NKY Power Rankings 09-07-16 - Sponsored by NKY Family & Cosmetic Dentistry

Thanks to Northern Kentucky Family & Cosmetic Dentistry -"Making Northern Kentucky Smile" for sponsoring our 2016 Northern Kentucky Power Rankings! We encourage everyone to patronize all of our sponsors, and you can visit Northern Kentucky Family & Cosmetic Dentistry at 2047 Centennial Boulevard in Independence, KY.

attachment.php?attachmentid=57023&d=1469624563

THE RANKINGS:

10) Newport Catholic (2A) 1-2 – The Breds took another one on the chin this week, losing to 6A Campbell County at home on Friday. New Cath hung tough with the Camels in the 28-33 loss. Kole Carmack led the defense with 10 solo tackles, while Kurtis Sutkamp and Austin Neff each added 8 tackles a piece. QB Henschen went 10 for 23 passing hitting 5 different receivers for 116 yards in the air, and Kyle Kelly added another 142 of the team’s total 202 yards on the ground. New Cath has a challenge to get their next win when they host Belfry, the 3A defending state champs.

9) Beechwood (1A) 2-0 – Beechwood is showing that they mean business this season, putting up their second win of the season by beating the 2A Somerset Briar Jumpers 29-7 at home on Friday. The Tigers defense had another good outing, holding the Jumpers to only 223 total yards and intercepting Somerset twice, while the offense improved from week 1, with 220 yards in the air and another 191 on the ground. Beechwood hosts 4A Franklin county in Fort Mitchell on Friday.

8) Dixie Heights (5A) 2-0 – The Colonels are off to a 2-0 start this season after beating Milford (OH) this week 28-13. Dixie had a colossal 418 yards rushing this week, which appeared to be the majority of their gameplan, as they only had 4 total attempted passes, and only put up 24 yards in the air. Dixie will have to put together more of a rounded offense if they want to challenge Cov Cath and Highlands in their 5A district this season, but they look to improve their record this week when they host the 6A Simon Kenton Pioneers in Edgewood this week.

7) Cooper (6A) 2-1 – After being shut out by 6A Bryan Station last season, the Jags turned things around this year, beating the Defenders 52-28 in Union on Friday. This was the third week straight that Cooper put up 42+ points on the scoreboard, and they amassed over 500 total yards this week in their win. QB Lonaker went 14 for 27 with 270 yards and 4 TDs passing. Dante Hendrix had 4 receptions for 144 yards and 3 TDs, while Jaden Jackson added 178 and 1 TD on the ground. The Jags look to improve their record this week against 6A Campbell County.

6) Highlands (5A) 1-2 – There isn’t much of a margin at all that separates numbers 3-7 in the NKY power rankings right now. At this point in the season there’s whole a lot to be said for which team comes out with the toughest winning attitude on game day, and how they execute with that attitude. The Birds currently stand with a 1-2 record, with losses to 6A Campbell County in week 1 and a loss to 6A Scott County this past Friday. Highlands put up an impressive 420 total yards of offense against the Cardinals and only lost the yardage battle by 62 yards, but they came up short by 9 points in their 33-42 loss to Scott County. The Birds travel to Union to take on the 6A Ryle Raiders this Friday.

5) Conner (6A) 1-1 – There were a lot of eyebrows raised around Northern Kentucky on Friday when the Cougars managed to come within two touchdowns of 6A Simon Kenton. They played the Pioneers to one of their smallest margins of victory in the past 3 seasons, losing 27-39. It’s still tough to get an accurate gauge on Conner after a win over a very weak 6A Boone County team and loss to the unquestionable Simon Kenton Pioneers, but there’s no questioning that quarterback Walker Buelow and the Cougars mean business this year. Conner hosts 4A Scott this week.

4) Covington Catholic (5A) 2-1 – For the first time in over 25 years, Cov Cath has managed to take down two Ohio teams in a single season when they beat the Sycamore Aviators 34-33 in overtime on Friday night in Park Hills. The Colonels surprised a lot of football fans with their win. Quarterback AJ Mayer led the game’s air assault, going 18 for 35 with 247 yards and 3 TDs passing, and Alex Shelton led the defensive charge with 9 solo tackles. The Colonels host 3A Lexington Catholic this week.

