Beechwood Notebook - Program Review

Last week we took a look back at the Tigers season to date. As the regular season draws to an end, let's take a look at all the Beechwood football teams and the state of the program in Tiger town.

Varsity's season was reported last week and they are having another great year. With 6 wins in a row including victories over ranked big school opponents Franklin County and Covington Catholic, the varsity Tigers are looking forward to the playoffs with hopes of finally getting that elusive 12th state championship.

On the JV level, this has truly been a year of experience and development. The JV Tigers get little, if any, practice time as a unit so it is always a learn as you go season for the JV at Beechwood. Add in the fact that Beechwood is trying to develop a player at QB who has never played QB before and you can see the challenges this group has faced. Despite those obstacles and playing mostly 5A or larger schools, the Beechwood JV team has held their own. They have a record of 3-3 with one game left versus an undefeated Walton Verona team. Dalton Everett is the player being developed at QB. He is one of the best athletes on the team and has made many big plays in his first year as QB. He also has struggled at times with the passing game but he has improved as the season has gone on and it looks like he could develop into a very good player at QB. Other standout performers for this group are Trevor Soward at RB/LB, Aiden Justice at RB and in the return game, Lucas Benson at DE/TE, Henry Erdman at LB, Riley Burns at RB/LB and on the line Braden Hermes and Joey Sherron. This group looks very solid and when added to the returning underclassmen playing varsity, next year will be another good year for Beechwood.

The freshman team has been very good this year and will be playing this week against Scott for the small school freshman championship in N. Ky. The Tigers are 5-2 with the two losses to 4A Covington Catholic in a game that went down to the final seconds with Beechwood fumbling the ball 3 yards away from the go ahead TD, and the other loss to 5A Scott in another close game. The top players for the freshman team are RB Logan Castleman, QB Brayden Burch, RB/LB Eddie Erdman, WR John Odom and K/WR/DB Daniel Mescher. Congratulations to the freshman team on a very good season with the chance to get another freshman title this week.

Finally, the middle school team also had a very successful season. The middle schools are split into three levels in N. Ky. and Beechwood plays on the middle level. This past Saturday the middle school Tigers played for the middle level championship versus Walton Verona. The Tigers fell short in that game and finished the year as runner-ups. I don't have names of key players on this team so I am hoping some other posters can share who the top players are.

Clearly, the pipeline is full and Beechwood is looking strong for years to come. Success is happening on every level and the future is bright. Good luck to those teams still competing and congratulations to all the teams on their success this year.

Great Summary EOT. We were having a discussion on Friday. What is the Line situation. I know they lose at least 4 Lineman to Graduation. Is that it?

Combs and Overstreet return next year. Losing McKown, Etler, Mahorney and the Bright Brothers. Sherron, Hermes and Rowe will return next year and should obtain starting positions. A couple of Sophomores should also be in the mix....Campbell, Talley, Dietz. Should be others.

Combs and Overstreet return next year. Losing McKown, Etler, Mahorney and the Bright Brothers. Sherron, Hermes and Rowe will return next year and should obtain starting positions. A couple of Sophomores should also be in the mix....Campbell, Talley, Dietz. Should be others.

Those are two studs returning in Combs and Overstreet. Big boys too. That is a solid crew in the returning group with good size and strength. Also, Lucas Benson will be very good at DE/TE. The Tigers will be just fine next year.

Those are two studs returning in Combs and Overstreet. Big boys too. That is a solid crew in the returning group with good size and strength. Also, Lucas Benson will be very good at DE/TE. The Tigers will be just fine next year.

Yep...forgot Benson....probably others also. When this group of Juniors were Freshman.... Combs, Overstreet, Hermes, Rowe and others just KNOCKED people off the ball...it was fun to watch. Sherron was out for the year with a knee early on. Great group that will need some underclass help as this years group does. Should be business as usual baring any major injury..IMO

The middle school team moved up this year to play in the middle division of the northern Kentucky middle school football league, it is my understanding that coach Bright and coach Rash wanted to do this so that the middle school team would follow in the steps of the varsity and play against better competition. They had a successful season considering the relinquished 5 of their 8th graders to the freshmen squad, all of which have played a huge part in the success of the freshmen team. Some names to watch over the next several years are Clay Trusty who will be an outstanding QB at the next level, Hank Birindelli who is a versatile athlete, The Baugh twins who are both tough nosed kids and Sabeon Turner who is sure handed at WR and a heck of DB. Sure there are others to mention, but sorry I don't know all their names. The middle school team had about 30 kids on their roster, so the numbers were good....the freshmen team should be well stocked again next year.

Good to hear. Need some size and muscle on a few of those, but great building material for sure. Rowe is one of my favorite kids and a Hard worker.

Great Summary EOT. We were having a discussion on Friday. What is the Line situation. I know they lose at least 4 Lineman to Graduation. Is that it?

Your question has been answered pretty well by others above. The big questions I see next year are right offensive tackle and replacing McKown at DT. Combs and Overstreet are currently starting as juniors on the left side and can play with anyone. I see Rowe starting, probably at center. Then you have Hermes and Sherron to likely fill the right side on offense. Defensively, there is enough among all those to put together a solid DT combo to go with Combs at DE and probably Benson at the other DE. A player I think has potential but needs to work hard in the off season to add size and strength is Campbell.

Your question has been answered pretty well by others above. The big questions I see next year are right offensive tackle and replacing McKown at DT. Combs and Overstreet are currently starting as juniors on the left side and can play with anyone. I see Rowe starting, probably at center. Then you have Hermes and Sherron to likely fill the right side on offense. Defensively, there is enough among all those to put together a solid DT combo to go with Combs at DE and probably Benson at the other DE. A player I think has potential but needs to work hard in the off season to add size and strength is Campbell.

Thanks for the additional info. I've not been my normal self. Only made it to a few JV games and less that a qtr total of Freshman.

I trust your all's opinion here and I feel better about next year.

The middle school team moved up this year to play in the middle division of the northern Kentucky middle school football league, it is my understanding that coach Bright and coach Rash wanted to do this so that the middle school team would follow in the steps of the varsity and play against better competition. They had a successful season considering the relinquished 5 of their 8th graders to the freshmen squad, all of which have played a huge part in the success of the freshmen team. Some names to watch over the next several years are Clay Trusty who will be an outstanding QB at the next level, Hank Birindelli who is a versatile athlete, The Baugh twins who are both tough nosed kids and Sabeon Turner who is sure handed at WR and a heck of DB. Sure there are others to mention, but sorry I don't know all their names. The middle school team had about 30 kids on their roster, so the numbers were good....the freshmen team should be well stocked again next year.

Baugh twins should be pretty good. They where good when thry played for South Kenton.