Turntable Recomendations

JDEaston

I figure BGP is as good of a place as any to get some opinions because I know there are a lot of vinyl collectors here. My business partner got into collecting vinyl a couple of years ago and knowing my love for music he gifted me a Jensen turntable for Christmas. I love it and can see myself getting into collecting, but it's a relatively inexpensive model that has two small built in speakers and a couple of speaker level outputs to connect some small bookshelf speakers. But I want more sound that it will ever be able to provide haha.

It works perfect for a more formal living room we have in the house since the volume will never be turned up loud in that room. But I have a family/theater room addition on the house and am really considering purchasing another turntable that I can pair with my existing speakers in that room.

I'll admit I don't know much about newer model turntables but I know most now can be used with modern stereo avr's that typically lack phono inputs by using usb to output the sound to the reciever. Is this a viable option, in terms of sound quality?

The way I see it I have a couple of options, go the usb turntable route and use my existing system and speakers. Or buy an integrated amplifier along with any turntable and use the phono inputs on that amp. Obviously the cheapest route would be to use usb, but I want to make sure I get the best sound possible in a true 2 channel setup.

Any thoughts or idea's on which route to go or any particular model of turntables I should be looking at? If I don't go the usb route I will likely be pairing the turntable with one of these.

A-S501 - Integrated Amplifiers - Hi-Fi Components - Audio & Visual - Products - Yamaha United States

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on the price range you're considering. I just recently bought an Audio Technica LP-120. It ran me about $250. It has a built in preamp so you can switch back and forth from Phono to Line.

I am using it with powered speakers right now. I am loving the sound.

There's a LP-60 also that's a little more basic. I think it has the built in preamp as well.

I'm not an expert by any means, but I love my new setup.

Depends on the price range you're considering. I just recently bought an Audio Technica LP-120. It ran me about $250. It has a built in preamp so you can switch back and forth from Phono to Line.

I am using it with powered speakers right now. I am loving the sound.

There's a LP-60 also that's a little more basic. I think it has the built in preamp as well.

I'm not an expert by any means, but I love my new setup.

I had been looking at some Audio Technica models, they all seem to get good reviews. I'll definitely keep them in mind. I was unaware that the built in preamps are as common as they seem to be now that I'm looking.

Looking at that amp, it doesn't appear that you had my same budget concerns. :lol2:

I haven't looked for deals online for that model yet, but in past experience something from Yamaha with that msrp can usually be had for $400 or less shipped. The one thing I get to freely spend money on without the misses complaining is a/v equipment lol. It's been a while since I've made a purchase, so I'm due for a new toy.

This is the direction I would go.

The u-turn Orbit turntable.This is the best affordable turntable there is.

The basic one does not have a cue lever,so if you have shaky hands I would get the orbit cue as a add on.

Orbit Basic Turntable ? U-Turn Audio

If your amp doesn't have a phono section I highly recommend this awesome little phono preamp The Art DJ Pre II. You just plug the Preamp into the Aux section of the amp/receiver. The u-turn store also has a good preamp.

Now if your amp does have a built in phono preamp,I would just use it.

Robot Check

Not trying to sound snobbish or arrogant but I would not play my records on a jensen record player or one of those crosley's. Not so much about the sound,but over time they will destroy your records.

NEW Jensen Turntable | Audiokarma Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

Here is a link to a great site with tons of information about the u-turn orbit turntable.Search Results for Query: u-turn | Audiokarma Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums[node]=28

:thumb:

If I was buying a new one tomorrow I would get one of these three. All consistently get good reviews, are affordable, and allow for upgrading the needle, cartridge and shell, which depending on how serious you get you'll need. You'll be getting into four figures if you want a "better" turntable than these.

Pro-Ject Audio Systems

AT-LP120-USB Direct-drive Professional Turntable (USB & Analog) with AT95E Cartridge || Audio-Technica US

I also use a pre-amp since my amp doesn't have a phono input. I use the ART DJPre and it's outstanding.

I have an older Technics turntable that works great. It was actually @ADopted ADmiral who gave me some advice on finding a solid used model.

If I was buying a new one tomorrow I would get one of these three. All consistently get good reviews, are affordable, and allow for upgrading the needle, cartridge and shell, which depending on how serious you get you'll need. You'll be getting into four figures if you want a "better" turntable than these.

Pro-Ject Audio Systems

AT-LP120-USB Direct-drive Professional Turntable (USB & Analog) with AT95E Cartridge || Audio-Technica US

I also use a pre-amp since my amp doesn't have a phono input. I use the ART DJPre and it's outstanding.

I have an older Technics turntable that works great. It was actually @ADopted ADmiral who gave me some advice on finding a solid used model.

I would own all three you linked...:thumb:

I haven't looked for deals online for that model yet, but in past experience something from Yamaha with that msrp can usually be had for $400 or less shipped. The one thing I get to freely spend money on without the misses complaining is a/v equipment lol. It's been a while since I've made a purchase, so I'm due for a new toy.

Do you get to Lexington much? I have a friend that has a shop in Versailles.

(Old Sounds New)... He carries real nice vintage stereo equipment.

Edited by Colonels_Wear_Blue
Repaired Broken Quote

Thank's for the help guys, I'll check out those models, the Orbit looks like a pretty good deal at first glance. Also thanks for the heads up on the Jensen @ADopted ADmiral, I'll keep that in mind and be selective in what it gets to play.

Do you guys ever have problems with vibration causing the needle to skip at louder volumes? Just curious if the anti-vibration feet work well or not? I know that they work fine with blueray/cd players, but I know there is also anti skip technology built into those devices.

Thank's for the help guys, I'll check out those models, the Orbit looks like a pretty good deal at first glance. Also thanks for the heads up on the Jensen @ADopted ADmiral, I'll keep that in mind and be selective in what it gets to play.

Do you guys ever have problems with vibration causing the needle to skip at louder volumes? Just curious if the anti-vibration feet work well or not? I know that they work fine with blueray/cd players, but I know there is also anti skip technology built into those devices.

I've never had any problem. Just make sure your speakers aren't set up on the same thing your turntable is on. If it happens on your Jensen I'd bet it's because the speakers are inside of it.

I've had 200 watt speakers absolutely roaring and didn't notice any sort of disturbance.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?search/1790485/&q=anti-vibration+feet&t=post&o=relevance

Do you get to Lexington much? I have a friend that has a shop in Versailles.

(Old Sounds New)... He carries real nice vintage stereo equipment.

Yeah I have family in Versailles actually, I"ll check it out. I'm a bit skeptical of going vintage with something I don't know much about though haha. But I do know a lot of vintage stuff is still great. I have a pair of Klipsch LaScala's that were handed down to me from my uncle. As old as those things are they still sound amazing.

Edited by Colonels_Wear_Blue
Repaired Broken Quote