#3 Mayfield vs. Owensboro Catholic (2A Quarterfinal)

DevilMayCare

Who gets the win?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Who gets the win?

• Mayfield Cardinals
    • Owensboro Catholic Aces

This is the regional final match-up that we all anticipated, but these two teams took slightly different paths to get here. Mayfield (11-1) has looked every bit like a 2A championship contender, falling only to 3A contender Corbin in a nail biter. Owensboro Catholic (8-4), on the other hand, was one of 2A’s biggest disappointments early in the season before righting the ship in district play.

The Cards have beaten the Aces for the regional championship the last two years.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This won't be a blowout, imo.. I think it'll be competitive throughout.. I do think Mayfield being at home helps them, but, a 2 hr bus ride by OBC won't hurt them any, just a vocal crowd and familiar territory for the Cards .. I'm thinking the score will be closer to 35-21 Mayfield.

Help me understand the MF wins big chatter. Didn't OCath give a very good South Warren team all they wanted a few weeks back? OCath has a great coach and run a great system. Their defense is playing extremely well and they have the ability to throw it around which has given MF problems at times this season. This looks to be a very competitive contest to me. What am I missing?

Help me understand the MF wins big chatter. Didn't OCath give a very good South Warren team all they wanted a few weeks back? OCath has a great coach and run a great system. Their defense is playing extremely well and they have the ability to throw it around which has given MF problems at times this season. This looks to be a very competitive contest to me. What am I missing?

You make a very valid point. As fans we all base our predictions on a variety of things, actually seeing an opponent, comparison opponents ( flawed), films and etc. playoff time you can usually throw most all that out the window, and momentum also comes into play as well as injuries, so, it's ALL a crapshoot, predictions that is. I'm just a country boy fan and my reasons fora prediction are about as valid as the ground hog seeing his shadow. But here goes anyway. I think mayfield is 28 points better than Christian county, I base that on actually watching them, howbeit only 1 game, AND Comparison scores ( flawed).

CC beat hoptown -3

MHS beat hoptown 29

CC beat Caldwell -17

MHS beat Caldwell-31

CC beat PT -10

MHS beat PT-33

CC beat graves ( OT) -7

MHS beat Graves -14

So I threw that vegetable soup together and just dice trowed a couple dice and come up with MHS IS 28 points better than Christian County. So then, SOUTH WARREN only beat CHRISTIAN COUNTY 18, so the ( ask the 8 ball) toy says Mayfield is 10 points better than South Warren, who beat OC by 5 which means Mayfield is 15 points better than OC, throw in home advantage, the War Memorial mystique, and I come up with a 21 point MHS victory! Now surely you can see how valid that system was. ;) LOL, who knows , OC is gonna come in here mad, hungry, and focused, so then, what I have to figure is,,,,,, :)

I'm hoping this one will be a competitive game. OC has played well down the stretch but still not sure how healthy they are. I know most people will look at their record and scratch their head but this is a young team that has fought through some injuries and adversity of their QB quitting this year. I hope they come to play this Friday!

I'm hoping this one will be a competitive game. OC has played well down the stretch but still not sure how healthy they are. I know most people will look at their record and scratch their head but this is a young team that has fought through some injuries and adversity of their QB quitting this year. I hope they come to play this Friday!

I specifically remember oc was suppose to be young last year and this was their year to beat Mayfield and advance. At least that was the chatter on here last year around this time.

They were very young and talented at the skill spots returning into this season, but no one really took into account their lines. They did lose some important seniors along the lines last year and it had a major impact on them early in the year. It affected their skill guys as well. Warren never looked comfortable in the early part of the season and ended up leaving the team. Von Williams had no room to run. Their defensive line was getting man handled on a weekly basis. After these two hooked up last year, i thought this would be OC's year to surpass Mayfield. Things have just played out a little differently than I expected. Mayfield is a powerhouse. They just reload on a yearly basis. Catholic can win this game, but it would take some breaks going their way AND they would have to play their best game of the year. Its going to be real tough, especially on the road.