Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Is There A Parent/Coach Issue at Boone County?

Featured Replies

I believe the entire coaching staff was named in the grievance. That means anything can happen.

 

Wow! So it is possible the Boone County BOE could terminate the entire basketball staff.

  • Replies 143
  • Views 29.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Varsity players: I know who these kids played for:

 

Aaron Floyd Played for me

 

Brenden Stanley Played for Moeves

 

Junior Stockwell Played for me

Varsity players: I know who these kids played for:

 

Aaron Floyd Played for me

 

Brenden Stanley Played for Moeves

 

Junior Stockwell Played for me

 

That is confusing to everyone including myself. Does that mean those three played for the organization alleged that is connected to the JV coach or something different? What I do know is all three of those players are sophomores.

That is confusing to everyone including myself. Does that mean those three played for the organization alleged that is connected to the JV coach or something different? What I do know is all three of those players are sophomores.

 

These three boys played in the same AAU organization but not for the Boone JV coach. They played for Dave Moeves and myself.

Ummm...sorry, can't agree with the bolded part about getting on refs. I coach. I see bad calls/no calls. I question the refs at times and may show my displeasure...but I don't "ride" the officials and try to show them up. For one, it usually doesn't do you any favors, and two, I am also trying to set an example for the kids. A kid sees me constantly getting on refs, it makes my job much harder keeping the kids from doing the same thing, questioning calls, screaming at the refs, etc.

 

I stand by my statement. There's no coach that can constantly ride a ref, because they then would not be able to coach their team. If a ref needs a wake-up bug put in his ear, I have no problem with coaches delivering it. As for setting examples, a coach must let players know that he as the coach has the authority to speak to the refs, not the players. Todd Downs has been around this game long enough to know when he needs to lay into a ref. Some of these refs are just too weak to hear it. When young players step into roles as coaches, they can choose for themselves how to approach officials and how often, and I bet their approach will come from their passion, knowledge and love of the game; NOT from inheritance from a previous coach. What's the benefits of a quiet passive coach compared to an outspoken coach that will make a young player a better person/athlete?

Does it seem odd that the BCHS team is made up of this coaches AAU team. Is this fair to kids not associated with the AAU team? I don't think its a level playing field and not fair to the kids. There should be no inside connections or favorites played when selecting your team. There's a lot of talent walking around BCHS that are not active due to these practices. I guess BCHS is OK with trying to win the 9th' date=' but will never compete at the state level if this continues. I'm Just Saying.[/quote']

You are way off base with that statement.

You are way off base with that statement.

 

I'm very surprised that this is the first time many of you guys are claiming that you've heard this. This coach has been linked to AAU for many years and where do you think these players are going to high school? Come on, open your eyes.

 

You are so blind to the truth, you don't even mention his own son as one of the players that he has coached. This isn't a bad thing, just an example of what I'm trying to get across. Look at your list of players Guru, I see at least 8-9 players linked to this coach prior to their BCHS playing days.

I'm very surprised that this is the first time many of you guys are claiming that you've heard this. This coach has been linked to AAU for many years and where do you think these players are going to high school? Come on, open your eyes.

 

You are so blind to the truth, you don't even mention his own son as one of the players that he has coached. This isn't a bad thing, just an example of what I'm trying to get across. Look at your list of players Guru, I see at least 8-9 players linked to this coach prior to their BCHS playing days.

 

If you include freshmen, obviously there will be more players because Downs did coach his son in AAU. It will still be way, way short of your 8-9 player number. The freshmen have nothing to do with Boone County JV/Varsity or the situation involved with Thamann. The freshman team has its own coach and its own practices completely separate from varsity.

 

You are focused on the AAU team. You need to make a connection and let us all know what point you are trying to make. No one else on here can seem to connect your dots so we need you to spell it out for us. How is it a factor in the situation with Thamann?

I'm very surprised that this is the first time many of you guys are claiming that you've heard this. This coach has been linked to AAU for many years and where do you think these players are going to high school? Come on, open your eyes.

 

You are so blind to the truth, you don't even mention his own son as one of the players that he has coached. This isn't a bad thing, just an example of what I'm trying to get across. Look at your list of players Guru, I see at least 8-9 players linked to this coach prior to their BCHS playing days.

This coach is in the basketball circuit period. There is no "LINK"! You apparently are not familiar with the area as well as others speaking the truth about your accusations. If you go to any high school, you will see that the players try to play for the same AAU team, it's no secret. No, not every player makes a high school team that maybe should, but I do know that Greg M puts talent, dedication to "High School team" through summer practice, and character at the top of his list for selecting kids, not AAU affiliation. Of course Todd is going to coach his own son, why not? You have struck a match with little flame, so let it burn out.

If you include freshmen, obviously there will be more players because Downs did coach his son in AAU. It will still be way, way short of your 8-9 player number. The freshmen have nothing to do with Boone County JV/Varsity or the situation involved with Thamann. The freshman team has its own coach and its own practices completely separate from varsity.

 

You are focused on the AAU team. You need to make a connection and let us all know what point you are trying to make. No one else on here can seem to connect your dots so we need you to spell it out for us. How is it a factor in the situation with Thamann?

You've made a great point! I bet we get no reply.

