Collector's Item or Major Disappointment?

Big Slick

As I checked my PO box for the first time in a few days today, I received the first issue of Playboy since the conversion to non nude photos. I actually consider this both a collector's Item and a disappointment. My subscription runs out in May, doubt it gets renewed.

I just received in the mail my issue of Rolling Stone Magazine with David Bowie on the cover, and there is a printing flaw where there is discoloration on his forehead in a couple of spots, along with a weird aqua colored spot to the left of the picture of him.

At first I thought that something was stuck on the cover, but no it's definitely a printing flaw.

At first I thought that it could devalue the copy as a collectors item, and then again thought that since it's not truly damaged, and it's the way it left their distributors, that maybe in its rareness that it could be of value, but I doubt it.

Getting a hold of Rolling Stone Magazine to have them replace it would be merely impossible. I've dealt with them before and they do their best to remain unreachable.

Out of curiosity, and don't answer if you don't want to, but what is your age and marital status?

I'm in my low 40s, I got divorced many years ago, but currently live a beautiful lady a few years younger than me. I've had a subscription to Playboy for at least 20 years or so back in the college days. There is a lot more to it than just naked pictures. The setup is geared more towards a Maxim or GQ type magazine.

I just received in the mail my issue of Rolling Stone Magazine with David Bowie on the cover, and there is a printing flaw where there is discoloration on his forehead in a couple of spots, along with a weird aqua colored spot to the left of the picture of him.

At first I thought that something was stuck on the cover, but no it's definitely a printing flaw.

At first I thought that it could devalue the copy as a collectors item, and then again thought that since it's not truly damaged, and it's the way it left their distributors, that maybe in its rareness that it could be of value, but I doubt it.

Getting a hold of Rolling Stone Magazine to have them replace it would be merely impossible. I've dealt with them before and they do their best to remain unreachable.

This has me scratching my head. That is serious level of caring about the appearance of the cover of a magazine lol. Please, please, please call the customer service and ask for a replacement magazine. And record it. I have to hear how the representative responds.

Out of curiosity, why do you ask?
Just wondering who subscribes to Playboy nowadays. When I was a kid seems like a lot of my friends dads had a subscription but with the internet now I'd think most magazine subscriptions are dwindling, especially for skin mags. I don't think I have heard anyone in the last 15 years or more say they subscribed to Playboy and it just made me curious when you did.

This has me scratching my head. That is serious level of caring about the appearance of the cover of a magazine lol. Please, please, please call the customer service and ask for a replacement magazine. And record it. I have to hear how the representative responds.

Or go buy one off the rack.

Or go buy one off the rack.

Some RS covers stand out as more valuable collectors items than others, and a David Bowie memorial type cover would be one of them for sure.

A couple of years ago I failed to receive an issue and thought that a simple phone call would do the trick, however there was never an option to speak to a real human. I did eventually get a response after numerous attempts at emailing them after pointing out that I had been long time subscriber, and threatened to cancel my subscription.

I might try again to reach them to report the flawed cover and to see if they'd send me a clean unflawed copy, but I know going in that it's not exactly going to be a snap to get it accomplished.

I've been subscribing to RS since 1983 and around 1992 I was moving and in a stupid quick decision gave a rock n' roll friend of mine my (at the time) entire nearly 10 year collection.

Within a couple of days he got the bright idea of cutting off all of the covers and discarding all the magazines. Then about a week after that turned around and chucked the covers too.

I truly wish that he would have told me what he had in mind, and I perhaps would have rethought what I might do with the mags, or possibly just keep them. I certainly would have kept them if I had known that within a week they'd all been pitched to the garbage. I could've done that myself. What an idiot.

Right now I have every copy since 1992, but will forever kick myself for not also hanging on to all the copies from '83 to '92.

About 10 years ago RS also offered their subscribers with a sweet deal for a lifetime subscription for $100. I passed on the deal while a friend of mine went for it. She has RS coming to her for the rest of her life while every couple of years I still have to re-subscribe. I can kick myself for not going for that deal considering it's pretty much a given that I will subscribe to them for as long as they keep providing a printed version.

I guess I'm just old school in some ways, but never looked into getting magazines online. Subscriptions are cheap, plus after reading the 5 or so mags I get a month, I take to the local card games for others to share. My ex is a teacher and she would take the acplicable ones to her school for the students to read.