Everything posted by GR8BigBull
-
Central 27 Belfry 17
Late in the game when Central had the mishap on a punt, that would have sealed the deal a few years ago. (I believe bad punts cost them a game several years back against Trinity in the playoffs). I do believe the BIG play was the fumble deep in Central's territory with a chance to take a late lead. Congatulations to Central and Ty Scroggins! We were convinced they would be a team to be reckoned with in 3A barely escaping with a win in week 1. Coach had to do an amazing job of keeping them focused on their goal while losing (albeit to 5A and 6A powers) 5 games before the (2 before going into) playoffs.
-
Who wins 6A?
My first thought would be that St. X is the team to beat. That being said, I know that in the past strange things have happened. (St. X wins the regular season meeting and loses to Trinity in the Semis or vice-versa.) I guess it has happened before and could happen again. I just say that the X defense is one of the best I have seen in this area in quite some time. If T can use their (St X's) speed against them with some misdirection, screens and draws then they could pull off the win. I would not be shocked, maybe mildly surprised if they do it.
-
Shelby County @ Boone County (6A)
I second that! The passing of Matthews to Burk and Minnis will be hard to stop for Boone as well. The Rockets can run the ball enough to keep a defense honest BUT that D better get very quick pressure on the QB. Matthews does not hold the ball very long and is deadly accurate. I will have to go with Shelby County in a tight but high scoring affair.
-
St X 27 Manual 7 ( 6A )
I was never questioning whether it was alright or not. Just wanted to know when (or if) the KHSAA ever made a definitive rule on the ST-5 (or any other ball). I can not stand the ST-5 football and would much rather use the Nike or Wilson football. Yes, the St. X defense was (is) great. To beat them, you better be able to use their speed to the ball against them.
-
St X 27 Manual 7 ( 6A )
Good question! I scanned through several of pictures in the Courier Journal online and noticed a close up of the St. X QB also using an older Nike football. I do not know about now but a few years back it was said that ONLY Rawlings ST-5s were to be checked in "especially" for the playoffs. I saw Nikes as well as the Wilson GT ball used at various times this season. Like alot of other things, I guess there is no real "definitve' rule. Do not know what it matters (Brand wise) as long as everyone is using a NFHS approved football.
-
St. X v. Manual
Did I miss something? I thought that they scored on offense three times. Zoeller from 47 yards, Finch from 7 yards then Knotts from 4 yards.
-
Coach John L. Smith
I will agree with this (at least at the Major college level).
-
Second Round: Shelby County @ Madison Central
With all due respect to Minnis, I think the real deep threat is the Burk kid (if he is #23). He seems to have had a few 200+ yard games and a few games with 3-5 TD grabs. I understand he has only played football for 2 seasons and is a baseball prospect. That kid lays out and catches EVERYTHING. Sure does help a QB who passes the ball as much as SC does. Regardless, I thought Shelby County had enough to advance deep into the playoffs. I would not look forward to playing them again (any more than any other team) at this point in the post-season.
-
Owen County Football
This would be good for at least a 4 seed (maybe a 3) this year though!:laugh:
-
Coach John L. Smith
He has been back in Louisville for some time (before the dismal U of L football season). I do not think you can read anything into him being here and possibly looking to return to U of L. Also, his son did play at Eastern HS.
-
St. X v. Manual
I did not take that to mean "dirty" by any means. We would be a different team without our QB in the game as many other teams would say the same thing. In big games you play even more intensely and put the hat on QBs, RBs or anyone you block. Some games you may just "emphasize" that a little (or ALOT) more.
-
Manual 21 PRP 20 OT (6A)
It was a great game and on that had alot of twists, PRP did play like they should have after an extra week off. I am sure they could have played anyone quite respectably in a first round game!!! Too bad they are done for the year!
-
Manual 21 PRP 20 OT (6A)
Another very good informative post! I guess you were there and can tell us what you mean by this! Right!!!
