round money this year. Next year he has no shot.

 

This

His biggest problem is that he defends with his hands and like you said he is small. Defense will be his biggest concern at the next level early on.

Which is why he can never start and/or give significant minutes. Robinson has started a lot and played tons of minutes but he is a thicker dude. Smith weighs what, 84 pounds?

May get a little winded here in trying to express my thoughts and it may coincide with the whole one and done scenario.

Why did I go to college? Why did you go to college? Was it really to get an education or was it to give you an experience to make more money? Honestly, I think we are headed for a "bubble burst" with higher education ala the housing/dot.com bubble. The costs are exorbitant and continuing to go up.

Call me crazy but going to college and gaining an education is not really all that necessary to be successful in life in many fields and making a decent wage. You can gain a valuable experience by doing on the job training. I think that is why you see tech schools booming. People going and getting their associates, doing some interning and getting jobs.

With the exception of science, math, some law fields, is a four year education all that necessary to get a decent paying wage?

Maybe I am way off my rocker, but the hoops they have you jump through to get a degree is simply a racket.

Anyways, I think most agree that we went to college to get a degree to earn more money. I was one who crammed 4 years into 5 and half. Spent too much money jumping through hoops and so forth.

Why do kids go to college to play sports? Most have aspirations of making it to the next level, no matter the sport. If it takes them one year to reach it or four, what is the problem?

Are they ready? No. But the money is ridiculous.

It is all about jumping when your value is at the highest. If you desire to have the college experience then so be it. Did I like college? For the most part no. I thought it was a waste of time in many cases. I went to a commuter college so I really didn't experience the "college life". On the job training is the best education that I have experienced.

With college hoops, you have to go when you are at your peak. Case in point, James MacAdoo at UNC. He should have left last year. He was able to live off of Marshall, Barnes and company but would have been an easy lottery pick. He comes back and his game gets picked apart and to an extent he gets exposed. Stock drops and he will likely never be able to recoup the money he would have earned. Same can be said for Cody Zeller to an extent.

Whether Russ Smith stays or goes, his best chance to maximize money, is to go now. It may not be popular but Chane Behanan needs to jump as well.

Call me crazy, but look at what he faces. He is a small power forward on size. He is more of a garbage man player than a skilled back to the basket player. He has a little range, but his stock is pretty high, IMO. You stay or go? He isn't sniffing first round next year or the year after. His best bet is to go now.

It is all about maximizing your value.

Whether or not that translates into a long NBA career, it will likely turn into a career of making 6 figure money for a long while in the Association or elsewhere.

I just don't see Russ being successful in the NBA...

 

He will make a team and stick around but I don't see him making much of an impact.

There's nothing for him here now. His stock won't get any higher coming back for a year and he's got nothing left to prove as far as I'm concerned.

 

Thanks for three fun -- and ridiculous -- years; good luck to him with the pro career.

Russ Sr. has also said "who cares about the feedback" and "it don't matter, I ain't letting him come back" or something to that effect....

The ONLY thing that Russ himself has said was that he was "50/50" about leaving, and that was right after the game Monday.

 

Big Russ is after Little Russ' money, if you ask me.

The ONLY thing that Russ himself has said was that he was "50/50" about leaving, and that was right after the game Monday.

 

Big Russ is after Little Russ' money, if you ask me.

 

Can't remember who it was, but some media guy tweeted yesterday that Russ confirmed his dad's comments. :idunno:

Can't remember who it was, but some media guy tweeted yesterday that Russ confirmed his dad's comments. :idunno:

 

He may have. I just hadn't heard anything concrete.

 

Part of it is me being selfish and wanting him to stay, and the other part is that I always fear players leaving for the wrong reasons. Get some advice from somebody "in the know," not just Mom and Dad.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.