No Dunking

I can't even guess how many high school games I've been to starting back in the early to mid 70s but I have NEVER seen a T called for dunking.

I have only seen 1 T before the game, and it happened when the scorekeeper put the wrong starting lineup in the official scorebook.

I have never seen a T for dunking in warmups, but I have seen the rim break before the game...

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it true that the refs have to be on the court or just where they can see you.

My understanding is if they can see it, they can 'T' it. I'm not an official, but I believe the wording of the rule says no dunking when officials "are present." If they're not standing on the court, they're probably in the wings on their way in, and I don't think refs are going to lurk behind a door or under the bleachers looking to nail kids for stuff like this. As long as the players can see that officials are present, I would think they could be subjects to T's. I've only seen players T'd up for dunking a couple of times in 20+ years, but it does happen.

Even if you touch the rim, the technical can be called. I was playing in a game years ago when a teammate ran up to the basket without a ball and jumped to snag the rim (I guess he thought he was cool). The refs called a technical for touching the rim. To me, it didn't seem to be too much of a safety issue, more of a "tauting" issue. The again, seeing a player grab the rim doesn't necessarily strike fear through my veins.

I can't even guess how many high school games I've been to starting back in the early to mid 70s but I have NEVER seen a T called for dunking.

I've never seen one called either. And I've seen refs walking out on the floor while the dunking was still going on.

Another technical that is never enforced is the 'fake charge' on a defensive player......falling before the offensive player even makes contact. I've seen that call made ONE time that I can remember, in the early 1980s, in a game at Jackson City.

Conner did break a backboard back in '91 or '92.

I believe it was Brennan Votel that did it at NCC a few years ago. The rim just snapped and it took about 30 minutes to replace. Add that to the fact that the JV game went into at least double OT and that's a long, fun-filled night of basketball. :D

I've never seen one called either. And I've seen refs walking out on the floor while the dunking was still going on.

Another technical that is never enforced is the 'fake charge' on a defensive player......falling before the offensive player even makes contact. I've seen that call made ONE time that I can remember, in the early 1980s, in a game at Jackson City.

I have never seen one called either anf they are players dunking all the time when the refs are out. I guess some refs inforce the rule and some don't. :confused:

If it were, the Magoffin County girls would be in real trouble. :lol:

Even if you touch the rim, the technical can be called. I was playing in a game years ago when a teammate ran up to the basket without a ball and jumped to snag the rim (I guess he thought he was cool). The refs called a technical for touching the rim. To me, it didn't seem to be too much of a safety issue, more of a "tauting" issue. The again, seeing a player grab the rim doesn't necessarily strike fear through my veins.

To me dunking pumps me up, team players, and the crowed up.