Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

OutlawJoseyWales

10 Post Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by OutlawJoseyWales

  1. We do have some holes to fill..but I think we'll be fine. If he continues to develop, the Louvern kid could be a real surprise. He has great speed and despite his youth could be someone to add a dimension of speed to the backfield. But, IMO, Haywood has got to decide if and how he's going to use the Preston kid. This kid is a talent. He's a top notch athlete, that was seldomly used, after the Lawrence Co game...Still unsure as to why he wasn't worked into the backfield rotation. I hope they consider moving him to the TB spot. IMO, Belfry really needs help at the TE spot. Especially from a physicality standpoint. We're simply not athletic the the ends....which could turn out to be a real problem next year.
  2. This match up is a true classic. IMO, the keys are: 1. Size vs. Speed. Russell's O-Line is mammoth. I look for Belfry to play a straight "52"...but possibly use an occasional stunt technique to emphasize our speed. If Russell is consistenly finding themselves in 2nd and shorts...3rd and shorts..could be a long night for the Pirates. 2. Chapman/Epling vs. Russell's cornerbacks. May very well be "the matchup" of the game. While not slow...Russell's CB's are by no means speed demons..and they'll be pushed to contain Belfry's outside game. Belfry fared well against an overall quicker and bigger Middlesboro team. However, rest assured....Russell will be much better coached...better prepared...and in a better position to put up one holy fight. Home field advantage played a role last year.....will that be the case in 2006?? This game has the feel of the old Steelers/Cowboys games in the 70's. A True, Legitimate Classic. You've gotta love High School Football.
  3. The two "T's" were huge...tackling and turnovers. I thought Haywood did a great job in preparation for this one. Mixed it up well offensively....and really schemed well defensively to create pressure on Hoskins. IMO, the play of Phillip Hickman was absolutely tremendous. Continous pressure...he was simply a beast last night. He was a real difference maker.
  4. Pretty decent breakdown. However, even if Belfry completes 3-4 passes..I still don't think the Middlesboro corners are going to go a pass first mentality. I think Belfry will have to play smash mouth football....and our backs are going to have to "create" some opportunities..via broken tackles...sharp cuts, etc,etc. It would be nice to see a "wrinkle or two"..but I seriously doubt it. You're right on with Special teams play. Simply cannot afford any mishaps. IMO, the two "T's" will decide this one: Tackling and Turnovers. I do think, we'll see the May and Lee combo some. That could be real interesting for a change of pace. Should be a great game.
  5. That's a nice try....but if Middlesboro wins...it would not be a HUGE upset. I know you guys are still smarting from losing head to head over the last 3 contests....and...you've got revenge on your mind...but, based on your fans opinions....you guys seem relatively confident that you'll leave Pond Creek with a victory. I don't think you can have it both ways:D It's one thing to be the hunter...and it's another thing to be the hunted. The Pirates have been both. I don't think Cinderella's glass slipper is going to fit either team. Win or lose you'll get Belfry's best effort. If you win, it won't be an upset...if you lose it won't be shocking. The same can be said for Belfry.
  6. No. Belfry's first loss was to Ashland..at Ashland..in overtime. We failed on a two point conversion that would have won the game. 2nd loss to Sheldon Clark. Had a 29-7 lead...and simply lost focus. SC wanted more than we did.
  7. I think you're right. Middlesboro, despite playing at Belfry should be the favorite. IMO, YAC (Yds after contact) will be one of the biggest stats of the night. Solid tackling is a must..or this game could get ugly.
  8. Thanks:thumb: Sounds like the same defensive scheme Belfry has seen over the past 35+ games. That being said...I've always been impressed with M-boro's offense. IMO, they've got great quick strike capability. Defenisvely, they've been erratic it seems. Any thoughts?
  9. This will definitely be an interesting contest. Nothing very fancy about Belfry. Turnovers will play a big role in this contest. Curious to see how Middlesboro will defend. Do they a play a "52"? Last year, I believe they played "10 in the box". Can someone verify that? In my old age...my memory is failing me.
  10. RB Harmon from Pikeville should definitely be in the mix. IMO, one of the best backs in the state...regardless of class.
  11. Whoever wins this game will take on Middlesboro or Leslie first. Either one will be a formidable opponent.
  12. I really look for P-burg to play a more of a straight 52 defense than the continued "10 in the box" they've played in the past. IMO, that's the only way they can defend the outside....because P-burg cannot give up the corner edge against Belfry's backs. This game will come down to how P-burg can defend. B-burg's size vs. Belfry's speed. Belfry on the hand...must tighten up in the secondary. P-burg had some open looks in the first contest which resulted in dropped passes. A play or two here or there and it's a different ball game. I still think Belfry has to be the favorite.....but this game will have a different flavor than the first contest. Couple of questions to stew on: 1. How does Haywood combat possible overconfidence by the Pirates 2. How does Derossett keep his kids in it mentally, after the pasting 5 weeks ago, and the domination Belfry has witnessed over the past few years?
  13. P-burg was better than any other team Belfry faced in 2003 and 2004...including E-town and O-Cath. For my money..Belfry was #1 and P-burg was #1-A. No disrespect intended toward any other program...but I believe Cam is right....most Belfry fans would agree with those statements.
  14. This will be an all out brawl. A classic. I think P-burg will win a close one at home.
  15. It was very unfortunate that Roddy's last few years were as dicey as they ended up being. Roddy was a good man...good coach...who simply wouldn't make adjustment based on personnel. One trick pony on offense and for some inexplicable reason, was in love with the 44 Defense. P-burg wasn't the only team who punished his defense up the middle.
  16. Haywood wouldn't allow one of his teams to put up 60 points unless they needed every one to secure a victory. Belfry should roll nonetheless.:thumb:
  17. I think "revenge" channeled properly is a great tool in pre game preparation...especially when breaking down film and looking at individual matchups. Better preparation..stronger mindset...more of a focused approach. I think revenge is a poor mantra if that's all the team/individual is focusing on.
  18. This game will be much tighter than expected. I do think Franklin has the edge... Should boil down to turnovers and DROPPED PASSES.
  19. Why such poor field conditions? Obviously, the entire area has had plenty of rainfall....but there wasn't one other highlight that indicated any other field is such dire conditions. Just odd.
  20. I don't think so. The only one that I really question is the 4th down and 1 or maybe even less than 1...right around midfield..late in the 2nd half. SC definitely had some mojo behind them....I don't know of a better way to turn the worm than convert on a 4th down and keep a drive going. BHS was still up 2 scores at that point.
  21. I tell you what...you said a mouthful!! I agree wholeheartedly!.:mad:
  22. IMO, the 2A champ will come from Mercer, Western, Russell or Belfry. Honestly, I think all have a great chance...but the edge goes to Mercer at this point. A Russell v. Belfry State Semi-Final would be an " ESPN Instant Classic". Two incredibly great coaches..great programs...One great war.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.