Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Why don't they just...

Featured Replies

classify all sports? It seems that it is the only way to keep everyone playing against the competition that they should be playing against. In basketball they have conferences. A lot of the small schools consider winning the conference a really big deal for the simple fact that you are competing against schools of your size. To win the region would be a monumental task because of the size factor.

 

I don't agree with this but if you have to use a multiplier for private schools to make the public school advocates happy, so be it. A multiplier is a lot less ridiculous than some of the other things that have been suggested.

 

Is there a better solution? Shirley no one thinks this "feeder school" compromise is the solution?

 

Thoughts?

  • Replies 35
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Class system in all sports would and should make for parity but in playoffs/tournaments, but what would teams do during the regular season when they have to travel further distances to play teams in their same class.

 

It could also limit or eliminate local rivalries in Football, since scheduling possibly could not be worked out.

 

Excellent question and not sure of the compromise.

  • Author
Class system in all sports would and should make for parity but in playoffs/tournaments, but what would teams do during the regular season when they have to travel further distances to play teams in their same class.

 

It could also limit or eliminate local rivalries in Football, since scheduling possibly could not be worked out.

 

Excellent question and not sure of the compromise.

 

Why would the scheduling be any different? Football's already classified, nothing would change there. You'd have to classify per sport since a lot of schools have a lot of different sports. Playoffs and district and regional tournaments wouldn't have much more traveling involved. Yeah, you should probably play a district opponent at least once every year but there are a lot of teams that travel a really long way for regular season games, ie Newport.

Why would the scheduling be any different? Football's already classified, nothing would change there. You'd have to classify per sport since a lot of schools have a lot of different sports. Playoffs and district and regional tournaments wouldn't have much more traveling involved. Yeah, you should probably play a district opponent at least once every year but there are a lot of teams that travel a really long way for regular season games, ie Newport.
...my thinking here, is when teams start playing more Class size schools: for example in Baseball and Basketball AA would start scheduling more AA, to better prepare them for the upcoming season, they would have to drop local rivalry games or current teams in different classes, to get their schedule done and schools may want to return the favor in Football, since they aren't playing them in Basketball and Baseball now.

 

Just my thinking, down the road 2-3 years more traveling in all 3 major sports would result, with the other affecting schedules...since a lot of A.D.'s now, coach at least 1 of the major sports in some areas.

  • Author
...my thinking here, is when teams start playing more Class size schools: for example in Baseball and Basketball AA would start scheduling more AA, to better prepare them for the upcoming season, they would have to drop local rivalry games or current teams in different classes, to get their schedule done and schools may want to return the favor in Football, since they aren't playing them in Basketball and Baseball now.

 

Just my thinking, down the road 2-3 years more traveling in all 3 major sports would result, with the other affecting schedules...since a lot of A.D.'s now, coach at least 1 of the major sports in some areas.

 

Because we're talking about the same amount of schools, the size of districts shouldn't change much.(Depending on the # that's agreed upon for each classification) That still leaves plenty of scheduling time for other out of district/region teams, or rivalry games. In baseball and basketball that only would consist of 12 games at the very most and that's if it's a home/home series.

 

There MAY be some more travelling involved but nothing like transporting 60-100 kids across the state for some times 5 weeks in a row.(Football) IMO, it would be nothing like that.

$$$$$$$ and power of those supporters of the Sweet 16 for boys basketball.

 

If the KHSAA tried to classify boys basketball and basically doing away with the Sweet 16, I would EXPECT some legislature to file a bill to prevent them from doing that. Similar to the legislature action that forced the KHSAA to move from slowpitch softball to fastpitch.

  • Author
$$$$$$$ and power of those supporters of the Sweet 16 for boys basketball.

 

If the KHSAA tried to classify boys basketball and basically doing away with the Sweet 16, I would EXPECT some legislature to file a bill to prevent them from doing that. Similar to the legislature action that forced the KHSAA to move from slowpitch softball to fastpitch.

 

There has to be a way to run a Sweet 16 type of format just with separate championships. I've always said football would be the money maker in this state if they were to hold the last two rounds in the same location for all classes or even the last three rounds of one class in the same location. Teams are already traveling.

 

Take your 16 teams and put them into 4 semifinal and final games for each class.

 

***Something like that, I'm not 100% sure how. I refuse to research something that will be a waste of my time.

There has to be a way to run a Sweet 16 type of format just with separate championships. I've always said football would be the money maker in this state if they were to hold the last two rounds in the same location for all classes or even the last three rounds of one class in the same location. Teams are already traveling.

 

Take your 16 teams and put them into 4 semifinal and final games for each class.

 

***Something like that, I'm not 100% sure how. I refuse to research something that will be a waste of my time.

But you have changed tradition and that is extremely hard. Don't believe me add contemporary Christian music to your church service and see what comments you get.

  • Author
But you have changed tradition and that is extremely hard. Don't believe me add contemporary Christian music to your church service and see what comments you get.

 

In that case, all I can say is quit crying when you get thumped by a private school because IMHO, everything else is ridiculous.