This coach is in the basketball circuit period. There is no "LINK"! You apparently are not familiar with the area as well as others speaking the truth about your accusations. If you go to any high school, you will see that the players try to play for the same AAU team, it's no secret. No, not every player makes a high school team that maybe should, but I do know that Greg M puts talent, dedication to "High School team" through summer practice, and character at the top of his list for selecting kids, not AAU affiliation. Of course Todd is going to coach his own son, why not? You have struck a match with little flame, so let it burn out.

 

Were the JV/Varsity players once freshman? What I'm saying is there are many AAU teams in this area, but it seems that BCHS is made up of just one, which are former players linked to this coach. Maybe this kid in question and his parents didn't think he received a fair shake when if came to whatever the issue was (making the team, playing time?).

 

As for you FanofMany33, this is my last post on this subject, as it has become a waste of time. Seems like some of us have tunnel vision.

Were the JV/Varsity players once freshman? What I'm saying is there are many AAU teams in this area, but it seems that BCHS is made up of just one, which are former players linked to this coach. Maybe this kid in question and his parents didn't think he received a fair shake when if came to whatever the issue was (making the team, playing time?).

 

As for you FanofMany33, this is my last post on this subject, as it has become a waste of time. Seems like some of us have tunnel vision.

 

The facts don't back this up. It has been clearly stated that there are only 3 JV/varsity players that played in the AAU program. None of those played for the coach in AAU. One of those players started varsity the whole season so he definitely had no connection with Thamann's playing time on JV. We see the point you are alleging. But the facts don't back it up. I agree with you, nothing more to discuss on the AAU allegation.

Were the JV/Varsity players once freshman? What I'm saying is there are many AAU teams in this area, but it seems that BCHS is made up of just one, which are former players linked to this coach. Maybe this kid in question and his parents didn't think he received a fair shake when if came to whatever the issue was (making the team, playing time?).

 

As for you FanofMany33, this is my last post on this subject, as it has become a waste of time. Seems like some of us have tunnel vision.

 

Like I posted earlier, I think all the issues began when the older son played for Downs, not the younger(still in high school). I think a grudge is held because of the older one being cut from the AAU team when the players got older.

I stand by my statement. There's no coach that can constantly ride a ref, because they then would not be able to coach their team. If a ref needs a wake-up bug put in his ear, I have no problem with coaches delivering it. As for setting examples, a coach must let players know that he as the coach has the authority to speak to the refs, not the players. Todd Downs has been around this game long enough to know when he needs to lay into a ref. Some of these refs are just too weak to hear it. When young players step into roles as coaches, they can choose for themselves how to approach officials and how often, and I bet their approach will come from their passion, knowledge and love of the game; NOT from inheritance from a previous coach. What's the benefits of a quiet passive coach compared to an outspoken coach that will make a young player a better person/athlete?

 

Still can't agree with you 33. It also seems you are equating not "riding" or getting on refs with being passive. For me, personally that couldn't be further from the truth, nothing passive about the way I coach and get involved in the game, but I chose to not "ride" officials the way I see some other coaches. And some seem to do it constantly as well, and like you said I don't even know how they coach the team they are so focused on every little thing the refs do...that I can agree with you on. Now, if I have a kid getting pushed around or the stripes are making obvious bad calls/no calls, or maybe we are getting some "home cooking", the refs will know about it. However I don't make it a habit.

 

As for setting an example for the players I still stand by that as well and I absolutely believe it has helped the kids I coach keep their cool and composure in situations where they easily could have lost it. Many kids today on the court want to question and complain about everything, and will if you let them get away with it, and I think in their mind it helps justify their actions/reactions if they see a coach doing the same thing during the game. Kind of like the parent telling the kid not to smoke while they have a 3 pack a day habit. Sends mixed messages. It works for me.

 

Oh, and by the way, I have never seen Coach Downs coach before so I don't know how he acts/reacts to refs from a personal standpoint. But, when you talk about riding and getting on officials, I have a general assumption of what that means to me personally. What I think it means could be totally different to how you view it, so it's no certianty that we are comparing apples to apples in this discussion, thats always a possibility.

Still can't agree with you 33. It also seems you are equating not "riding" or getting on refs with being passive. For me, personally that couldn't be further from the truth, nothing passive about the way I coach and get involved in the game, but I chose to not "ride" officials the way I see some other coaches. And some seem to do it constantly as well, and like you said I don't even know how they coach the team they are so focused on every little thing the refs do...that I can agree with you on. Now, if I have a kid getting pushed around or the stripes are making obvious bad calls/no calls, or maybe we are getting some "home cooking", the refs will know about it. However I don't make it a habit.

 

As for setting an example for the players I still stand by that as well and I absolutely believe it has helped the kids I coach keep their cool and composure in situations where they easily could have lost it. Many kids today on the court want to question and complain about everything, and will if you let them get away with it, and I think in their mind it helps justify their actions/reactions if they see a coach doing the same thing during the game. Kind of like the parent telling the kid not to smoke while they have a 3 pack a day habit. Sends mixed messages. It works for me.

 

Oh, and by the way, I have never seen Coach Downs coach before so I don't know how he acts/reacts to refs from a personal standpoint. But, when you talk about riding and getting on officials, I have a general assumption of what that means to me personally. What I think it means could be totally different to how you view it, so it's no certianty that we are comparing apples to apples in this discussion, thats always a possibility.

 

I understand what you're saying, and every coach has their method. A good coach will have many years of success and be respected by most in the community. And that is a perfect example of Coach Downs.

Bobby Knight, will ride a ref until the saddle falls off..............Good or Bad coach?

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.