Everything posted by remmac
-
36th District Draw
Without checking any record, I know for a fact they played last year in the opening round and also opened against each other three years ago...........that would be two of the last three for anyone counting?
-
Highlands Football Awards Banquet
I'm shocked to see no chatter on this topic...........usually it's three pages long, what happened do they not even celebrate State Championships in Caketown anymore!
-
36th District Draw
Now that the antiquated "let's draw straws", "best two out of three" or simple "flip a coin" has landed.......... we now know the pairings for the 36th District Torney to be played at Bellevue. It's nice to see that this year's draw actually places the two top teams in a position to play in the finals with the match-ups as follows: Newport v Dayton NCC v Bellevue Highlands v Newport/Dayton winner Good luck to all.........
-
Whats wrong with Highlands basketball
The Armory is still up & running with pick-up basketball BUT, it does not have the "summer series" that you are recalling. Unfortunately, the gym does not serve to attract the "better players" from the region as it perhaps did in the past. This is in part because there are quite a few more venues to play and mostly due to the influx (and buy-in) that kids must always be involved in organized play. AAU, blacktop leagues and other indoor leagues have the kids committed to league play and they miss the "open" pick-up game experience. I personally would love to see a summer pick-up opportunity with some history to play a part (former players,etc) but someone has to oversee it and make it happen. Coach Shields had it figured out......do current coaches not see that !
-
Freshmen Regional Tournament hosted by Covington Catholic
Is there anyone who could post team records on that bracket.......just curious?
-
Whats wrong with Highlands basketball
For the old-timers (myself included), let's not forget the climate at HHS is not the same as when Coach Shields arrived on the scene. He was an outstanding coach but he also benefitted from an influx of talent that followed him there and from St Thomas closing a year after he arrived. Despite what we may choose to remember, there were also some lean years.....but Coach Shields was a master at getting the most out of his teams at tourney time. Also, "back in the day" more kids played the sport that was in season and moved on to the next one......in todays world, kids are much more likely to "choose" a sport and not play others, particularly at larger schools. At a smaller school, if you are one of the better athletes, you are expected to play them all (or at least multiple). At HHS a lot of football players could be a factor on the court but their committment to football is too strong. This is reality.......there is still plenty of talent, but unless you have both, it is going to be hard to compete for regional championships regularly. If they would have had a little better luck with the injury bug in the last few years, this discussion might not be taking place? Looking at the future, I like the direction they are going with Coach Flynn. I believe you will see some progression in the development of the program but he will still have to fight the "forces at play" at a school like Highlands....he knows what he signed on for. It would be nice to see the community (Ft.Thomas, student body, alumni, former players,etc) to support the program in a positive way and not always looking at it with a critical eye.........just a thought.
-
Newport Central Catholic 45 Highlands 29
Highlands used a 3/4 court trap for a large portion of the game (Not overly-aggressive with any traps I might add) It did not produce a lot of turnovers but rather dictated where/when NCC was able to set up their offense. The 2-3 zone was initially effective and NCC seemed a little off-guard but figured it out shortly after the Bueter to Giesler play (which was a gem by the way....throw that next time Jake!) Offensively, quite honestly, HHS just doesn't have many scoring threats. Egan & Crowley can bury the 3....Crowley is also a slasher....beyond that, right now it almost has to be a layup. As I stated earlier, Stewart's return is very big for this team. Not because he has to carry the load but because of opportunities created by his presence. I don't see many teams in the 9th this year with any depth, so it's all about match-ups and Stewart helps HHS get some better match-ups/scoring opportunities on the floor. He also requires the opposite team's "Big" to work harder defensively because he is a scoring threat. Sorry but I didn't see the "deflating" that took place from the sideline. Flynn is animated but I wouldn't characterize it as sucking the life out of his players. What I saw was the better team (NCC) settle into their game-plan and beat a lesser opponent (HHS) because they had better players.
-
Newport Central Catholic 45 Highlands 29
Four seniors (Stewart, Crowley, Egan, Dean) three Juniors (Lewis, New, Towles)...........I like the Soph class + True but don't necessarily see any missed opportunities this year on varsity. Unfortunately, it looks like Highlands will be faced with relying on primarily kids coming from the gridiron the next few seasons?