 

Times have changed. This wasn't necessary twenty years ago so your analogy doesn't work with me. :p

 

**That's a collective "you", not necessarily you, lbbc.

In that case, all I can say is quit crying when you get thumped by a private school because IMHO, everything else is ridiculous.

 

Times have changed. This wasn't necessary twenty years ago so your analogy doesn't work with me. :p

 

**That's a collective "you", not necessarily you, lbbc.

I had already hit that quote button and then read the fine print. I agree.

 

I have stated that I would be intrigued about classification on a basis rather than # of pupils or private/public status.

 

I think the open enrollment is a HUGE issue and is trying to be dressed in the Compromise. Not sure if it is but they seem to be trying.

 

I believe Frances in her maternal wisdom hit the nail on the head. This will be a process that will involve many years of tweaking the system until we get something that works. I will be AMAZED if the first plan put into effect turns out to be the BEST plan.

There has to be a way to run a Sweet 16 type of format just with separate championships. I've always said football would be the money maker in this state if they were to hold the last two rounds in the same location for all classes or even the last three rounds of one class in the same location. Teams are already traveling.

 

Take your 16 teams and put them into 4 semifinal and final games for each class.

 

***Something like that, I'm not 100% sure how. I refuse to research something that will be a waste of my time.

 

 

SM, football is already a money maker for the KHSAA, generally making approx $400,000 per year. This past year was a little better than most;helped in part by the X vs. T game on Friday night and the A game being played Sat early evening.

 

Also, wanted to respond to LBBC's post in re open enrollment. I know it is an issue for you. But for the life of me, I can't understand your logic. You want to bind the kids to their home school. Rather than improving the school system to being one that people don't want to leave, you want to shackle them to the school, thus banning the school to a never ending history of mediocrity or worse (why worry about improving the school if the in-district students will never be permitted to leave?). People who oppose open enrollment in my opinion are basically admitting that their schools are inferior to other schools and that there is not the support or ability present to improve their schools. Competition between institutions is healthy in business and education. If a bunch of Pendlton Co. students are leaving the Pendleton County school system to go to Campbell Co. because Campbell County high school has a better science laboratory, better computers and offers a more challenging foreign language program, the answer is to not force Pendleton Co students to attend Pendleton Co high school; the answer is for the administrators at Pendleton Co. to convince the taxpayers in Pendleton Co to pay more taxes so they can put in a better science lab; better computers and offer more foreign language classes. Is that any easy task? Nope its not. But who said it was supposed to be easy? The justification that open enrollment hurts the community (which I don't necessarily agree with) just does not outweigh the right of parents to choose the best school for their kids nor the benefits of competition.

 

Furthermore, a ban on open enrollment really does not solve the weaker schools problems anyway. I logically assume that your concern with open enrollment is primarily focused on losing the BETTER students to neighboring school districts; and by "better" I mean those students that would have a positive effect on their home school district if they attended their home school district. My guess is that if open enrollment is banned, a large portion of those parents who were willing to transfer their kids, will just move to the desired school district anyway. Admittedly not all of the families will, but I think a large number of them will move. As a result, not only will the former school district still lose the student, they will also definitely lose the ADA money and, assuming the family was an asset to the community, the community will lose much more than just the student's participation in the community school. As it is currently with open enrollment, I believe there is a much better chance that after the student graduates from the other high school and hopefully college, he'll return to his home community if his family still resides there. Hopefully he'll then work to improve his home community's high school. If you ban open enrollment and in effect force his family to move out of your community, I would think the chances of the student coming back to your community to make it a better place to live, work and learn decrease dramatically. Just my thoughts on it and an insight as to how I look at life in general.

Now, we are seeing what just doesn't work in these early proposals. I see wisdom starting to kick in with a quiet understanding of what's going on instead of angry lashing out. I agree with the idea of several of you that creating classes in all sports will be the only ultimate solution that will eventually heal all the schools. Anything else and the problem will continue to fester and create much anger. The basketball continues to pop up as the blocking point. My question is,why?? They are not above the problem. They are a major component of it. The idea of bringing all the class championships together in a "SWEET SIXTEEN" sounds great. It accomplishes the class system and the preservation of the "SWEET SIXTEEN" for the purists.

  • Author

I still haven't heard a good reason to not classify all sports. If the "Tradition of the Sweet Sixteen" is the only problem we've got well, that's an absolute joke.IMO

I still haven't heard a good reason to not classify all sports. If the "Tradition of the Sweet Sixteen" is the only problem we've got well, that's an absolute joke.IMO

To tell you the truth I played at a small Class A school and I would hate to see basketball classified. I enjoy competing against the big schools.

 

CCH has beat us like 13 out of the last 14 times. But I was on the team for that one victory and boy was it sweet.

I still haven't heard a good reason to not classify all sports. If the "Tradition of the Sweet Sixteen" is the only problem we've got well, that's an absolute joke.IMO

It's all about the money. The KHSAA has no regards for the students just the bottom line. As always KY is bringing up the rear when it comes to changes. Ky the only state that still does not classify basekeball or baseball. Somebody needs to bring the governing organization kicking and screaming into the 21st century.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.