Keys to Victory Boone Co/Campbell Co

oldgrappler

This is the game at Owen Hauck Stadium on Friday night at 7 pm.

Tell us what your team needs to do to win this contest. You may want to include what you've seen against common opponents and what you've learned about the team observing them over the course of the season so far.

Maybe you have seen both teams as opponents of your team this season. Give us your insights, as well.

Common opponents so far: Cooper, Ryle, Conner, SK. All losses by both teams.

Boone is just bad in every facet. There is really one thing they can do to win this game.Throw the ball to the outside receivers. Campbell's secondary is awful at coverage and cannot tackle an old lady in a walker. Campbell is just bad in every facet. There is only one thing they can do. Run the ball. Boone's defense and tackling are atrocious.

@GoIrish20, I guess its a good thing one team wears blue and the other purple or we'd have a hard time telling them apart. I do agree these teams are fairly evenly matched. I think we could have a good game.

Here's my take on it from the perspective of a Rebel fan.

Boone needs to establish an identity on offense from the beginning. They can move the ball on the ground. They have put together good drives all season against good opponents. The line gets push and they have a power running back or two or three that chews up yards on the ground. To be successful they have to eliminate the errors. Dropped balls and fumbles hurt them in the first half against Cooper and broken plays have been bothersome all season. Add to the run a mix of passes. Move the QB out of the pocket on occasion and throw it out in the flat. Get the ball into the hands of their speed guys. Take advantage of some match-ups over the top. They also need to find a way to score when they are in the red zone. Too many missed opportunities this season. Consistent execution is key. To win this game, I think it comes down to this on the offensive side of the ball--sustain the drive all the way down the field and find a way to score. Then repeat. They also need offensive success early in the second half. This is where several games have gotten away from Boone. We don't capitalize on our possessions early in the third quarter and the other team does. Then things go down hill from there.

On defense we have to get some early stops. This has been done this year by this defense. The offense and the defense have to coordinate their success so that the offense scores and the defense stops CC so that we can have a lead for once. I think that could change the perplexion of the second half if we can go into the half with a lead. Boone Co has played well in the first half of many of our games. The defense has made stops and the offense, if not always scoring, holds the ball for a long time on sustained drives. If you check the halftime scores this season, we have been close. In this game, the defense will have to protect the center of the field. From what I have seen, CC likes to run between tackles. RB #5 and QB #10 for CC look to turn it up field at the first opportunity. There is an occasional pitch out but they run a lot of plays tackle to tackle. CC also likes to throw it quickly out to the edge in the passing game. DBs will need to move quickly to the ball and make the tackle. Their defensive teammates will need to swarm to the ball. If Boone can do that consistently, then the CC offense will have to do something else that is out of their comfort zone. The Boone defense will have to play as well in the second half as they do in the first half. They need stops in the third quarter to keep the flood gates closed. Points in the second half seem to come in bunches for our opponents in the late third and fourth quarter. Keep the gate closed. Boone has a tendency to give up big plays so they obviously have to minimize that in this game. Also, we are due for some take-aways. Cause a fumble and recover it or intercept a pass. That would be a big boost to our offense. As was noted by another poster, tackling is key.

Specials teams: we need good field position in this game. Our Special teams have been improving and give us a little better field position than early on in the season. We need to keep this trend going. I think kick/punt placement is important so that CC's return men can't catch the ball and pick where they want to go. Force them to pick the ball up off the ground and go towards a sideline. We have to tackle and keep the returns short so the CC offense has a looong way to go for a score.

Boone has done everything I have said in this post throughout the season. They just have not done so consistently. It is time to string together their positive play and eliminate the mistakes. This will be senior night. I know the seniors will be motivated and they will set the tone for the team. This will be the game when we put it all together.

Good luck to Coach Steele and the Boone County Rebels on Friday night. I'll be there and you'll hear me.

It still blows my mind that Boone County only has 2 wins since their appearance in the 2011 state semifinals. I've been pulling for them but I'm rooting for my Camels this week. Boone has definitely improved this year even if their record doesn't indicate it. I think these teams match up well and I think this will be a close game. With a good bit of rain in the forecast on Thursday, the field could be a mess on Friday night and that should make for a fun game to watch. A sloppy field would give Boone County the edge, I'd think.

@Mediocre Nachos, will you be at the game? If so, I recommend you go to our concessions and try the Walking Taco. It may be an improvement over the nachos you are used to.

Yes, sir! Thanks for the recommendation. I'll have to check it out. Look for me, I'll be the one wearing purple! :ylsuper: