2018 USL Kickoff

Getslow

Well with this miserable season of basketball mercifully behind me, I’m ready for some soccer. USL gets rolling this week with plenty of local interest.

Season kicks off Friday night at 8:30 with Saint Louis FC traveling way down to South Texas to play Rio Grande Valley FC.

Saturday is a big one with Louisville City FC hosting new (and temporary) member Nashville SC at 3:00 pm at Slugger Field. FC Cincinnati will travel to South Carolina the same night to play Charleston Battery.

So who has predictions for this season? Expectations? Surprises?

I don’t know squat about the West, but I’m calling the top four in the East like this:

1) Tampa Bay Rowdies

2) Louisville City FC

3) Nashville SC

4) FC Cincinnati

Lots of money spent by three of those four squads but last year taught me not to doubt what Louisville’s manager, James O’Connor, can do with a small roster and limited funds for new signings. Louisville’s recent signing of veteran defender and Jamaica international Shaun Francis helps shore that up.

Tampa was close last year and spent plenty of money on new players and, as far as I’m concerned, spent it really well.

North Carolina FC and Indy XI could also challenge for those top for spots and a first-round playoff game.

Solid opening weekend.

Louisville’s defense started the season by putting up a bagel, beating Nashville SC 2-0 on goals by Luke Spencer and Niall McCabe. Nashville should be pretty good but they’ve got a ways to go yet. Return trip south in only about 6 weeks.

Louisville’s field is a complete nightmare for what it’s worth. The combination of the extended cold and all the rain means that the Bermuda grass at Slugger won’t grow and it was a patchy mess.

I can’t wait to be out of that place.

FC Cincinnati was the only other Eastern Conference team to post a shutout in a 1-0 won at Charleston. Not the same Charleston team as last year I don’t think but a likely playoff team nonetheless. Good road win.

Solid opening weekend.

Louisville’s defense started the season by putting up a bagel, beating Nashville SC 2-0 on goals by Luke Spencer and Niall McCabe. Nashville should be pretty good but they’ve got a ways to go yet. Return trip south in only about 6 weeks.

Louisville’s field is a complete nightmare for what it’s worth. The combination of the extended cold and all the rain means that the Bermuda grass at Slugger won’t grow and it was a patchy mess.

I can’t wait to be out of that place.

FC Cincinnati was the only other Eastern Conference team to post a shutout in a 1-0 won at Charleston. Not the same Charleston team as last year I don’t think but a likely playoff team nonetheless. Good road win.

The Rowdies are off to a good start, beating North Carolina, 3-1, in Cary.

The Rowdies are off to a good start, beating North Carolina, 3-1, in Cary.

They really struggled away from home last year. They were my preseason pick to win the league and that game makes me feel pretty justified in that selection.