3. Marie Kiefer JR Bishop Brossart

4. Mallory Holbrook SR Campbell

5. Zoe Strings JR Paris

6. Sofia Allen JR Scott

7. Jayln Jackson SR Campbell

8. Emma Taylor JR Mason Co

9. Tyra Flowers SO GRC

10. Brianna Byars FR GRC

I wouldn't sleep on Ava Coleman (FR) from SHS. By the end of her time, she's going to be a household name.

Igo could be ranked over Meredith from a seniority and "fit" view. But MM might be a top 10 player in the whole state.

Keifer (Brossart) is a great talent when surrounded by shooters. If Brossart doesn't boast a plethora of shooters, Keifer's stock could struggle.

Surprised to see Zoe Strings (Paris) posted above Jayln Jackson (Campbell) and Sofia Allen (Scott). Strings can play, don't get me wrong, but Jackson and Allen should both be top 10 players in the region IMO.

Overall, the team rankings look solid. I think Campbell could really surprise some folks. But this region seems like a 5 school race, AT MOST.

It’s been awhile since crosstown foe Bishop Brossart has started the season ranked ahead of the Lady Camels! IMO it’s wishful thinking. I know Campbell sustained a tough loss to close the season but the Lady Camels have a strong veteran group to lead the team this year. I’d have them ranked 3rd in the region to start and they have a decent chance to play spoiler and upset GRC or Scott this season. GRC lost too much and Scott is unproven. Keifer is a fine player but one dimensional. Tall and tough to stop near the basket. Brossart won’t have the shooters to take the pressure off enough this season IMO.

My ranks

GRC

Scott

Campbell

Bishop

Mason Co

Harrison Co

Bourbon Co

Paris

Calvary Christian

Nicholas Co

Meredith

Holbrook

Igo

Kiefer

Jackson

Allen

Byars

Taylor

Flowers

McLain Murphy Bourbon County

The Ladyhounds will surprise some teams this year...still only 2 Jrs 1 soph and 2 Freshman rounding out the starting 5. There aren't 9 players better than Zoe Strings in this region.

Haven’t gotten to see Strings play. Not sure why Paris isn’t ever on Camels schedule?

Who does she play for in the summer? At her age does she have offers? Most all the girls in the top 10 will play college ball, so I’m not convinced she’s there yet.

Last year around this time there was some discussion about whether Mya Meredith was a top player in the 10th. Up till then she really hadn’t proven or shown it against the top teams in the 10th and against real competition in the summer. Mya was the best player in the 10th last year IMO and I heard a lot about her amazing summer against top players in country.

If Strings wants to be a top player in the 10th she needs to show more against the top teams in the 10th. And she needs to play well against top competition in the summer and have offers from colleges to play. Till then she’s outside my top 10.

Edited by theguru
Rule 13

Haven’t gotten to see Strings play. Not sure why Paris isn’t ever on Camels schedule?

Who does she play for in the summer? At her age does she have offers? Most all the girls in the top 10 will play college ball, so I’m not convinced she’s there yet.

Last year around this time there was some discussion about whether Mya Meredith was a top player in the 10th. Up till then she really hadn’t proven or shown it against the top teams in the 10th and against real competition in the summer. Mya was the best player in the 10th last year IMO and I heard a lot about her amazing summer against top players in country.

If Strings wants to be a top player in the 10th she needs to show more against the top teams in the 10th. And she needs to play well against top competition in the summer and have offers from colleges to play. Till then she’s outside my top 10

Zoe Strings and this topic interests me. So I dug into what she did last year as a Sophomore (the same class as Mya Meredith, Scott).

I think Hydraman said it absolutely perfect. I coached for four seasons at a small school in NKY and had a handful of players who played with their hearts on their sleeve every game. They posted impressive numbers on a nightly basis. But when we're talking about the best 10 High School players in the region (out of roughly 250), you have to show it over and over again against the best. Now I coach with a larger HS in NKY and see the difference.

