What in the Hell is Hominy???

Science Friction

My dad likes it a lot; I think it smells like dirty feet.

Please tell me that Oldog75 is the only person on here who likes... uh, ... whatever the hell hominy is.

I will eat most anything and I will TRY to like most anything. And I DO LIKE most foods. But hominy? Hominy? Are you kidding me?

I want peace but not hominy in my life. What about you?

What the hell is this.jpg

I think it’s made from dried corn kernels and treated with lye and other ingredients. I’ve eaten it for years. Occasionally I’ll open up a can and eat the entire contents straight out of the can.

But I’m a mountain fellow who has also tried a lot of unconventional food that some of my relatives have contrived over the years, even souse from a hog’s head (but wasn’t too fond of it). My late dad once commented that he had tried every wild meat in the hills, even tried skunk but it gave him bad breath oder and crimped his style in his young courting days, lol.

I think it’s made from dried corn kernels and treated with lye and other ingredients. I’ve eaten it for years. Occasionally I’ll open up a can and eat the entire contents straight out of the can.

But I’m a mountain fellow who has also tried a lot of unconventional food that some of my relatives have contrived over the years, even souse from a hog’s head (but wasn’t too fond of it). My late dad once commented that he had tried every wild meat in the hills, even tried skunk but it gave him bad breath oder and crimped his style in his young courting days, lol.

I'm really sick now. Thanks. :)

About a year ago I saw a marked down can sitting on the cheap-o rack at Kroger for 39 cents, and while having heard of it, I didn't really know much about it other than it being corn, so I thought "What the hell, let's give it a whirl".

After getting it home, and upon future inspection of its ingredients (should have done that before buying it) I saw the word "lye" which instantly rendered it unappetizing to me.

I vaguely recall my Mom having some lye household product that I can't even say what for, but if it's something that she used around the house then what the hell is it doing in food?

The only other thing that I've ever heard of before that's soaked in lye is Lutefisk, which is a Scandinavian dish of air-dried white fish soaked in lye that creates its gelatinous texture.

Never had it, but the idea of it has always turned my stomach. :puke:

I'm more inclined to reach for the Scandinavians' other delicacy of Lefse, which is a harmless potato flatbread that they like to put butter and cranberry sauce on. No problem there as I can eat a ton of that.

Anyhow I thought that I'd be daring and nuke some of this Hominy up in the microwave and just go for it as... "Hey it's sold as food, so maybe it's something that I've been missing out on all these years, and I'll be excited to have found this new amazing discovery".

One bite....NOPE. :puke:

About a year ago I saw a marked down can sitting on the cheap-o rack at Kroger for 39 cents, and while having heard of it, I didn't really know much about it other than it being corn, so I thought "What the hell, let's give it a whirl".

After getting it home, and upon future inspection of its ingredients (should have done that before buying it) I saw the word "lye" which instantly rendered it unappetizing to me.

I vaguely recall my Mom having some lye household product that I can't even say what for, but if it's something that she used around the house then what the hell is it doing in food?

The only other thing that I've ever heard of before that's soaked in lye is Lutefisk, which is a Scandinavian dish of air-dried white fish soaked in lye that creates its gelatinous texture.

I'm more inclined to reach for the Scandinavians' other delicacy of Lefse, which is a harmless potato flatbread that they like to put butter and cranberry sauce on. No problem there as I can eat a ton of that.

Anyhow I thought that I'd be daring and nuke some of this Hominy up in the microwave and just go for it as... "Hey it's sold as food, so maybe it's something that I've been missing out on all these years, and I'll be excited to have found this new amazing discovery".

I saw what you did there.

Don't nuke it. Drain it then fry it in butter.

Edited by OlDog75