-
Newport Central Catholic 45 Highlands 29
The bottom line on this game is that Highlands does not have enough scorers, period. NCC played some nice D, particularly Hitchew v Crowley and HHS has nobody else to carry the offensive load to score with Stewart out. Egan has come on of late but he generally requires space to get his shot off/same with Lewis. Towles doesn't have great footwork down low and lacks a consistent outside shot. In addition, they go with a six-man rotation w/New being the least scoring threat. I am not knocking Highlands as I have witnessed them stay competetive in games w/out great scoring through good hustle and attitude. Also, all is not lost with the return of Stewart next week, this team gets so much better offensively. Case in point.....last night v. NCC if you add Stewart to the floor, Giesler switches to defend Stewart and Towles becomes a potential mismatch down low and space opens for Egan& Crowley outside. In this game though, Jake was too much for Towles (and most everyone in the 9th) and NCC got stingy on D. I thought Hitchew make Crowley play out of position most of the night and always wonder why coaches don't play mis-matches more often.......I really felt that Crowley should have been isolated on the post to use his height against Hitchew. Also felt that Dean needed to continue to be physical taking the ball at Bueter. Other observations on the younsters.....I saw HHS True show some promise playing against the best big man in the region. Still learning but did some good things. Bueter does a nice job protecting the ball/starting their offense. I hope Towles plays next season (please !) because I do see a lot of potential there........ Regarding the officiating, please refrain from the "short jokes".....
-
With a Bird in charge of the Camels will we see...
I believe that Lickert would love to schedule Highlands..........because that would mean he thinks they are ready to compete at that level ! I don't believe he has any expectation of that happening for several years but I do believe he thinks he can get a program like CampCo. to that level. Like others have noted, he may come knockin in 3-4 years IF he makes good progress in that time.
-
What would happen if a team lost two of their top scores?
The other issue aside from the loss of scoring is that the replacement is usually younger; less experienced = more mistakes. In HS leadership on the floor (particularly senior leadership ) is huge.
-
9th Region Breakdown
I am not suggesting that Geisler is dominant enough to always be a mis-match, however, I am suprised how well he has done against the other bigs so far........ (he hasn't played them all). NCC is very tough if Jake is having the better game down low. Q, I have noticed that as well regarding fouls w/ Jake.... I can't comment on why he doesn't foul out because I haven't seen enough games, but he does play a pretty smart game to avoid fouls. He is probably the one that would be most missed by his team if he did find himself w/prolonged time on the bench w/fouls. The fact that he does stay on the floor is part of the reason he is putting up O&D numbers and playing like the POY so far. Just like injury, the early foul trouble/style of officiating could be the x factor in this regional tourney, particularly for teams like NCC who are not that deep.
-
What would happen if a team lost two of their top scores?
For a high school team it is critical........it isn't that easy to replace scoring in HS. In college, you may have a bench player that is coming off a HS career where he scored 18-20 pts. a game and is used to taking 10-15 shots a game and just needs their chance. That is rarely the case in HS. where replacing scoring is more difficult. Unfortunately for Highlands, that seems to be the case annually with this year being no exception. The best you can hope for is that those replacing them gain experience/confidence and jell with the return of the lost starters. I hate seeing HS kids miss their Sr. yr!
-
9th Region Breakdown
There is still a lot of ball left (and injuries/return from injury) to state anything definitive. I would tend to agree that this region is very undefined at this point. Clearly, NCC, Dixie, CovCath & Holmes can beat anyone in the region but.....you have to win more than one! Match-ups are huge. Geisler is the mismatch for anyone (considering how he fared against Thelan/CovCath) but Dixie has the most well-rounded team. I believe Holmes style could knock anyone from the region on a given night and if Covcath gets a consistent outside shooting game, they could roll through. Darkhorses, I like Conner (hard to believe you can say that about preseason #1 but they have good size to match the favorites) Holy Cross (solid group that seems to be progressing nicely,we'll see how far with the All-A) Highlands (scrappy play/D could be a problem for some; they learned to play w/out Stewart, if he is productive in return he negates the "bigs" advantage over them) Oh, and by the way......thank goodness for all that Scott isn't in the 9th or it would be really interesting! Check back in two weeks, much can change....let's just hope its not to injury. Good Luck to all, can't wait !
-
Covington Catholic 61 Highlands 48
Don't believe everything you read in the Enquirer.....I was there! lol Ryan Egan is a very good shooter and a great kid, I agree that he needs to be a better offensive threat. I watched him last nite and he never seemed to be in the flow of the game....but, he is a spot -up shooter and New, Dean, & Lewis were simply running transition & slashing to the basket, a style contrary to where Egan fits best. I predict he will still have some big scoring nites....
