Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Is There A Parent/Coach Issue at Boone County?

Featured Replies

If tearing them to shreds means denigrating the kid, I do not agree with that. If it means challenging them about why they did or didn't do something, on a highly competitive team I am ok with it. The key obviously is handling it properly and not belittling the player. On the motivating side, I don't consider "tearing them to shreds" to be motivating at all. It will get a player to really focus on correcting mistakes but it is not motivating. IMO, the absolute best motivator is clearly positive reinforcement.

 

Very well stated.........we generaly give teachers of athletics (i.e. coaches) a lot of leeway that teachers of academics (i.e the 3 r's) would not even condsider.

  • Replies 143
  • Views 29.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Author
Here is my 2 cents. I know Todd and think he is a good person and coach that means well. Now having said that, I've seen my son play for an in your face coach that makes Todd look like and angle. I will say that for a parent to sit in the stands and watch their kid get yelled at by a coach and not say anything is a very tough thing to do. Four years went by and my son survived, we love the coach because he meant well and taught my son some very good life lessons. I have nothing but respect for that coach and thank him every chance I get.

 

That's just me

 

It is difficult to watch your son get yelled at. My son played football for Tony Acito at CCH. Sometimes Tony wouldn't wait for my boy to get back to the sidelines. He'd meet him way out on the field to "inform" him of what he did wrong. My wife certainly didn't like it but when I explained that it's all about the message and that Tony also tells him when he does well then it's acceptable. My son will tell you that he got it then and gets it even more now.

It is difficult to watch your son get yelled at. My son played football for Tony Acito at CCH. Sometimes Tony wouldn't wait for my boy to get back to the sidelines. He'd meet him way out on the field to "inform" him of what he did wrong. My wife certainly didn't like it but when I explained that it's all about the message and that Tony also tells him when he does well then it's acceptable. My son will tell you that he got it then and gets it even more now.

 

Clyde, it is indeed difficult to see your kids get yelled at. But it is one thing to have your kid get yelled at in coarse of correction or discipline, it is another thing completely if the yelling is not in this context, or simply necessary to be heard. I have seen coaches yell at kids because of their discontent of being on the losing end of the scoreboard. When coaches yell at kids out of frustration, then that is not appropriate and necessitates intervention.

It is difficult to watch your son get yelled at. My son played football for Tony Acito at CCH. Sometimes Tony wouldn't wait for my boy to get back to the sidelines. He'd meet him way out on the field to "inform" him of what he did wrong. My wife certainly didn't like it but when I explained that it's all about the message and that Tony also tells him when he does well then it's acceptable. My son will tell you that he got it then and gets it even more now.

 

Clyde, I agree with you 1000%. Even though you know what your kid did wrong it is still tough.

Clyde, it is indeed difficult to see your kids get yelled at. But it is one thing to have your kid get yelled at in coarse of correction or discipline, it is another thing completely if the yelling is not in this context, or simply necessary to be heard. I have seen coaches yell at kids because of their discontent of being on the losing end of the scoreboard. When coaches yell at kids out of frustration, then that is not appropriate and necessitates intervention.

 

I agree with you as well jolmstead. That is not a good coach

  • Author

One of the key/interesting points to me in this story is the fact that the parent is IN the system.

 

Would a parent who does not work in the school system get the chance to go before the Board? Will the decision makers give it more consideration since she is a principal ie co-worker?

Clyde, it is indeed difficult to see your kids get yelled at. But it is one thing to have your kid get yelled at in coarse of correction or discipline, it is another thing completely if the yelling is not in this context, or simply necessary to be heard. I have seen coaches yell at kids because of their discontent of being on the losing end of the scoreboard. When coaches yell at kids out of frustration, then that is not appropriate and necessitates intervention.

 

On the TBS pre-game Jay Wright said he usually won't address team after a loss for fear that the emotion may get in the way.

I hope the principal stated his take on the situation before sending it to the board or I would say that it is weak administrating.

 

Regarding this parent/principal. Unfortunately in my experience, some of the most unreasonable people who absolutely feel entitled to many things are fellow educators. It is really sad, but educators often tear other educators to shreds.

One of the key/interesting points to me in this story is the fact that the parent is IN the system.

 

Would a parent who does not work in the school system get the chance to go before the Board? Will the decision makers give it more consideration since she is a principal ie co-worker?