-
PRP v. Manual
It is very subjective to say that Eastern, Ballard and Fern Creek have moved past them. PRP has always been in a very tough district and this year is no different. Say what you will BUT this St. X/Manual/PRP district is still very hard to match. Although PRP is trying to rebound, they have played a very difficult schedule outside of their district and they will be a formidable opponent for anyone.
-
Owen/DeSales
I have heard stories about the practice requirements there but would also like to hear something more detailed.
-
Trinity 55 Seneca 3
Coach Oldham???? Did I miss something?
-
Mr. Football
That RB (Schmitz) from Ryle looked like a stong candidate by his numbers Friday at Fern Creek! What kind of season stats does he have?
-
Shelby County/GRC Predictions
Not only did Manual "almost" lose to Shelby County, we were down by 21 in the first half and again by 20 in the 3rd quarter. It looked like we were doomed from early on when Matthews threw a TD pass on the opening possession and went on to score 2 more before Manual answered. I will say that they have a good chance in any game this season if they play like they did last Friday. They could probably do better against the rush (defensively) or some of the more balanced teams may keep the ball away from their offense long enough to outscore them in a lower scoring game.
-
Shelby County/GRC Predictions
Manual actually scored a TD and a 2 point conversion to come away with the 3 point victory with less than 30 seconds left. A little insight to Shelby County......they are pretty darn good!!! The QB does a great job in moving the team by being composed in the pocket. He does not hold onto the ball allowing a rush to get to him. The OL does a good job of tying up the pass rushers long enough to allow the QB to get rid of the ball. The Rockets have a couple players (#23 & #5) who can stretch the field and make BIG plays when the ball is in the air. The RB (#1) can be a threat to run and catch the ball out of the backfield. Alot of weapons and they came up just short against Scott County then Manual, two pretty good teams in their own rights.
-
Trinity 48 Eastern 12
How was the coaching in THIS game?:confused:
-
X vs. Manual
that kid can kick the ball for sure.(I noted that in an earlier post). He should do fine if he continues putting the kickoff into the endzone and killing the PATs. Is Bosscher going to go to another school in state?
-
X vs. Manual JV's
As far as the JV team, X has some nice speed at the JV the football. The LBs and DBs did a good job in coverage and tackling in the open field. The QB passed the ball very well and RB ran hard, kept his feet busy and ran with a good lean. What year is the JV kicker for St. X? He put about every kickoff well into the endzone.
-
X vs. Manual JV's
Where did I EVER post a comparison between a public grade school or middle school program to a CSAA program? RELAX! I am stating the facts that the Board of Education will not let JUST ANY parent with free time run a sanctioned program at these schools. Wasn't trying to get anyone to drink any Kool-Aid! Just different circumstances that will never allow for the schools to build programs at the grade school or middle school levels.
-
X vs. Manual
Just as many St. X fans here would go down fighting and defending Coach Glaser, many T fans defend Beatty when he is questioned (or attacked), that is all I am doing. I know the man personally and have never heard the things come from his mouth that many of you come on here claiming to have heard first hand. I AM NOT Coach Nichols but have been there when things were attributed to him that he did not say or do. I will agree that we should not judge ANYONE by one or two incidents because I can remember incidents that have been less than stellar for others as well. We can question philosophy and decisions but we do not need to villify anyone who puts in time and dedicates so much to all their programs.
-
X vs. Manual JV's
Again, the resources made available for this to even happen are not there. That is not the fault of the alumnus or parents, coaches, etc. This is just the fact. The Board of Education spends alot of money on the education of students who cannot even afford their own lunch. There is a very different set of problems that face the elementary and middle schools just having a football program started. The coaching staff would probably have to be volunteer because there would be very little money in the system to pay any of them. I won't even start to try and explain that any necessary equipment to even field a team could not be bought. You can probably remember a time when neighborhood kids played for the Firefighters League or Okolona or even Cabbage Patch. Some of the teams benefited from those kids staying at their neighborhood schools and playing together all through high school. This is not a major issue for a school system trying to get some of it's schools to meet goals in the classroom.