Superbowl on Saturday?

75center

The Superbowl is far and away the most watched program in America each year. It would be the same on a Saturday. But you're kidding yourself if you think it would be the same draw on a Saturday. There is a reason that day is avoided for programming and other Pro Sports.

Now from a selfish standpoint sure it would be great. But crap is planned for Saturdays, more people will be out of the homes which is not the recipe for advertisers.

I love the superbowl outside of whats now referred to as 2nd/3rd round

of the NCAA tourny it's my favorite sporting event of the year. I've tried to explain

that the 2 days during the week of 2nd/3rd round should also be holidays.

If the networks would welcome it, the Superbowl would already be played on Saturdays.

I'm unaware that it's ever been proposed before. Maybe it has, but I'm not aware of it.

Regardless, I stand by the fact that the Super Bowl is big enough to overcome something so piddly as "Saturday night's low ratings." It's a big enough event that people will tune in.

The Superbowl is far and away the most watched program in America each year. It would be the same on a Saturday. But you're kidding yourself if you think it would be the same draw on a Saturday. There is a reason that day is avoided for programming and other Pro Sports.

Now from a selfish standpoint sure it would be great. But crap is planned for Saturdays, more people will be out of the homes which is not the recipe for advertisers.

People alter their plans for the Super Bowl, and they will do so if it's on a Saturday.

People alter their plans for the Super Bowl, and they will do so if it's on a Saturday.

But I think you are also discounting the pre-game shows and other things leading up to the Super Bowl that people make the whole afternoon an event, not just the 3.5 hour time slot of the game. I just know that youth sports, collegiate games, banquets, chores, going out for dinner, etc. are primarily reserved for Saturdays. I have no doubt people will make room for the game, but that would be about all. I also think a lot more people would go out to bars and take away television sets and the need for advertising would diminish.

But, you guys could be right. It is its own animal and could maybe transcend all of that.

I've always thought the Super Bowl being played on a Saturday would be much better. It's always tough when you go to or host a super Bowl party to get up for work the next morning. I know there are some purest who think Sunday is the only day that should ever have the SB but Saturday always made more sense. It's not like a day sooner would hurt the teams playing in the game, they already have 2 weeks between their last game and the super Bowl as it is, one day won't matter.

But I think you are also discounting the pre-game shows and other things leading up to the Super Bowl that people make the whole afternoon an event, not just the 3.5 hour time slot of the game. I just know that youth sports, collegiate games, banquets, chores, going out for dinner, etc. are primarily reserved for Saturdays. I have no doubt people will make room for the game, but that would be about all. I also think a lot more people would go out to bars and take away television sets and the need for advertising would diminish.

But, you guys could be right. It is its own animal and could maybe transcend all of that.

The lead up to the game itself, all the pre super bowl television is horrible in the first place. I don't think I watched anything leading up to the game except the 30 mins prior this year.

The commercials and what they pay to advertise for the SB won't suffer any, there will still be a ton of people watching the games wether it is at a bar or at home.

Saturday would be much better imo

All I know is people a lot smarter than us have never pushed to put the game on a Saturday. If those in charge of the networks, the NFL, and advertisers thought a Saturday would be better, I would assume it would be on a Saturday or at least more heavily investigated. Saturday's are avoided like the plague for television programming. And I would assume a host city would not want an event like that on a Saturday. I think more people would likely spend less time in said host city if it is on a Saturday.

Again, I am not saying I love Sunday evenings, but most of us are looking at it from the perspective of being football fans wanting to have a good time and having extra time to sleep the next day. And the game itself ends at what, 8:30 CST on average?

The NFL has always had a Sunday for the Super Bowl because of the higher number of TV viewers and it is a continuation of the NFL games on Sundays habit. Plus, I think correctly, the NFL is promoting the family aspect of viewing the Super Bowl .....not because they are family oriented maybe...........but they know that by starting the game at 6:30 EST on a Sunday kids in the 7 to 12 age bracket in the USA will see most or all of the game. Those kids become future hardcore NFL fans 10 years from now. Look at the outrage at baseball starting World Series games so late at night during the week and the fact that they have a generation of kids not seeing World Series games