Cats Pause 10th region top players and teams

Zoe Strings definitely belongs in the top 10. Summer ball has absolutely nothing to do with this ranking. I think ranking is about right. I have seen all these girls play up close and Zoe belongs. If she was at GRC, she would be in there top 3. Most nights team are zeroed in on stopping Strings to beat Paris. That may be a different story this year with much improved players around her. You don't have to want to play at the next level to be top 10.

To ge fair I haven’t seen her play other than video now.

And as mentioned By others her lack of exposure to bigger schools and in the summer do matter when ranking the top 10 players in a region. How can you be confident she belongs if she’s never gone against the better players of the region? Just your “eyeball” test? That seems unreasonable. To say she is better than the Byars girl or Flowers and is top 3 at GRC without seeing her play them seems silly.

It DOES matter that a girl plays at a small school because they can put up stats that other players cannot. Whitney Creech scores more points than any player in KY history (and one of the top scorers EVER in the whole US), yet didn’t win Miss Basketball and is not even making an impact at a non-power 5 school WKU. So who Strings plays against does matter.

Of course any team they play will “try to stop her” because she’s their best player, so that argument means nothing. Especially if the team trying to stop her are players from Pikeville, Augusta and Model. Against GRC she averaged 6 pts, 4 rebounds and was 3/15 FG in two games. And she’s the 5th best player in the region?

Being a top vote getter for 2nd team? What does that mean? She was 6th in voting you mean? She will stand out against 11 of the 17 schools in our region and all those 11 small schools are happy to vote for her.

The reference to her not playing summers or college is obvious. The other players in the region that do play year round will get better exponentially faster than Strings. Strings won’t improve by not playing. And college offers represents the talent evaluators (college coaches) that get paid up to hundreds of thousands of dollars to evaluate the girls. If she is good regardless of her intentions they will offer and pursue. Which they of course haven’t because she’s not that good. Players like Allen, Byars, Jackson and Taylor are having interest or offers from colleges and that does matter because it tells you and me (people who are just armchair evaluators) who the experts think is good.

And the other posters reference to the other small school Miss basketball winners makes my point. All those young ladies played in the summer and had offers. They also won games against big schools and averaged more than 6 pts a game against good teams

Edited by hydraman
Spelling

To ge fair I haven’t seen her play other than video now.

And as mentioned By others her lack of exposure to bigger schools and in the summer do matter when ranking the top 10 players in a region. How can you be confident she belongs if she’s never gone against the better players of the region? Just your “eyeball” test? That seems unreasonable. To say she is better than the Byars girl or Flowers and is top 3 at GRC without seeing her play them seems silly.

It DOES matter that a girl plays at a small school because they can put up stats that other players cannot. Whitney Creech scores more points than any player in KY history (and one of the top scorers EVER in the whole US), yet didn’t win Miss Basketball and is not even making an impact at a non-power 5 school WKU. So who Strings plays against does matter.

Of course any team they play will “try to stop her” because she’s their best player, so that argument means nothing. Especially if the team trying to stop her are players from Pikeville, Augusta and Model. Against GRC she averaged 6 pts, 4 rebounds and was 3/15 FG in two games. And she’s the 5th best player in the region?

Being a top vote getter for 2nd team? What does that mean? She was 6th in voting you mean? She will stand out against 11 of the 17 schools in our region and all those 11 small schools are happy to vote for her.

The reference to her not playing summers or college is obvious. The other players in the region that do play year round will get better exponentially faster than Strings. Strings won’t improve by not playing. And college offers represents the talent evaluators (college coaches) that get paid up to hundreds of thousands of dollars to evaluate the girls. If she is good regardless of her intentions they will offer and pursue. Which they of course haven’t because she’s not that good. Players like Allen, Byars, Jackson and Taylor are having interest or offers from colleges and that does matter because it tells you and me (people who are just armchair evaluators) who the experts think is good.

