BGP Category 4 Severe Weather Alert Day

nWo

The severe weather threat has increased since last night. The very latest just released by the Storm Prediction Center at 2 am EDT now has parts of Kentucky in a category 4 Moderate Risk Area for severe storms later today. This area is from just east of Paducah and includes Madisonville, Owensboro, Louisville, Bowling Green to just west of Frankfort. Parts of the Land between the Lakes, Southern Indiana and Central Tennesse are included. The rest of Western Kentucky and those along the I-75 corridor are in a category 3 Enhanced Risk Area. The cities included in this area are Paducah, Covington, Frankfort, Lexington, Winchester, Richmond, Somerset. A strip of Eastern Kentucky is in a Slight Risk Area. Cities included in this are Maysville, Morehead, Jackson, Hazard, Manchester. East of that area is in a Marginal Risk area. Cities in this area include Paintsville, Prestonsburg, Pikeville.

KY_swody1.png

Here's a reminder of each category

severe-weather-definitions.jpg

There look to be several possible rounds of storms for today. The main event looks to be late this afternoon into the evening hours. After the initial rounds early today these should clear out and allowed the conditions to be conducive for the main round of severe weather to develop. This should start occurring around the 4-5 pm EDT time slot and then continue into the evening hours.

All of the following maps are from 11 am to 11 pm EDT today.

Radar

radar.gif

EHI

ehi.gif

Supercell

supercell.gif

Significant Tornado

stp.gif

I'm sorry I don't have more time but I have to leave for work in about 10 minutes. Going in early to try and get home early this afternoon. Everyone should be weather vigilant later today and go over your emergency action plan before any severe weather hits your area.

I will be posting updates throughout the day when possible through our Twitter page. As soon as I can after I get off work I will post an update.

What is your best forecast for NKY tonight?

Look for multiple rounds of strong to severe storms in NKY into the nighttime hours. May clear out around 11 pm or so. All threats are on the table. A severe weather watch may be issued soon.

From the National Weather Service Office-Louisville.

Severe Weather Hazards Risks from now till midnight

Hail-Very High

Damaging Winds-High

Tornado-Medium

Flooding-low to Medium

Numerous thunderstorms

Large Hail up to 2+ inches

Wind Gusts 60-70 mph

A few tornadoes

Frequent lightning.

When I saw the velocity couplet a little while ago on the cell in Harrison Co., Indiana I was concerned... Now the reports coming in validate those concerns.

I posted a picture of the tornado in the tornado watch thread.