Why don't they just...

stickymitts

I don't know if Classes for other sports have ever been voted on in the form of a Proposition are exactly what the procedure is.

However, classification is not a cure-all for all the issues. Remember that one of the biggest complaints is that 5 of 8 teams playing in the football finals were private schools. If there are 4 classes of volleyball and Assumption/Mercy/ Sacred Heart/Notre Dame dominate 4A, Lex Cath wins 3A, St. Henry wins 2A, and NCC wins 1A I don't think that makes things all that better and could make things worse.

True that it could happen one year, however the total domination over years by Assumption/Mercy/Sacred Heart/ND in volleyball would be over considering only one of them could win a state title. Actually just like football, the other classes would be battles and IMO would very rarely be dominated by one small private school, ala football.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True that it could happen one year, however the total domination over years by Assumption/Mercy/Sacred Heart/ND in volleyball would be over considering only one of them could win a state title. Actually just like football, the other classes would be battles and IMO would very rarely be dominated by one small private school, ala football.

Maybe. But isn't that the football gripe. Trinity/St.X win 4A, LexCath/CovCath competitive in 3A, and no one is worried about 2A and 1A until a private school wins.

How many years before 4A public schools complain that the 4A private schools dominate more than they should in tennis, volleyball, cross-country, soccer, etc. How many 2A and 1A track, soccer, and cross-country titles does St, Henry or Brossart or NCC or the Holy Crosses win before small public schools say hold on something is not right?

Maybe. But isn't that the football gripe. Trinity/St.X win 4A, LexCath/CovCath competitive in 3A, and no one is worried about 2A and 1A until a private school wins.

How many years before 4A public schools complain that the 4A private schools dominate more than they should in tennis, volleyball, cross-country, soccer, etc. How many 2A and 1A track, soccer, and cross-country titles does St, Henry or Brossart or NCC or the Holy Crosses win before small public schools say hold on something is not right?

Anymore, I'm not 100% sure what the gripe is. What I'm trying to do is lessen the gripe from everyone to only the large schools. :D (At least for now)

O.K., while all these threads have been posted I have been breathing. I breathed and breathed and....... I almost passed out!! [ just funning you ] Just one correction, classes are not created by the number of schools that offer that sport. They are created by student enrollment. The school fits into a class by it's student numbers. Schools can apply to move up or down by verifying their enrollments. The schools can choose to offer whatever sports they feel they can [ or have to ] support. That is why some schools understand they will have to reach out a little farther to play or compete in something that schools close by do not offer. The recruitment and money and all other charges are symtoms of the problem, not THE problem. The public schools sense that the private are/can attract more "athletes" in all sports. So the school that has 500 students has to play the "private" that has 900-2000 students knowing they have selected their players from 35-50 tryouts against a possible 100-200, maybe more. The majority of coaches would have no gripes playing public or private in championship competition if their enrollment was closer to theirs. It would be "the best team win!". Class play at this point is the "spoon-full of sugar that will make the medicine go down". You swallow that other stuff, and you are going to wear that"I sucked a lemon look" for quite some time. I prefer the smile and handshake. There are reasons that certain people get put on those committees; most are programmed already. They are not going to see any light other than the carbide they are carrying.

O.K., while all these threads have been posted I have been breathing. I breathed and breathed and....... I almost passed out!! [ just funning you ] Just one correction, classes are not created by the number of schools that offer that sport. They are created by student enrollment. The school fits into a class by it's student numbers. Schools can apply to move up or down by verifying their enrollments. The schools can choose to offer whatever sports they feel they can [ or have to ] support. That is why some schools understand they will have to reach out a little farther to play or compete in something that schools close by do not offer. The recruitment and money and all other charges are symtoms of the problem, not THE problem. The public schools sense that the private are/can attract more "athletes" in all sports. So the school that has 500 students has to play the "private" that has 900-2000 students knowing they have selected their players from 35-50 tryouts against a possible 100-200, maybe more. The majority of coaches would have no gripes playing public or private in championship competition if their enrollment was closer to theirs. It would be "the best team win!". Class play at this point is the "spoon-full of sugar that will make the medicine go down". You swallow that other stuff, and you are going to wear that"I sucked a lemon look" for quite some time. I prefer the smile and handshake. There are reasons that certain people get put on those committees; most are programmed already. They are not going to see any light other than the carbide they are carrying.

The number of students determines what class the school is in each sport.

The number of classes inside the sport is determined by those in charge of the sports. Football has decided to have four classes and some coaches have proposed six. Track and Cross-country have three classes. A school that is AA is Track may not be AA in Football.

So class play helps all those public school teams in the same class as the "900-2000" privates how? And class play helps the (by your definition) public school with half as many kids trying out how?