2nd Region Update 1/17

WKY

I have been helping JesseJames with the 2nd region but I will be conducting a solo mission for the remainder of the season. I will also post stat leaders for the region in another thread. There was a little movement but the race for region champion still looks to be between a handful of teams.

#1 Madisonville-North Hopkins (14-2, 7-0) UP 1

The Lady Maroons continue their dominance over region foes. I have hesitated to put them ahead of Henderson County to this point but I expect them to walk away from that January 22nd matchup with a victory. Adarian Gray continues to fill up the scorebook, Molly Stone continues to pull down boards, and the Lady Maroon defense continues to stifle opponents.

#2 Henderson County (8-6, 2-0) DOWN 1

The Lady Colonels have been without Alisha Owens for the past 2 games and have taken hard losses to Daviess County and Lincoln County. Even though Owens was out, I still believe those two teams would have been too much for the Lady Colonels. This just isn't the same Henderson County team that we are used to seeing, but they are still very good.

#3 Hopkinsville (11-8, 7-2) SAME

The Lady Tigers were penciled in to fall in these rankings until their prayers were answered by the KHSAA with the release of Janiya Davis. Her first game was a big one with 13 points, 8 rebounds and 4 blocks against crosstown rival Christian County. Her eligibility makes this big team and even bigger team that opponents will struggle to matchup with in the frontcourt.

#4 Webster County (13-6, 4-2) SAME

The Lady Trojans were penciled in to move up to 3rd in my rankings, even with Janiya Davis becoming eligible, until they lost sophomore point guard Kelsey Payne for the season to a knee injury. Even without her the Lady Trojans will be a tough out come tournament time. Especially if freshman Karlie Keeney continues to emerge as the team's best player. If you want to beat them you will have to match their physical play and hustle.

#5 Hopkins County Central (11-10, 6-2) UP 1

The Lady Storm weathered a tough schedule to open the season and even recorded a very impressive win over 3rd region power Daviess County. The beatdowns they suffered from Madisonville-North Hopkins and Webster County appear to be in the rearview mirror as they have started to hit their stride lately. The late-blooming Lady Storm will be a team others will want to avoid come tournament time.

#6 Lyon County (12-2, 10-0) DOWN 1

Despite being undefeated in region play, the Lady Lyons have yet to play a team ranked higher than 9th in these rankings. Their best region win continues to be the 2 close games they played with district rival Crittenden County, who was brutally beaten by 3 teams ranked just ahead of Lyon County (Hopkinsville, Webster County, Hopkins County Central). If they want to move into my top 5 then they must prove to be a contender when they face a top 5 opponent.

#7 Christian County (8-10, 4-3) SAME

I was optimistic for the Lady Colonels after their impressive week at Hopkins County Central's tournament, but they have been marginal at best since then. I think this is where the region rankings really start to separate between realistic contenders and those wishing on a star. The Lady Colonels could be a force to deal with in future seasons with all of their young talent but I can't see them climbing any higher than 7th in the region this season.

#8 Union County (8-10, 3-3) SAME

The Bravettes have yet to fill the void left by All-Region forward Mikayla Thompson. True to their tradition, the Bravettes play hard and play smart but it doesn't look like it will be enough to overtake Henderson County or Webster County in their district. This will be the best team to not make the region tournament yet again.

#9 Crittenden County (8-10, 6-6) SAME

The Lady Rockets will be the beneficiary of a favorable district come tournament time but expect them to be 1 and done in the 2nd region tournament. Junior Cassidy Moss has been a force with her 18 pts/gm and 9.6 reb/gm numbers, but the Lady Rockets have yet to find someone to be that 2nd scorer.

#10 University Heights (6-13, 4-4) SAME

The Lady Blazers have really struggled lately, going 2-7 since our last rankings. They can take the #9 position with a win over Crittenden County in their "All-A" matchup but don't expect them to climb much higher than that.

#11 Caldwell County (2-15, 2-9) UP 1

The Lady Tigers have gone from winless to picking up two confidence wins over #12 Livingston Central and #13 Dawson Springs. This young team is improving each game just as I expected but will not challenge Madisonville-North Hopkins or Hopkins County Central for the district.

#12 Livingston Central (3-10, 2-7) DOWN 1

The Lady Cardinals have only recorded 2 region wins, both of which were against #14 Trigg County. Sophomore Tabby Padon continues to have a big year but it won't be enough to rise above Lyon County or Crittenden County in the district.

#13 Dawson Springs (8-8, 2-7) SAME

The Lady Panthers continue to pile up wins from other small schools in Western Kentucky but continue to struggle against region competition. The game against Livingston Central tomorrow in the "All-A" should be a competitive matchup.

#14 Trigg County (7-10, 0-7)/Fort Campbell (2-12, 0-7)

The Lady Cats have started to pile up some victories since our last rankings but they still have yet to record a region win. It has been much the same for the Lady Falcons of Fort Campbell. January 21st and February 18th will be huge games for both teams as both look to get their first region victory.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would Lincoln county be to much for Henderson with Owens? Webster beat them and Henderson lead webster by 20 pts with 3 mins to go. And for madisonville moving up that is fine Henderson has lost two games. But saying they are better after their two losses included a 40 pt lose to south warren a team Henderson lost to 44-40 in overtime I don't know. Should be a good game and a good thing for Henderson without no Owens so if they don't have her region tournment time then they will know where their stand.

The reason I said that is because she hasn't performed like I expected her to this season and I didn't feel like her presence would have changed that game from a 14 point loss to a win. I could be wrong. What is wrong with her anyway? I heard it was her knee again but that person wasn't sure either.

I agree 100 percent that she hasn't performed even close to the d-1 status she had at the begin of the year. She had Murray state at her first two games. The Lincoln game was 30-31 after 3 rd and 4 pt game with 4 mins to go. Owens is under concussion protocol, got hit in the head n Owensboro game first play.

I think your rankings are correct as to the top 4 teams. However, I believe that with or without Owens, Henderson is still the best team in the region when you factor in the two guys sitting on the bench! Their improvement against a zone defense against Union County is proof of what they are capable of when given an opport to work in the gym. They are the defending region champs until somebody knocks them off.

So, I would give Henderson the nod at 1 and then Hoptown at 2 with Davis now eligible to play. This is provided they don't self-destruct. Then Madisonville and Webster at 3! Among these top 4, I believe on any given night any one of these 4 have a shot at beating each other! Then Hopkins Central and Union are certainly capable of pulling off an upset.

Obviously, it is not likely that Union can beat Henderson when Hendo shoots the ball the way they did at home in the last game. And, Union has a 30 point loss to Webstee on the road, however, the district tourney is at Union and in hs basketball anything is possible. I don't see that being a likely outcome. It would be a MAJOR upset for Union to beat Henderson.

Against Webster Country (without starting point guard) at home then a Union victory is much more plausible. It would still be an upset for sure!

The big game coming up between Hendo at Webster will decide who gets automatic bye to regional tourney! With or without Owens should be a good game.

As for writing Union off and missing the regional tourney, I just don't believe that is wise considering they host this year and with the injury to Webster point guard and their youth!

I haven't seen madisonville yet but if they have that much trouble with Lyon they might not should be number 1. And for Webster they lost their point gaurd and they are looking ahead to Henderson coming to town on Thursday. I bet they play bad again tomorrow and then are a whole new team Thursday when district tournment is on the line.