 

If the Board heard the whole story, they will have serious doubts about the competency of the Principal and wonder why she is wasting their time with this. All the coaches presented their view of the situation and one of those coaches is also a co-worker as a teacher in the system. We have one co-worker telling one story and the other co-worker telling a different story which should make that a wash from the co-worker side of things. All the coaches are on one side and on the other side we have the principal/parent whose son quit the team, sent text messages threatening one of the coaches to team mates and has had another discipline issue at the school. I wonder if the board heard about the threatening texts? Add in the fact that the older son also quit the team and it is pretty clear that the principal/parent has vengence in mind. That is not the type of character I would want as a principal at my kid's school. If I am on the board, that is the question that goes through my mind ... do I want this person as a principal in my school system?

This is sad. Todd is a great coach and an important piece to Boone County success over the recent years as a jv coach and his development of players on his aau teams. Coaches need to be allowed to coach.

 

Ouf Family agrees 100%, you want your son to get good developing skills and basketball knowledge, send him to Todd, not a surgar coat issue man, you know where you stand as a persson and a player. He will get the best out of the player and if your not giving him the effort he is giving you , well your going to know it, and if a parent wants to confront him about their son, your going to hear the truth, no politics.

Todd can stand alone on his coaching record, especially at Boone and his Jv teams since he has been their coach. Thaman needs to quit trying to carry her son, let him earn his playing time, good lesson in life, mommy and daddy won't be there when your competing for a job in the real world to support your wife and family. Hope to not sound over the top, but this parents carring their son through spots up to the high school level then the son finds out what real competion is for playing time and caan't keep up, then parents decided to get on the coach for it is unacceptable.

Unfortunate that Todd is put in this spot because a Boone administrator decides to use what influence she thinks she has to hopefully find her son playing time next year. Do your principal job and let Todd do the job he was given to do by Boone County.

You have the right to move your son to any other Boone school because of your positon of working in th Boone system, better you do that than to hurt the Boone basketball team for the future for your own wants.

How about letting him star at the Camp Ernst Y...

This mom seems to have quite a few issues. I really hope all of this is getting back to her, maybe she will realize then what a "jackball" she is.

Probably because this shouldn't even be an issue. Mr.Raleigh knows that staff pretty well and has had to hear it from this certain family previously. The family just needs to face the fact that their lucky to be a part of the program after the way they have attacked this staff before. Like someone said in a previous post, 'this isn't rec ball". Todd Downs is one of the best coaches in this area whether people like him or not. He can get more out of a kid than most because he loves doing what he does. He's not going to sugar coat it and hold your hand, but he won't give up on a kid either. Someone commented about his in-gym behavior. Show me a coach that doesn't ride the refs. That's a coach that either doesn't know the game, care about the game or care about standing up for his team. I don't believe there is a parent/coaching issue at Boone, just one unhappy family that has a little power because of her position in the school system trying to make some noise. The BOE will probably laugh them out of the office.

 

Ummm...sorry, can't agree with the bolded part about getting on refs. I coach. I see bad calls/no calls. I question the refs at times and may show my displeasure...but I don't "ride" the officials and try to show them up. For one, it usually doesn't do you any favors, and two, I am also trying to set an example for the kids. A kid sees me constantly getting on refs, it makes my job much harder keeping the kids from doing the same thing, questioning calls, screaming at the refs, etc.

Does it seem odd that the BCHS team is made up of this coaches AAU team. Is this fair to kids not associated with the AAU team? I don't think its a level playing field and not fair to the kids. There should be no inside connections or favorites played when selecting your team. There's a lot of talent walking around BCHS that are not active due to these practices. I guess BCHS is OK with trying to win the 9th, but will never compete at the state level if this continues. I'm Just Saying.

Does it seem odd that the BCHS team is made up of this coaches AAU team. Is this fair to kids not associated with the AAU team? I don't think its a level playing field and not fair to the kids. There should be no inside connections or favorites played when selecting your team. There's a lot of talent walking around BCHS that are not active due to these practices. I guess BCHS is OK with trying to win the 9th' date=' but will never compete at the state level if this continues. I'm Just Saying.[/quote']

 

IMO, with the quality of the BC coaching staff, I find it hard to believe that they would let talent walk the hallways instead of being on the court.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.