Inside the 14th Region Rankings - Week 2

Another exciting week for basketball across the state has came and gone. Majority of the 14th Region Teams played in tournaments/classics this weekend across. Let’s take a look back at the week we had in the 14th region.

1.Perry County Central (2-1):

Despite haven played only 3 games this season even with basketball season starting over 2 weeks ago, the Commodores of Perry Central remained the top team this week, despite a 82-75 loss at Harlan county. The Commodores did pick up a win last Tuesday, however, 74-64 at Clay County.

The Commodores keep getting great production from 3 of their players; Damon Tobler (21 PPG), Noah Back (16.3 PPG) and Austin Hill (15.7 PPG)

Perry Central has 3 tough games this coming week; 12/13 vs. Cordia, 12/16 vs. Johnson Central, 12/17 @ Hazard

2.Cordia (2-1):

Much like the Commodores, the Cordia Lions have only played 3 games in 2 weeks. Cordia played just one game this past week (this past Saturday) when they traveled to Manchester to play Clay County in the inargual Bobby Keith Classic. Clay County would get the best of the Lions but it wouldn’t be by much as Cordia fell 66-62 to the Tigers.

Cordia got big man, Oumar Keita back from injury. Keita scored 16 points in the loss. The Lions have 4 other players besides Keita that’s averaging double figures in scoring; Ramon Mercado (18 PPG), Oumar Keita (16 PPG), Kareem McDonald (16 PPG), Dandre Reed (13 PPG) and Malik Henry (13.5 PPG)

The Lions have 3 tough tests coming up this week with 2 of them being district opponents; 12/13 @ Perry Central, 12/15 @ Letcher Central, 12/17 vs. Knott Central

3.Letcher Central (3-1):

After suffering a 64-42 loss at Harlan County to open the up the season, the Cougars have went on a 3 game win streak, picking up wins over Jackson City 73-31, Betsy Layne 84-43 and Jenkins 73-30.

Big Man Torell Carter continues to show why he’s the #1 player in the 14th Region. Averaging 26 points a game and grabbing 8 boards a game.

4.Estill County (4-0):

The Engineers continue to roll. Estill County picked up 2 wins this past week to push their record to 4-0. Engineers came from 19 points down to defeated East Jessamine on the road, 73-65. The Engineers then traveled to Jackson to participate in the inargual Peggy Moore Memorial Classic. Engineers would face off against the Bobcats of Breathitt County. The Engineers led most of the game, 12-10 after 1, 23-15 at halftime. 38-35 at the end of 3. Estill lost the 4th quarter by 1 26-25 but won the game on a buzzer beater rolling around the rim before it drops in.

Estill junior guard, Caleb Bonny has scored 79 points combine in those two games. Runs his point total for the season to 122 (that’s 31 PPG).

Engineers are home Monday and Tuesday of this week against Madison Southern and Rockcastle County before going on the road to participate in the Garrard County Holiday Classic next weekend.

5.Breathitt County (3-2):

Bobcats went 1 and 1 this past week, defeating Jackson City soundly 70-35 but losing a heartbreaker to Estill county 63-61 on a buzzer beater.

Bobcats have 4 games this week; 12/12 @ Riverside Christian, 12/16 vs. Wolfe County, 12/17 vs. Fleming County (@ Rowan), 12/20 @ Hazard.

6.Knott County Central (5-1):

The Patriots ran their win streak to 5-0 after defeating June Buchanan 81-44 and Leslie County 100-79. The Patriots would also play in the Peggy Moore Memorial Classic @ Breathitt County. Their opponent wouldn’t be an easy task, Scott County, who already has a victory over a 14th region team, Powell County. The Patriots kept it close for a half but the Cardinals adjusted and ran away from Knott Central in the second half on their way to a 82-59 victory.

Isaac Caudill and Austin Combs continue to lead the way for the Patriots. Caudill averaging 17.8 PPG and Combs averaging 27.5 PPG.

The Patriots open up this week at home against Hazard on Tuesday, host Pike central on Thursday and travel to district/county rival Cordia on Saturday.

