Belfry 07

Brewsky

I started a new thread because I didn't want to turn the Russell victory thread into a discussion about next season.

I see another GOOD Belfry team who suffers again from gamebreaking play in the backfield.

I think we will see Lee at FB and May and Hickman at TB. A nice backfield, but not a lot of speed there.

Oh well.. Just thought I would open this up so we wouldn't flood the other thread.

As an overview, we are returning about 7-8 starters on each side of the ball.

Included in that is a 1500 yard rusher in May, a VERY talented young QB in Elkins, and 6 of the front 7 on defense including Phillip Hickman who is an absolute machine.

The big question mark is going to be our O-line, Safety, and who will be the #2 Halfback.

The defense has the potential to be NASTY next year...

Elkins needs to put on 15-25 pounds and improve his upper body strength, he also needs to be hitting QB camps because he has the potential to be the best option QB we have had in a long time

We do have some holes to fill..but I think we'll be fine. If he continues to develop, the Louvern kid could be a real surprise. He has great speed and despite his youth could be someone to add a dimension of speed to the backfield.

But, IMO, Haywood has got to decide if and how he's going to use the Preston kid. This kid is a talent. He's a top notch athlete, that was seldomly used, after the Lawrence Co game...Still unsure as to why he wasn't worked into the backfield rotation. I hope they consider moving him to the TB spot.

IMO, Belfry really needs help at the TE spot. Especially from a physicality standpoint. We're simply not athletic the the ends....which could turn out to be a real problem next year.

Bowens returns with TE experience.

Preston could potentially play TE also. He would be undersized, but offer good athleticism at that postion. From the looks of things, Belfry will need to go airborne a bit more next year, so a recieving TE might be a must.

Preston will be a starting DB for sure next year, I also assume he will be getting considerable time at SE in an offense that will utilize the ends much more.

I think it is imperative that Belfry really focuses on receiver development not only at the TE position but at the SE as well. The number of dropped passes we had was absurd this year, and it came back to haunt us again versuses Russell.

I really feel that if Preston and Elkins have the ability to really form a solid QB-Receiver connection if they are willing to put in the effort. It also appeared to me that throughout the season we never looked for the TE across the middle. Bowens will be back at TE and the kid has alot of talent, especially as a pass catcher,,, but our inability to attack the middle of the field against Russell really hindered us. With the ammount of blitzing they sued and the way they brought their safeties into run support we could ahve piked them apart had Belfry chsoe to go that direction.

LOTS of potential next year,,, but lots of questions as well.

Ohh...you know what I think...

If Belfry has any holes from graduation someone from somewhere will come forward. BHS is even closer to the river now....

:p;)

(admit it...you Belfry people like me better this way :D )

Too bad Johnson Central had such a great season so that they can't send running backs down US 23 to Blackcat Country like before..:D

I am sure there are some relieved Pburg fans to not have to see "Belfry" on the schedule with that infamous star indicating it is a district game.;)

Ohh...you know what I think...

If Belfry has any holes from graduation someone from somewhere will come forward. BHS is even closer to the river now....

:p;)

(admit it...you Belfry people like me better this way :D )

I'd prefer you to "grin & bear it"...but to each his own.:D

Since you guys are in a fun frame of mind...I'll throw out a few stats.

High schools in Mingo Co., WV:

Williamson - 209 students (grades 9-12)

Matewan - 213 students

Mingo Co. has a population of 28,250...

Contrast that with high schools of Johnson Co., KY:

Paintsville - 227

Johnson Central - 1035

Johnson Co. has a population of 23,250...

Where are all those missing students in Mingo Co. going to high school ?!?

:sssh: ;)