Like Hydraman, I haven't gotten to see Strings much outside of film. I know she can play. I don't think anyone is questioning that. She's not a scrub. But last year, when playing against the upper level in the 10th (teams that made the Regional), this is what she posted:

vs. Mason Co - 7 points, 1/9 FGs, 8 rebounds

vs. Bourbon Co - 15 points, 4/12 FGs, 7 rebounds

vs. Harrison Co - 17 points, 7/12 FGs, 12 rebounds (Very Nice Game!)

vs. GRC - 3 points, 0/5 FGs, 2 rebounds

vs. Nicholas Co - 14 points, 5/8 FGs, 9 rebounds (Again, Respectable!)

vs. GRC - 9 points, 3/10 FGs, 6 rebounds

vs. Nicholas Co - 8 points, 3/8 FGs, 12 rebounds

vs. Brossart - 9 points, 2/8 FGs, 2 rebounds

vs. Bourbon Co - 25 points, 11/15 FGs, 11 rebounds (Best of the year!!)

vs. Bourbon Co - 8 points, 3/9 FGs, 5 rebounds

AVERAGE: 11.5ppg, 39/96 FGs (40.6%), 7.4rpg

What these performances scream is, "very nice player at a small school." But at least to this point, they don't scream "top 10 player in the Region."

I think we'll all keep an eye on Strings and Coach Speaks' team this year!!

Zoe doesn't play summer ball, she doesn't plan to play on the next level, but should she be considered as one of the top players in the 10th Region to look out for, Yes. She has a 4.0 GPA and passed her ACT I hear in 7th grade and skipped a grade. She played summer ball the year before last with Central Ky Storm, and when they attended the Junior NBA Regional, to qualify to play against the world, she averaged 30pts per game. Paris is a unique team, because on any given night, any of the starting 5 could give you 20 and 10. I got to glimpse at them this summer against Harrison(beat by 40), Nicholas(beat by 25 twice) that are in the region and they didn't press once. However, it was only summer. Should be an interesting year.

Zoe doesn't play summer ball, she doesn't plan to play on the next level, but should she be considered as one of the top players in the 10th Region to look out for, Yes. She has a 4.0 GPA and passed her ACT I hear in 7th grade and skipped a grade. She played summer ball the year before last with Central Ky Storm, and when they attended the Junior NBA Regional, to qualify to play against the world, she averaged 30pts per game. Paris is a unique team, because on any given night, any of the starting 5 could give you 20 and 10. I got to glimpse at them this summer against Harrison(beat by 40), Nicholas(beat by 25 twice) that are in the region and they didn't press once. However, it was only summer. Should be an interesting year.

We'll definitely be keeping our eye out. And I suppose it's very possible that she'll turn into a top 10 talent. Just up to this point, her performances on the court during HS seasons haven't shown to be top 10 level. Again, she very well just might not have shown her full potential to the region. And she'll get her shot in just a couple short months here.

Zoe Strings and this topic interests me. So I dug into what she did last year as a Sophomore (the same class as Mya Meredith, Scott).

I think Hydraman said it absolutely perfect. I coached for four seasons at a small school in NKY and had a handful of players who played with their hearts on their sleeve every game. They posted impressive numbers on a nightly basis. But when we're talking about the best 10 High School players in the region (out of roughly 250), you have to show it over and over again against the best. Now I coach with a larger HS in NKY and see the difference.

Like Hydraman, I haven't gotten to see Strings much outside of film. I know she can play. I don't think anyone is questioning that. She's not a scrub. But last year, when playing against the upper level in the 10th (teams that made the Regional), this is what she posted:

vs. Mason Co - 7 points, 1/9 FGs, 8 rebounds

vs. Bourbon Co - 15 points, 4/12 FGs, 7 rebounds

vs. Harrison Co - 17 points, 7/12 FGs, 12 rebounds (Very Nice Game!)

vs. GRC - 3 points, 0/5 FGs, 2 rebounds

vs. Nicholas Co - 14 points, 5/8 FGs, 9 rebounds (Again, Respectable!)

vs. GRC - 9 points, 3/10 FGs, 6 rebounds

vs. Nicholas Co - 8 points, 3/8 FGs, 12 rebounds

vs. Brossart - 9 points, 2/8 FGs, 2 rebounds

vs. Bourbon Co - 25 points, 11/15 FGs, 11 rebounds (Best of the year!!)

vs. Bourbon Co - 8 points, 3/9 FGs, 5 rebounds

AVERAGE: 11.5ppg, 39/96 FGs (40.6%), 7.4rpg

What these performances scream is, "very nice player at a small school." But at least to this point, they don't scream "top 10 player in the Region."

I think we'll all keep an eye on Strings and Coach Speaks' team this year!!

Great information! I do think you’re being generous by using stats from Nicholas and Bourbon, two mid-level, decent, but not really top 10th region teams. If you take out those teams I think that gives a better picture of where she’s at relative to the top players.

