Couch, Lorenzen and Towles

LRCW

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never saw Couch and the PT/JL debate isn't that easy. JLo was very athletic for a big QB but Towles seemed to be unstoppable with less talent surrounding him. That's not a knock against his offensive counterparts but Stegman, Hamblen and Smith were three of the best pass catchers this area has seen. When I saw PT last season running the ball against CCH he looked like a triple crown winner sprinting down the field. Lorenzen's arm strength was second to none but PT could also hoist the ball down the field with accuracy. I wish I could have seen Couch on the HS level but his colllege years showed me a guy that really thrived on short passes with tons of YAC. Many say he had a strong arm but did we ever really see it while in college or in the NFL?

I never saw Couch and the PT/JL debate isn't that easy. JLo was very athletic for a big QB but Towles seemed to be unstoppable with less talent surrounding him. That's not a knock against his offensive counterparts but Stegman, Hamblen and Smith were three of the best pass catchers this area has seen. When I saw PT last season running the ball against CCH he looked like a triple crown winner sprinting down the field. Lorenzen's arm strength was second to none but PT could also hoist the ball down the field with accuracy. I wish I could have seen Couch on the HS level but his colllege years showed me a guy that really thrived on short passes with tons of YAC. Many say he had a strong arm but did we ever really see it while in college or in the NFL?

So where would you rank them then?

How long did Couch last in the league? At this point in time we can ONLY base the discussion on HS. I feel as though Lorenzen and Couch were legends growing up but maybe they the same could be said for Towles I'm not 15 watching him play like I was the other two. I know Couch put up some sick #'s in HS as did Lorenzen but Towles put up some CRAZY #'s especially in big games. People may say well ya he had great #'s but a lot of them were rushing and that's true. It's also true that the QB's job is to read the defense and it seems as though he did a pretty darn good job of that. I'm giving Towles the HS edge because of his speed and athletic ability.

Also to add to what I said Neerfan mentione the fact that who Lorenzen was throwing the ball to were some of the best athletes to come through this area at that time. With that said it may show that Couch was the best, not sure what his surrounding team was like.

Lorenzen, PT then Couch.

I saw Lorenzen throw accurately 40 yrds off his back foot running th3 other way. Also saw the 300lber tuck and sprint up the middle 40 yrds at an unbelievable speed. His mechanics in HS weren't pretty but he got it done.

PT was the prototypical QB with his frame. He has a cannon as well and deceptive wheels. His numbers were very impressive and he didnt have the same type weapons JLO had so I would say its neck and neck with JLO seeking out the victory because of the aforementioned and also due to his uncanny size at the position.

Both will go down as the best 2 QB's to ever put on a Highlands uniform.

Lorenzen, PT then Couch.

I saw Lorenzen throw accurately 40 yrds off his back foot running th3 other way. Also saw the 300lber tuck and sprint up the middle 40 yrds at an unbelievable speed. His mechanics in HS weren't pretty but he got it done.

PT was the prototypical QB with his frame. He has a cannon as well and deceptive wheels. His numbers were very impressive and he didnt have the same type weapons JLO had so I would say its neck and neck with JLO seeking out the victory because of the aforementioned and also due to his uncanny size at the position.

Both will go down as the best 2 QB's to ever put on a Highlands uniform.

Obviously you didn't see Tim Couch play in high school....taking nothing away from the two you mentioned, but Couch was in a league of his own with not much help around him....put Couch at Highlands for 4 years, you would have seen some even sicker numbers!!!!!

Obviously you didn't see Tim Couch play in high school....taking nothing away from the two you mentioned, but Couch was in a league of his own with not much help around him....put Couch at Highlands for 4 years, you would have seen some even sicker numbers!!!!!

I've seen all three and I think Towles and Couch are pretty close but Lorenzen was out of this world. All one has to do is look at the state records that Lorenzen owns, which he did playing half the game in most cases.