Saint Xavier 14 Male 7

Oxnard

I hit this one very close in the prediction thread:

"Alan60 is really not sandbagging when he says that that there is definitely the possibility that Male beats St. X. tonight. The Tigers have nowhere near the depth of talent (numbers-yes, talent-no) nor the offensive leadership, line play and firepower that they had in 2007, 2008, and 2009. In addition, there is a large dropoff in the kicking and punting game which has been a staple linchpin of Tiger success for years. Until these issues are resolved (and I'm not so sure the personel is on the roster to resolve them), the Tigers will have to rely on their defense and playing disciplined, mistake-free ball.

On the other hand, Male's offense is clicking in high gear behind speedsters Giddens and Morris. The biggest factor in Male's improvement is the defensive change that Coach Wolfe has brought with him. No longer do the Bulldogs run that 10-men-in-the-box, one-on-one-press-coverage defense, which gave up all the points to simple quick trap plays or deep fly pattern plays. Male is making everyone work hard for their points this season.

I have picked St. X. to win in a close low-scoring contest, which will look nothing like the Tigers 62-21 victory last year.

Saint Xavier 13 - Male 7 "

The Tigers scored the winning TD on a 4-yard run by Daylen Hall with only 18 seconds remaining.

Way to find a way to win, Tigers!! :ylsuper:

X's defense must be scary good...held Male to 119 total yards and 5 first downs.

Defense is setting the tone for X. They will force a slugfest in every game and be happy to do so. Male only gained 36 yards in the second half. Morris and Giddens are quality backs and each came into the game with 400+ yards rushing. X held them to something like 41 and 12 yards respectively.

Maybe when X gets their backfield back in place they will see rapid improvemnt. Who would have thought a month ago they would be playing all the sophomores? In August, Coach Glaser bemoaned the fact that they did not have much depth and experience. The past few weeks they have been forced to play young kids on the offensive side of the ball. This could be a blessing down the road as they are slowly building some quality depth on offense. Really was a gutty effort on both sides of the ball to get the win.

It will at least be fun to "switch positions" and play the coveted underdog role until the meeting until the second meeting (and I understand that assumes Ballard, Eastern or Male won't derail one of the teams because they might actually be set up to do that this year). Hopefully, with hard work, a team concept and good coaching, Saint X will develop into a competitive team come November!!

I hit this one very close in the prediction thread:

"Alan60 is really not sandbagging when he says that that there is definitely the possibility that Male beats St. X. tonight. The Tigers have nowhere near the depth of talent (numbers-yes, talent-no) nor the offensive leadership, line play and firepower that they had in 2007, 2008, and 2009. In addition, there is a large dropoff in the kicking and punting game which has been a staple linchpin of Tiger success for years. Until these issues are resolved (and I'm not so sure the personel is on the roster to resolve them), the Tigers will have to rely on their defense and playing disciplined, mistake-free ball.

On the other hand, Male's offense is clicking in high gear behind speedsters Giddens and Morris. The biggest factor in Male's improvement is the defensive change that Coach Wolfe has brought with him. No longer do the Bulldogs run that 10-men-in-the-box, one-on-one-press-coverage defense, which gave up all the points to simple quick trap plays or deep fly pattern plays. Male is making everyone work hard for their points this season.

I have picked St. X. to win in a close low-scoring contest, which will look nothing like the Tigers 62-21 victory last year.

Saint Xavier 13 - Male 7 "

The Tigers scored the winning TD on a 4-yard run by Daylen Hall with only 18 seconds remaining.

Way to find a way to win, Tigers!! :ylsuper:

I am with ya Ox!