I’m sure Paris will be decent this year. And I’m sure she’s the best player on the team. But I would find it highly unlikely, nearly impossible, for a girl that doesn’t even play in the summer to be a top 10 player in the region. There are probably 25-30 girls better if she’s only playing school ball at a small school like Paris.

Edited by theguru
Rule 13

Great information! I do think you’re being generous by using stats from Nicholas and Bourbon, two mid-level, decent, but not really top 10th region teams. If you take out those teams I think that gives a better picture of where she’s at relative to the top players.

I’m sure Paris will be decent this year. And I’m sure she’s the best player on the team. But I would find it highly unlikely, nearly impossible, for a girl that doesn’t even play in the summer to be a top 10 player in the region. There are probably 25-30 girls better if she’s only playing school ball at a small school like Paris

Again, very well said. I included NC and BC just to give a baseline of "Regional tourney teams." I'm sure she's a good player. Probably one that would start on just about any team in the region. But if she was at Scott or GRC or Campbell etc, she'd probably be outside the top 2-3 players on each team.

Zoe Strings definitely belongs in the top 10. Summer ball has absolutely nothing to do with this ranking. I think ranking is about right. I have seen all these girls play up close and Zoe belongs. If she was at GRC, she would be in there top 3. Most nights team are zeroed in on stopping Strings to beat Paris. That may be a different story this year with much improved players around her. You don't have to want to play at the next level to be top 10.

For all of you hating on Paris' Zoe Strings, obviously you haven't seen her play and furthermore, make sure you let the coaches know who voted her as the top vote getter on the 10th Region second team a year ago.

Playing summer ball doesn't make you an all-star or should allow you to be in any Top 10 player's list, and what difference does it make that she plays at a small school. You mean to tell me you have to be at a big school to shine. Strings plays other sports and is very excellent within the classroom, and she doesn't need to be at a 6A school or play on a summer team to be considered one of the best in the region. All Strings needs to do is perform for the Ladyhounds and she's done that and some.

The last time I checked, Bailey Cummins came from a small school and she left the program as one of the top players to ever play in this region when she played for Bracken County. And this list can go on and on for small school players within the 10th Region!

Heck, there have been 3 Miss Kentucky Basketball winners from the 10th Region and two came from small schools. In addition, Nicholas County won the overall KHSAA State Title, can any other big school in this region say that? Nope ...

And by the way ... Zoe Strings will start for any team in the 10th region ... if someone's team in the Region has five starters better than Zoe, well, they should win the region easy and contend for the state title! :no::thumb:

Edited by Option Right

For all of you hating on Paris' Zoe Strings, obviously you haven't seen her play and furthermore, make sure you let the coaches know who voted her as the top vote getter on the 10th Region second team a year ago.

Playing summer ball doesn't make you an all-star or should allow you to be in any Top 10 player's list, and what difference does it make that she plays at a small school. You mean to tell me you have to be at a big school to shine. Strings plays other sports and is very excellent within the classroom, and she doesn't need to be at a 6A school or play on a summer team to be considered one of the best in the region. All Strings needs to do is perform for the Ladyhounds and she's done that and some.

The last time I checked, Bailey Cummins came from a small school and she left the program as one of the top players to ever play in this region when she played for Bracken County. And this list can go on and on for small school players within the 10th Region!

Heck, there have been 3 Miss Kentucky Basketball winners from the 10th Region and two came from small schools. In addition, Nicholas County won the overall KHSAA State Title, can any other big school in this region say that? Nope ...

And by the way ... Zoe Strings will start for any team in the 10th region ... if someone's team in the Region has five starters better than Zoe, well, they should win the region easy and contend for the state title! :no::thumb:

Again, good feedback!! I love to hear the different perspectives of players in the 10th.

But I'm struggling to see this as an argument for Strings to be in the top 10 players in the 10th. No one is arguing that she can play. She can!! We all know she can. But to be one of the best 10 out of 250 high school players in a region is another class.

No, you don't have to be at a big school to shine. Small school players are standouts all the time and they deserve our respect. But you mentioned "Zoe Strings will start for any team in the 10th region." Well... there are several small schools' best players who would start at big high schools. And Zoe Strings might be one of them. But even if she would be the 4th best player at GRC... she still wouldn't be top 10 in the region.

Again, I'll reiterate... Zoe Strings is a very impressive basketball player. But in order to be an elite player in the region, you have to be elite against the elite. And her numbers haven't yet shown that. I'll be the first in line to acknowledge her in group when I see it. I'm not routing against her.

I'm just calling it how I see it.