And the other posters reference to the other small school Miss basketball winners makes my point. All those young ladies played in the summer and had offers. They also won games against big schools and averaged more than 6 pts a game against good teams

Whitney Creech is on pace to finish top 10 in career assists at WKU. She has started 60 games at the Point Guard position the last 2 seasons. She is team captain this coming 2019/20 season at WKU.

To say "she's never made an impact" is incorrect.

I'll say one thing... this thread has DEFINITELY increased people's awareness of Zoe Strings and it DEFINITELY will have people paying more attention than they would have. As show on the first page, I certainly don't have her in my top 10 and I wouldn't have given her much of a thought... but now I'll at least be paying close attention to her come December. And that's part of what's make these forums helpful...

You have made good points why summer AAU may matter and but not much about the small school thing. I have seen Zoe at summer camps and she works out in the summer. No summer games may hurt as far as exposure. But I have coach against GRC and Paris. So I have seen them all play. Zoe belongs in top ten easy. This ranking was done with much input from the coaches in the region.

Whitney Creech is on pace to finish top 10 in career assists at WKU. She has started 60 games at the Point Guard position the last 2 seasons. She is team captain this coming 2019/20 season at WKU.

To say "she's never made an impact" is incorrect.

Guess depends on how you define impact.

Creech has played three seasons now, headed into senior year. Her career averages - 5.7 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 2.3 app. Starts at PG for an average non power 5 team. Last season she was 2 for 10 from 3 pt for the whole season. 2 for 10. After all the hype about her scoring she clearly is not allowed by her coach to shoot the ball. What else is she going to do besides get assists. Being a starter and a passer only (and average at that too, 2.3 apg) for an average non power 5 team is “not making an impact” in my opinion. Especially after all the hype coming out of the mountain areas about her, people actually think she deserved Miss Basketball over Boley.

Boley starts for the number one, best team, the whole country. She has gotten to play in a final four.

12.4 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 1.1 apg. 108/251 three point shooting.

43% 3pt shooter.

Best team in country.

That’s impact

Edited by hydraman
Spelling

Guess depends on how you define impact.

Creech has played three seasons now, headed into senior year. Her career averages - 5.7 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 2.3 app. Starts at PG for an average non power 5 team. Last season she was 2 for 10 from 3 pt for the whole season. 2 for 10. After all the hype about her scoring she clearly is not allowed by her coach to shoot the ball. What else is she going to do besides get assists. Being a starter and a passer only (and average at that too, 2.3 apg) for an average non power 5 team is “not making an impact” in my opinion. Especially after all the hype coming out of the mountain areas about her, people actually think she deserved Miss Basketball over Boley.

Boley starts for the number one, best team, the whole country. She has gotten to play in a final four.

12.4 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 1.1 apg. 108/251 three point shooting.

43% 3pt shooter.

Best team in country.

That’s impact

Guess you have something against Creech.

Anywho, who is the 37th district favorite in your opinion?

• 2 weeks later...

This thread is very interesting.....I see people speak about college looks....if you have an official offer....then you are on that level, some of the kids you name in this thread have NOT received any official offers, but a FEW have. Looks mean nothing, I know for a fact that 3 out of Paris' five starters that DO play summer ball have had multiple D1 interests since the summer ended, so I guess we will see how this years season goes.

People are sleeping on Montgomery county. They had a young team that was competitive last season. A lot of good 8th graders who are talented and played valuable varsity minutes. I know new coach but I think they will surprise teams. Good guard play and chemistry. Those girls played AAU together and are up and coming!

People are sleeping on Montgomery county. They had a young team that was competitive last season. A lot of good 8th graders who are talented and played valuable varsity minutes. I know new coach but I think they will surprise teams. Good guard play and chemistry. Those girls played AAU together and are up and coming!

I agree they could surprise someone but they are still so, so young. They only have two girls above the 9th grade (one SR and one JR).

I think they’ll be better than people think this year but are probably a bit away from really making noise.