Josh Gordon to Miss Beginning of Camp

It was announced that Josh Gordon will miss the beginning of camp due to focus on his treatment plan. He expects to back before the start of the season. Reports say he has NOT violated the league substance abuse policy. There is no indication that he tested positive for any banned substances.

All reports are all short on details. For now, the exact reasons for this are ambiguous at best. Hopefully he stays clean.

Here's a link to the story Browns' Josh Gordon will miss the start of camp to focus on recovery and NFL says there's 'no timetable for his return' | cleveland.com

This cannot be good IMO...

If he has violated the NFL policy, then I don't see how this is bad. Imo this is a good sign for him. In the past he probably would give in to the temptation to do something, hence why he kept being suspended. This time rather than give in to temptation he realized what was going on and checked himself in on his own. I dont see that as a bad thing. I see it as someone who is still fighting it, but is now at least taking better steps in the right direction this time.

If he has violated the NFL policy, then I don't see how this is bad. Imo this is a good sign for him. In the past he probably would give in to the temptation to do something, hence why he kept being suspended. This time rather than give in to temptation he realized what was going on and checked himself in on his own. I dont see that as a bad thing. I see it as someone who is still fighting it, but is now at least taking better steps in the right direction this time.

Obviously from the human side - the most important - it is good if he's getting treatment. But if you are Browns' fan and management, knowing your best player is potentially out even longer has to be troubling.

Edited by bugatti

I read a report that said this current episode is related to dealing with anxiety. In the past, he probably self-medicates. So as pointed out above, this is a healthier response by Gordon. I really do hope he gets clean for his own sake even if he never plays another down of football.

Tony Grossi of ESPN Cleveland said he contacted a League source who said there is "no suspension." That sounds positive. But the source also said something like, "We'll address this situation later. There is no timetable." Whatever that means, it doesn't sound as positive as the prior statement.

Again, from a football perspective, this leaves Cleveland with a #1 receiver who plays in the slot -- Jarvis Landry. They have unproven guys on the outside. Somebody may step up, but that is a far cry from having one of the most dynamic wideouts in the NFL on your roster. Gordon says he will be back before the season gets underway. As a Browns fan, he hasn't played much since his first two seasons so this is not new

But please, Josh, for your own sake, and for your children, do whatever you have to do to get clean and stay clean. That is paramount!

Thank God I have never experienced anything like drug addiction so what do I know...but it seems to me that the best place for him to be is on the field and in the locker room with the guys to keep him busy and his mind off of things. Also, if I was Cleveland, I would probably pay someone to basically live with him 24/7 to keep an eye on him. I hope he can overcome this but the odds are against him and I just don't think this is a good sign at all...I hope I am wrong.

• 4 weeks later...

Josh Gordon has returned to the Browns training camp. They will need to clear a roster spot for him but he is able to be "in the building" and participate in team meetings etc. Gordon said he will continue to make "sobriety and his mental well-being" his #1 priority."

Good for him. I sincerely hope he achieves this. If he plays football again that will merely be "the icing on the cake."

Josh Gordon has returned to the Browns training camp. They will need to clear a roster spot for him but he is able to be "in the building" and participate in team meetings etc. Gordon said he will continue to make "sobriety and his mental well-being" his #1 priority."

Good for him. I sincerely hope he achieves this. If he plays football again that will merely be "the icing on the cake."

I saw someone on twitter say that the Browns being on Hard Knocks may have been part of the reason why he missed the beginning of camp. I hope he can continue down the right path of getting his life in order.