Magic Number is 32

statman

Today's update:

The Reds may have been off but the Magic Number never sleeps. More movement in the good direction with the Cards dropping their 3rd straight (maybe that Molina fella is kind of a big deal to them.) Alas, the loss was at the hands of the Nationals putting them a scant .002 percentage points ahead of the Reds for the best record in baseball. I hear you, “But Magic Number Watch, does the best record overall really mean anything besides bragging rights?” I’m glad you asked. Best record in baseball? No. That doesn’t get you anything besides a bold typeface on this list. However, the best record in your particular league does get you the number one seed and home field advantage throughout the playoffs. (The NL won home field in the WS with their win in the All Star Game. Thanks Melky!) However, however, after looking at that list of the best yearly record in baseball, I’m not entirely certain you want that mantle. After a quick perusal of the last 10 years I noticed only twice has the NL team with the best record made it to the World Series, and it’s not much better in the AL were only 4 out of 10 years did the best record make it to the WS. Moreover, only 3 of those 6 teams won the Series. So bottom line: Who gives a crap about the best record? The real question would be playoff opponents. (Hey, no Phillies this year!) The Standings:

Team, W, L, Gms Left, Magic/Tragic #

Reds, 80, 52, 30, 23

Cards, 71, 60, 31, 23

Bucs, 70, 60, 32, 23

Crew, 62, 68, 32, 15

Cubs, 50, 80, 32, 3

Astros, 40, 91, 31, -8

Today's Update:

Whew! A lot has happened since Friday. Joey Votto was going to rejoin the team in Houston, then he didn’t, then he was going to rejoin the team in Houston again, then he went to Louisville, then he didn’t wear high socks in Louisville, then he was supposed to be with the team on Monday, then he wasn’t, then he was activated on Tuesday, but didn’t play…why do they toy with my emotions! But today’s the day we’re told (it better be, I’m too fragile for this.) Tune in at 12:35pm to find out. Mike Leake v. Roy Halliday. (Surprisingly similar stats on the year – however Halliday has been coming on lately.) The Cardinals have been winning and I don’t even care. On the other hand, he Pirates have not been winning, and my former resentment of their lovable underdog national media darling status (see Orioles, Baltimore) has once again turned to sympathy for a fan base who hasn’t had a ----screw that! They’ve got the Steelers, let the Pirates suck! As for the Reds, Ryan Ludwick and Todd Frazier have cooled off, but Jay Bruce is hitting! He won yesterday’s game with a clutch (seriously, way clutch) 2 run blast that accounted for all the Reds runs. But with him, you’re always worried how long it will last and if it’s too soon (wouldn’t it be nice if he went on one of his crazy hot streaks during the post season and pretty much single handedly won a series or two?) I love...hate...love...hate...love ya Jay! Keep it up. Oh yeah, the Cubs were mathematically eliminated this weekend - could there be two teams in the same division with 100+ losses? The Standings:

Reds, 83, 54, 25, 18

Cards, 74, 62, 26, 18

Bucs, 71, 64, 27, 16

Crew, 66, 69, 27, 11

Cubs, 51, 84, 27, -4

Astros, 42, 94, 26, -14

Never mind. Just read back through the thread and realize the updates are coming from your brother. Kudos to him!

I'll let him know he's keeping you (and me) entertained. :thumb: I don't know that he needs any ego boosting at this point - after all, he's already an architect - but I'll make sure he knows his banter is being appreciated. :lol:

Today's Update:

Suppose I told you that the Reds pitching staff retired the final 19 Phillies in order, and that Joey Votto went 2 for 3 with a walk in his return to the lineup, and that Jay Bruce remained red hot with two doubles and another homerun in 4 trips to the plate, and that the team out hit the Phillies 10 to 7. What would you say? Probably something like, the Reds won that game and finally won a season series over the Phillies for the first time since 2003 – splitting the series in Philly 2 to 2 and taking 2 out of 3 on the return trip. Right? Well, assuming Mike Leake hadn’t crapped the proverbial bed first, you might be right. There’s little worse as a Reds fan than to settle into your desk chair with some mindless work, find that perfect slot on your radio at work were 700 WLW comes in crystal clear, ready yourself for the dulcet tones of Marty and Jeff calling a business man’s special, then promptly have the starter give up 6 runs and be chased from the game before he ever bats. That, and then proceed to have 3 of the top 6 hitters in your lineup (the 1, 4, and 6 holes) take an 0-fer. Dammit! On the bright side, the Mets took down the Cards by the same 6-2 score, so yesterday was not a complete Magic Number reducing failure. And lest we forget, the perfect tonic for what ails ya is checking into the Omni Netherland Plaza as you read this…the Houston Astros. The Standings:

Reds, 83, 55, 24, 17

Cards, 74, 63, 25, 17

Bucs, 72, 64, 26, 16

Crew, 67, 69, 26, 11

Cubs, 51, 85, 26, -5

Astros, 42, 95, 25, -15

Today's Update:

It’s a good thing the Colonels, Wildcats, and Irish all won (and Bengals didn’t have a chance to lose) otherwise it would have been a decidedly more melancholy sportmoshere (that’s sports atmosphere) here at the Magic Number Watch. The Reds’s, meanwhile, have gone into Colts mode. From 2001-2011 the Colts made the playoffs, and usually had the division wrapped up by St. Nick’s. Each year they’d shut down Manning, Edgerrin James, Bob Sanders, Dallas Clark and anyone else they deemed absolutely vital for a postseason run. I believe - right or wrong – Dusty’s gone into Colts mode. “Cozy, you got a sore back? Okay take a week. Scotty, you too. Stubby, you sit in the corner and think about what you’ve done.” You got half the team swinging absolutely out of their shoes all weekend – must’ve been thinking (like I did) this weekend was a great time to pad some stats. Hell, yesterday you got Cueto rolling out there with high socks for the first time in his career. Johnny, fashion test runs are for spring training, buddy, and also the Astros are the worst team in baseball, but you still have to do more than a 92 MPH fastball splitting the plate in half. The ‘edge’ is gone – only for now I hope. It was gone as soon as Didi Gregorrius was penciled into the lineup. Rest is one thing, but I for one think it’s a bit early for a victory lap(s). The Standings:

Reds, 84, 57, 21, 14

Cards, 75, 65, 22, 14

Bucs, 72, 67, 23, 12

Crew, 69, 71, 22, 8

Cubs, 54, 86, 22, -7

Astros, 44, 96, 22, -17

I wish Bernard Scott and Carlos Dunlap were healthy, it’d make me feel a lot better about tonight. BTW, don’t text me, I’ll be watching on DVR (which is the only way to watch football…or baseball…or basketball…or even the Olympics. I mean seriously, do you really want to see that Subway commercial again, or listen to what Dan Dierdorf has to say in between plays. I don’t need Rich Gannon or Steve Tasker or whomever reminding me that turnovers are a big detriment to your chances of winning…or that the ground can’t cause a fumble...or that the game is beginning to slow down for (player) here in his second full season…or that what impressed you most about (player) in your pregame interview on Thursday was his intensity…or that, as a coach, you can forgive the physical errors, but the mental ones are what you can’t forgive…or… )