-
Covington Catholic 61 Highlands 48
I enjoyed watching this game.....very entertaining! Thought HHS showed a lot of heart to keep this one close (49-47 with 3:25 left) although I never felt that CCH was really in trouble of losing this game. Reason, Jake Thelan......he was a mismatch with Towles ineffective and Stewart out. Jake is a very solid, composed player and was the difference. I agree with the post that CCH needs to have an outside option to be a legit contender. Reidinger perhaps....Maschinot showed some hustle but doesn't have the shot they need. On the Bluebirds side, obviously a healthy Stewart (&Towles) changes this team (Stewart, Grote, McGraw...the unfortunate setbacks to this program, never take it for granted kids!). Conor Crowley played an inspired game, clearly "getting" what a rivalry game is ! Nice hustle by HHS but they clearly lacked scoring threats aside from Crowley. Overall, CCH is a region contender but tonite is indicative of the parity of the region this year. I believe HHS is a 7-10 ranked team and could clearly upset a CCH team with a healthy Stewart and inspired nite of play.....good luck to both teams, should be an exciting post -season this year !
-
Whats wrong with Highlands basketball
Simple, because most of the better athletes play multiple sports at a smaller school so you are not competing for time against others who are "specializing" in a sport which occurs more at larger schools.........oh, and there are less athletes to compete against.
-
Whats wrong with Highlands basketball
Just to set the record straight, Sully lived in Ft T and Jeff/David Fischer '80, '83 lived in Ft T as well...........on Lafayette (E) which is now Fischer Lane. Stump, I do agree with most of your post above...the players that came to HHS to play for Shields was a factor and certainly the injuries have played havoc in recent years.
-
Whats wrong with Highlands basketball
I believe there are several factors that have affected the recent output of Highlands Basketball program. Certainly coaching change is one. HHS had the Shields/Petty/Messmer continuation that lasted two decades plus. These gentleman worked together for many years and there system evolved from lower levels up. (not to mention the foundation that HOF Shields built. Although Willie played/coached some with group, it was not a "continuation". Coach Flynn will do a great job....given time. He is very enthusiastic (talked with him at the state championship game....yes he supports all the teams) he is working on feeder and will be available to the kids when he retires in a couple of years. He is the right man for the job. Regarding recent years (present one included) one can look atthe injury bug for starters....if McGraw & Simpson "08, are both healthy, Region was a possibility, no seniors on a 21-7 season '09 and last seasons ills.....the hearalded team that never played a single game with everyone healthy/available the entire season and this season three games in with no Stewart/Crowley. Better times ahead folks....stay patien
-
Highlands / Dixie Heights Predictions
I don't think so.........I do think this could be a physical game though. Dixie is too strong for HHS at this point.......the guard play will be the key. I believe that HHS will improve a lot as the season continues and this game could be more competitive if it were in Feb........Dixie by 12 at home.
-
Holmes 88 St Henry 44
Someone here said it best "get used to Holmes pressing". absolutely nothing wrong with that. I personally have no problem with a team pressing for the entire half. If that is the style I am going to employ for this season (particularly if I am giving away size most games), then I better get my kids versed in what it takes to run/press. You shouldn't have to apoligize for playing hard for an entire half....if you get later in the game I agree it's too much, but games aren't over at the half ! Booher will do fine at Holmes and I like that he will push teams in this region with his style........get used to it !
-
Looking for NKY team rosters with height and weight
What happened to Kevan Rice?
-
Highlands vs. Trinity State Championships
First of all, for Highlands you would have to go back and check enrollment to see what class they would have competed in in Ohio in a given year. Too many on here think HHS would be playing Div. I and therefore would have very few titles.....that is absolutely not the case. Second you would have to make some comparison to the strength of that HHS team to the teams that won in each season in Ohio AND the path of travel (opponents in the playoffs that would have been necessary to even make the finals). This doesn't even account for what their season results would have been/which district,conference, whatever...that would have qualified them to make playoffs. Are we done yet ?.........chances are they would have won plenty, probably not 19. (I learned that in Probability &Statistics class in college) Bottom line is who cares.........."you don't live in Cleveland" ! :lol:
-
Highlands 34 Harlan County 6
Warrior 32..........thank you for getting the updates out there. Congrats to a fine season to your Bears.... you are a class act ! Good luck next season...........
-
Best Route to Ryle?
You could exit in Walton cut over to Route 17 past SK....(it will be dark there) thru Independence past UK fan's house (it will be light there because he's home) and to I-275 then back to I-75......a little longer but might be worth it? JK, UK....having a little fun here to keep it interesting !