7.Leslie County (5-1):

The Eagles went 2-1 this past week with wins over Wolfe County 90-77 and Portland Christian 85-54 but fell to Knott Central 100-77. JR guard Colin Smith led the Eagles with 36 in the loss to Knott Central.

3 of the starting 5 for the Eagles are having double digits. Colin Smith (19.6 PPG), Tyler Dixon (18.2 PPG), Nick Hoskins (14.2 PPG).

Leslie County will host Williamsburg on Tuesday for their only game this week.

8.Powell County (3-2):

The Pirates traveled to Georgetown on Tuesday to play the Scott County Cardinals. Game was actually close for a half as Scott County took a 50-41 led into halftime. Cardinals lead grew to 20 before winning 95-81. Powell County would go to Richmond Model on Saturday to participate in the Central Bank Heroes Classic vs. Frankfort. Pirates would roll to a 80-64 victory.

2 of the 3 games this week for the Pirates are district games. Pirates go to Owsley County on Tuesday, return home to face Lee County on Friday and travel to South Floyd on Saturday.

9.Hazard (2-1):

Hazard finally got the 2016/17 season underway after having the first week of the season off. Hazard picked up two big wins to begin the season defeating Lee County 82-63 and June Buchanan 69-37 before falling to Garrard County 48-43.

Hazard has several tough games this week; 12/13 @ #6 Knott Central, 12/15 @ South Floyd, 12/17 vs. Perry Central

10.Wolfe County (1-4):

One of the pre-season top 5 teams, Wolfe County has hit a skid, losing 3 of their last 4 games (3 straight). Wolfe kept the game close with Knott but the Patriots prevailed 92-87. Leslie County would hand Wolfe their second straight loss at 90-77. Wolfe traveled to Richmond Model to participate in the Central Bank Heroes Classic against Bethlehem, Bethlehem would cruise to a 67-53 win over the Wolves.

The Wolves have 2 district games this week; 12/13 vs. Jackson city and 12/16 @ Breathitt County.

11.Buckhorn (2-4):

The defending region champs are off to a rough start. 3 of their 4 losses have been double digit losses.

12.Jackson City (1-5):

2 of their 3 straight losses have been by 30+ points, including a 75 point loss to Knox Central.

13.Owsley County (0-5):

Despite being 0-5, the Owls lost to Berea 67-60 on a netrual floor while Berea thumped Lee County @ Berea 98-68.

14.Lee County (1-5):

This makes the 4th straight season that the Bobcats have lost 5 of their first 6 games.

15.June Buchanan (0-5):

After having a great season last year, the Crusaders have took a step back, losing 5 straight to begin this season.

16.Jenkins (0-6):

The woes continue for Jenkins, have lost 6 straight and all been by double digits.

17.Riverside Christian (1-5):

The Rams ended their 5 game losing streak with a 59-41 win over Piarist School.

Knott Central should be 3rd. Move them up and the others down one spot each. There only loss is too Scott County and they are big, physical, and can shoot. Letcher's three wins are against very weak opponents so the jury is still out on them.

That's the only change I would make. Great work though!

Knott Central should be 3rd. Move them up and the others down one spot each. There only loss is too Scott County and they are big, physical, and can shoot. Letcher's three wins are against very weak opponents so the jury is still out on them.

That's the only change I would make. Great work though!

Well I was actually gonna do that, I was actually gonna put them 1 but got to looking and Powell county who sits at 3-2 traveled to Scott County and played them good. Kept it close for a half, just like Knott, but Scott County's lead on Powell didn't get past 20, best I can remember, their lead on Knott was almost 30, that's why I shoved them so far down on the list.

Well I was actually gonna do that, I was actually gonna put them 1 but got to looking and Powell county who sits at 3-2 traveled to Scott County and played them good. Kept it close for a half, just like Knott, but Scott County's lead on Powell didn't get past 20, best I can remember, their lead on Knott was almost 30, that's why I shoved them so far down on the list.

Understandable and I can see the argument. I think Perry is 1 right now and Cordia is 2 as you have them ranked. We will know more when they play head to head as it is very early!