3) Campbell County (6A) 2-1 – The Camels held on to beat the 2A New Cath Thoroughbreds on Friday, but their position at #3 in NKY is not holding on by much. Although they came away with a 33-28 victory, a 6A team needs to be able to put a solid win up on a 2A team every week in order to expel any doubts from the minds of critics. Campbell County only ended up with 9 yards more total offense than the Breds, and will have to really impress this week in their game against 6A Cooper if they want to hold on to their #3 spot in NKY.

2) Ryle (6A) 3-0 – The 6A Boone County Rebels weren’t much of a challenge for the Raiders this week. QB Tanner Morgan went an impressive 18 for 29 with 241 yards passing, and the offense posted an impressive 419 total yards, while Jackson High and Josh Sandman each chalked up 8 solo tackles a piece, and led the defense in holding the Rebels to a mere 101 yards total offense. The Raiders take on 5A Highlands next week in Union.

1) Simon Kenton (6A) 3-0 – Was Simon Kenton struggling this week, or were they really up against their best challenger thus far this season? Well the Cameron Racke and the Pioneers offense amassed a total 387 yards on offense, and the defense managed to hold the 6A Conner Cougars to 200 yards offense. Even so, this game had a mere 12 point spread once time ran out on the clock with the final score of 39-27. Still, the ‘Neers hold on to the #1 spot in the Northern Kentucky rankings and prepare for 5A Dixie Heights next week.

Trending Up:

5A Covington Catholic (2-1) – Second year Cov Cath head coach Eddie Eviston had his biggest win thus far with Colonels, leading Cov Cath to a 34-33 upset win in overtime over Sycamore (OH) under the lights in Park Hills on Friday.

6A Conner (2-1) – The Cougars may have lost to 6A Simon Kenton on Friday, but they did so by putting up a solid challenge, keeping to the ‘Neers to an uncharacteristic 12 point margin of victory.

2A Lloyd Memorial (2-1) – The Juggs got their second win of the season, thumping 5A Grant County 48-7 in Erlanger.

Trending Down:

1A Bellevue (0-3) – The Tigers suffered their 3rd straight loss last week, losing 6-13 to 1A Bishop Brossart. Bellevue plays at 2A Newport this week.

4A Holmes (1-2) – After beating 1A Paris last week, the Bulldogs were blanked by 2A Walton-Verona in a 0-17 loss last week on the road. Holmes travels to Erlanger this week to take on the 2A Lloyd Memorial Juggernauts.

2A Newport Catholic (1-2) – The Breds took a tough loss on Friday at the hands of 6A Campbell County, and face another tough team next week when they host the 3A defending state champion Belfry Pirates this week.

Player Of The Week:

Kole Carmack (Newport Catholic)

Despite losing the game, Kole led the Breds defense with an impressive 10 solo tackles and 3 more assisted tackles against the 6A Campbell County Camels.

Game Of The Week:

Campbell County (6A) vs. Cooper (6A)

Cooper may have lost to 5A Highlands, and Campbell County may have beaten the Birds, but there isn’t much separating these two teams from one another at this point in the season. The Camels host the Jaguars this week in Claryville.

Edited by Colonels_Wear_Blue

Two things: Game of the week. Cooper is the Cooper Jaguars, not the Cooper Cougars! :)

Next, on the mention of Conner, Cooper played SK to a 13-12 game last year, so that part is a little off about being the closest game for SK against a NKY team. Other than that I don't have any problems with these rankings. Well, I think Cooper is a little low, but I can make an argument either way so I am content. NICE WORK!!

Two things: Game of the week. Cooper is the Cooper Jaguars, not the Cooper Cougars! :)

Next, on the mention of Conner, Cooper played SK to a 13-12 game last year, so that part is a little off about being the closest game for SK against a NKY team. Other than that I don't have any problems with these rankings. Well, I think Cooper is a little low, but I can make an argument either way so I am content. NICE WORK!!

Looks like my eyes were going a little crossed last night when I was writing up the rankings last night :facepalm:

I made a couple of edits in the write-up for you...thanks for catching that!

Looks like my eyes were going a little crossed last night when I was writing up the rankings last night :facepalm:

I made a couple of edits in the write-up for you...thanks for catching that!

No problem at all. You guys do a fantastic job on these things and I know we all enjoy reading them and discussing them! Keep up the good work!!