Dick Enberg has passed away

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite Dick Enberg story...and one of my favorite broadcasting stories....

Al McGuire had just retired from coaching after leading Marquette to the 1977 National Championship...and was in his first year as colorman on college broadcasts with Dick Enberg doing play-by-play.

I was watching in mid-season when one team was just dismantling the other. As they got ready for the second half, McGuire mentioned a couple of things that the trailing team would have to do to get back in the game.

After about five minutes, it became apparent this was going to be a v-e-r-y one-sided game. At a slight pause in the action Coach said, "Well...what do we do now?"

With an obvious smile in his voice, Enberg said, "This is where you earn your money."

Anyone who has done play-by-play has had to "earn his money" a few times.

My favorite Dick Enberg story...and one of my favorite broadcasting stories....

Al McGuire had just retired from coaching after leading Marquette to the 1977 National Championship...and was in his first year as colorman on college broadcasts with Dick Enberg doing play-by-play.

I was watching in mid-season when one team was just dismantling the other. As they got ready for the second half, McGuire mentioned a couple of things that the trailing team would have to do to get back in the game.

After about five minutes, it became apparent this was going to be a v-e-r-y one-sided game. At a slight pause in the action Coach said, "Well...what do we do now?"

With an obvious smile in his voice, Enberg said, "This is where you earn your money."

Anyone who has done play-by-play has had to "earn his money" a few times.

And that's probably when Al launched into one of his classic stories.